Suburbia Reviews

½ April 19, 2013
I just got done watching this beautiful masterpiece of a film and all I can say is wow. I'm just in awe of how real and charming this was right down to the very end. This film shows gives you a realistic view of how teenage punks squatted together in old run down houses in california during the early to mid 80s. Brilliantly directed by Penelope Spheeris, she adds her touch to whatever movie she presents and this was one of her earliest works. No the acting or dialog is not perfect, yes some of it can seem alittle silly at times. That's what makes this movie so good is because it feels like actual real punks that were plucked off the streets and told to act in front of the camera. The only person I recognized during this whole movie was Flea from the Red Hot Chili peppers and that's about it, he only had a few scenes which was good because I'm not a huge fan of him as an actor. Everyone else did a fantastic job being first time actors. I thought the little kid punk did a great job and was an excellent plot device that plays to greater effect at the end of the movie. The only reason I didn't give it the full 5 stars was because there were a few scenes that didn't seem to go anywhere and kinda just wondered about instead of getting to the point. Another negative I'm sorry to say were the 4 minute punk performances by 3 different bands that really didn't add that much to the movie. If they had bits and pieces of songs throughout the movie that would have been better, but it feels like something really dramatic or funny will happen with the characters then they break away to focus on a punk band for 4 or 5 minutes, and that to me was a shame. I really liked the characters and wanted to see them get into more mischief or show them having more interactions with the towns people and each other. I felt like those punk performances even though somewhat nice weren't something that needed to be a focus for that long while the characters in the movie just sat and watched. That being said I loved the rest of the movie! I sorta wondered what it would be like to live in a big empty run down house, with a bunch of punks almost like a big hippie commune in a way but with less hair. I'd say if you're a big fan of punk music like me especially 80s classic punk and like raw realistic 80s drama's that aren't perfect then this would be something for you.
½ October 22, 2011
It doesn't really go anywhere but for a semi-documentary look at american punk rock culture its not bad. I didn't really get on with it all that much and i never really thought much of the gig scene with the girl...
March 16, 2013
A bit forced, but the good outweighs the bad. And the soundtrack kicks.
March 7, 2013
A beautiful, mostly realistic, very gritty and dark, drama of outcast teenage life in Southern California in the 80s. It all feels very real, but it's not a boring drama at all. The characters and simple story are presented perfectly. The movie makes you cry sometimes, laugh other times, feel for the characters, identify with them, and there are some real fun scenes too. The music is wonderful too, the club scenes were some of my favorites in the movie. Spheeris doesn't hold back much from the realism, although you can imagine things being much worse for the characters at times. This movie has both grit and heart. I suppose it's like a gritty dirty heart that you just want to love and cherish. Great cult film, watch it.
½ January 2, 2013
Iconic. Entertaining as a narrative following the film's aimless youth and entertaining as a punk rock time capsule of the early 80s (weather it was n purpose or not).

The only Roger Corman film to ever illicit any sort of true emotion.
August 7, 2012
An angst-laden, gritty mainstay of the punk cult-classics canon - such as I see it. Much of the movie falls flat due to the maudlin, improbable storyline, bad acting and some glaring inconsistencies of plot, but these are often entertaining and so much of the film works that it's easy to forgive problems; this film is simply so full of unique dialogue and brilliant moments that it's easy to forget the clumsiness involved in making them happen.
July 25, 2012
great movie, the story about the social misfits banding together and start a family among towatch over eachother.
April 23, 2012
would have been a great movie, if any of them could act. Loved everything apart from their ghastly acting
April 1, 2012
This just takes me back to high school.
½ February 23, 2012
A great cult classic. The acting is terrible, but knowing that the director found most of the actors on the streets kind of makes up for it. Besides, who doesn't want to watch a bit of bad acting every now and then? There's an amazing performance by T.S.O.L. and some great one-liners. And Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers puts a rat in his mouth. All in all, I was entertained.
January 30, 2012
there is another movie by the same name that was release 13 years later that most people probably saw instead of this one. This is thee correct suburbia, which was release in 1983.
January 15, 2012
interesting movie because director used real punk rockers instead of hired actors
½ August 11, 2011
August 10, 2011
better than Wayne's World
October 16, 2009
This is my three sentence review of Suburbia. Flea is the most skilled actor in Suburbia. Thanks for reading my three sentence review of Suburbia.
½ July 21, 2011
The film doesn't really go anywhere but for a semi-documentary look at american punk rock culture its not bad. There needs to be more films with punk rockers i tell ya!
March 19, 2011
Just watched on Netflix, bad ass movie.
December 9, 2010
great movie. the best there ever was.
December 5, 2010
This is punk rock. Gritty, dark, emotional, brilliant.
½ November 5, 2010