—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Stranger Reviews

Dan S

February 20, 2012
A minor entry in the legendary career of Orson Welles, concerning a Nazi supporter (Welles) hiding out in Connecticut in the wake of the fall of the German empire, and how a skilled detective (Edward G. Robinson) tracks him down and tries to get him to confess to his true identity. Although boring at times and lacking attention to Welles new life/character that have made him so respected in the town, this movie gets a lot of things correct. Welles larger than life screen presence is consistently watchable, even when his film threatens to lose credibility and go overboard, his sound acting chops and directorial grasp keep it steady. The ending is well-done and fits the film's melodramatic second-half perfectly. Crowd pleasing if occasionally unintentionally funny in its phoniness (Robinson getting knocked out in a gym escapes logic), it is short and sweet and has an interesting enough backdrop to keep you watching.
JonathanHutchings
JonathanHutchings

February 18, 2011
Welles is so technically proficient that even his second-tier works are a clinic in form, camera blocking, and mise-en-scene. Like Bergman, he isn't afraid to use dramatic closeups to communication the emotional tics of his characters, and he always strays clear of the conventional route when it comes to his direction. The Stranger is one of Welles' more political films (which undoubtedly will turn some people off) and some of the plot points are a little far-fetched, but I marvel at how assuredly paced this film is -- culminating to yet another classic Welles-esque ending. It quickens at the right time, and plays out like a scrupulous crescendo. Of course, having one of the greatest noir actors of all time as your lead doesn't hurt either.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
The Stranger or I Married a Nazi (just kidding). A small town is unaware that one of their citizens was a Nazi in WWII, and he lives a normal life until someone comes looking for him. A good movie, with good actors and an interesting story.
jjnxn
jjnxn

December 5, 2009
Wonderfully atmospheric noir with three stars at the top of their game and sensational direction.
Ken S

May 5, 2007
The camera and technique are really the stars in the early film by Welles.
Michael G

November 10, 2006
Really great post war thriller/film noir.
Chris B

June 10, 2011
Traditional in style it may be, but Orson Welles directs a solid noir styled mystery/drama that is a beautiful creation to watch. The B&W cinematography and use of light and dark make it atmospheric and dark and it suits the mood perfectly! Welles besides directing the film, also stars next to Edward Robinson and Loretta Young who all turn in solid performances and make the film even greater that the already solid screenplay permits. I really enjoyed the film and the way the story melds together to form a cohesive whole is beautiful and it really makes me miss the Classic films that have almost all but disappeared from modern cinema. This is a fascinating watch and while not up to Welles legendary and critically acclaimed masterpiece "Citizen Kane", it holds it's own remarkably well!
Mike T

October 20, 2006
Not on par with Welles' best, but still features some stunning technical choices.
Stephen E

September 25, 2012
As much as I hate to admit it, Orson Welles' "The Stranger" is a pretty unremarkable film. It has so much going for it, such as an excellent premise, a colorful cast and a well-equipped director, but these aspects are all squandered. Sure, the cinematography is interesting and lends the film its cold exterior, but other than that, "The Stranger" is shallow and lifeless. It's predictable and boring with an ending so tiresome and put on that it's sure to infuriate (and/or unintentionally amuse) its viewers. On top of that, the characters are near impossible to connect with, and the fact that the actors are so average in their performances makes it even harder to care about them. If there's anything in "The Stranger" worth talking about, that would be its cinematography. That's pretty much it.
David S

February 21, 2011
A disappointing thriller from Welles. I was hoping for much more but the film looks as if it's been tampered with by the studio (the film just stops rather than ends!) and there is little suspense in the story as Rankin's true identity is never in doubt. Robinson is good as the Nazi hunter and Welles is also very strong as Rankin (although he is doing a huge amount of 'suspicious' acting) but aside from a good death scene at the end and some nice technical flourishes this has to be considered one of Welles' lesser works.
Over the Rising Sun
Over the Rising Sun

August 12, 2010
The cinematography is inconsistently brilliant and lacks the deliberate angles of Welles' other films, hopelessly rendering this more of an enjoyable Nazi-hunter thriller than a visual masterpiece. Edward Robinson is great and Orson Welles could have been better. Third film I've seen of Welles (Citizen Kane and A Touch of Evil being the other two) and I watched because I though it would be a little, painless cinematic caper. And I was right, it is; recommended for cinephiles. 79/100
James B

December 22, 2009
Classic Orson Welles! Man can he play a sleazy bastard, or what?! I'm glad I am starting to get into all his work, both as an actor and director. He really was quite incredible!
Marion R

May 11, 2007
Welles again. He is so evil and I think he is better at playing evil characters. I thought it was well directed.
shannylee38
shannylee38

February 5, 2008
It's one of Welles' films that i like the least. But still worth seeing for the cinematography, which the filmmaker is known for.
inhonoredglory
January 7, 2012
Orson Welles always directs somber, dark films with meaning and irony. It's interesting how he directs his own villainy in this one -- as an escaped Nazi hiding in an innocent Connecticut town and marrying an equally virtuous woman (Loretta Young) as a part of his cover. Edward G. Robinson plays the War Crimes investigator that finds him in the town. There is definite tension in this one, and Welles' role is chillingly cunning. Irony is sharp, especially in the concluding scenes and in Welles' speech on German reform. Biblical allusions strengthen the theme. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I hope to see more Orson Welles pictures.
Ken D

February 11, 2010
A decent enough movie that starts off really slow, but picks up and gets very interesting as the movie goes on. Very strong cast through out and much better than I would have given it credit for.
October 26, 2009
Orson is superb once more as a villian, a shrewdly demented Nazi trying to escape into post WWII America posing as a teacher in a small town. Edward G Robinson is the determine but percetive agent on his tail, who runs into him on accident but is not easily conned by his act like the others around the town. There is now shortage of despicable acts that this man would not commit to save his skin from the a faith lot less worse than he had ever handed our and witnessed during his time under the Hitler regime. It will take much wit, wisdom and surreptitiousness to get him to surrender. Great performances from all three leads. Thick with tenaciousness and rift with fury and heady tribulations. Directing is intensive, flawless and keeps you involved and drawn in.
August 4, 2009
I can't think of a single thing that I didnt like about this movie in addition to it being something to watch again. Orson Welles is a master of film noir and he proves that with this gem of Edward G. Robinsons.
macabrescribe
May 17, 2009
This was an excellent movie. I was actually in suspense during the climax, which doesn't happen too often.
mozzer232
May 28, 2008
What a cool movie. Orson Welles really is God and this film that is quite overlooked is goog example of why he is arguably the greatest director of alltime!