Suspicion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Suspicion Reviews

½ April 11, 2016
Cary's annoying goofiness holds the movie in a turf that's neither comedy nor mystery. The film is saved by the what's-the-truth plot
½ March 28, 2016
The romance between the two characters is developed in a clumsy way in the beginning, but soon the film grows to become a nice, taut thriller directed with a firm grip by Hitchcock, who builds a gripping suspense that only disappoints in the end with a silly, frustrating payoff.
½ April 28, 2012
After the global scale of Foreign Correspondent Hitchcock zooms his focus in to the small and subtle tensions between a husband and wife. One of his most insidious and slowest burners and, with the exception of one or two sexist cases of weak-knee syndrome, his most retrained to date (reining some of the excesses of Rebecca, if never quite reaching its heights). The pairing of Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine is note perfect, the latter transformed from her last Hitchcock appearance into a much stronger character and the former surprises in playing against type; it's hard to imagine anyone else in their place. Best watched in black and white, the master's use of shadow is washed out in the colorized version.
January 23, 2016
Wtf did I just watch?? #1, I don't give a shit how hot Cary Grant is, I would not marry a man who nick names me "Monkey Face" and #2 the best part was the last 5 minutes but even then it leaves much to be desired. Skip this Hitchcock movie
½ October 26, 2012
Suspicion isn't one of Hitchcock's best films, but it surely is one of his better ones as the dialogue is superb, the acting is great with Joan Fontaine delivering a fantastic performance and the movie is filled with the director's trademark great atmosphere and memorable imagery. But it is, most importantly, incredibly funny and charming which surprised me and it is always well crafted, well directed, really well acted and immensely engaging.
½ December 10, 2015
Not Hitchcock's best, but a mesmerizing thriller all the same.
½ March 25, 2015
so uncomfortable all the way through, cary grant is amazing. i actually found the ending to be ambiguous (did he open the door and just fail to complete his mission since she was prepared for it? is he lying about paris still?) so i don't see the dull hollywood ending that others see. i imagine as they drive home, she's still wondering if he's dangerous or if she's delusional.
December 29, 2014
This movie about a charming scoundrel who seduces a wealthy heiress takes a while to get going, and has a bit of a thin plot, but moments of suspense and the good looking lead couple make it worth watching.
½ June 13, 2015
Oh dear me, time has not been kind to this Hitchcock movie. Joan Fontaine needs a punch in the face to bring her to her senses as the drippy, simpering lead, charmed into marrying the decidedly shady Cary Grant. There's an awful lot of swooning and staring into the middle distance as Fontaine gradually becomes convinced that her gambling husband is planning to do her in in order to get an insurance payout so he can pay off his debts. Grant's character is totally insufferable, made all the more so by the constant affirmations from his friends that he's such a great guy. I'm sorry but he's a total c@!t and Fontaine, all the worse for putting up with him. The film ends in a totally rushed and unsatisfactory manner, leaving a nasty taste in the mouth and a complete feeling of having been let down. It just does not work, either as a suspense or melodrama and to the modern viewer, confirms all the worst ideas of just how appallingly sexiest the era was.
April 6, 2015
Eerie and tense, Hitchcock's #suspicion is a masterpiece thriller. Featuring wonderful performances from the cast, any Hitchcock fan will be pleased.
April 21, 2015
Not one of Hitchcock's best works although it does feature an interesting semi departure for Grant. Ultimately I felt let down by a weak ending.
January 29, 2015
A lesser known Hitchcock, Cary Grant stars in one of his more complex roles while Hitchcock casually redefines what a glass of milk can symbolise. Full review later.
January 18, 2015
Grandes Cary Grant y Joan Fontaine , un thriller del maestro Hitchcock donde nada es lo que parece.
December 28, 2014
Hitchcock (always a master self-plagiarist) here provides shades of Rebecca (1940), a recent hit for him. So again, we see Joan Fontaine anxious and doubtful of her husband (but this time she won the Oscar she was earlier denied). Cary Grant plays the charming cad well enough for us to think that he could be a murderer (which is what Fontaine eventually suspects - hence the title). Accounts differ as to whether the censors (or Cary's backers at the studio) tampered with the ending or whether Hitch wanted all along to portray a woman's paranoid fantasies. Indeed, things are mostly ambiguous most of the time - although we can probably agree that Cary is irresponsible and thus rather unlikeable. No real MacGuffin here but a glowing glass of warm milk that may be spiked with an untraceable poison is a memorable touch. A key plank in the construction of Hitchcock's image, if not his best work.
December 28, 2014
one of hitch's best efforts
December 27, 2014
Directed by the Master of Suspense, this is a really good thriller. Joan Fontaine gives an amazing performance, and deservedly won an Oscar (the only actor for an Alfred Hitchcock movie).
½ November 29, 2014
One of the most overtly Hitchcockian pictures the great director has ever produced.
October 19, 2014
Cary Grant was always wearing a tux, drinking excessively, and driving recklessly in movies from the '30s & '40s! lol This Hitchcock classic is no exception. The set-up is a little slow but the tension in the last half is great. There are also some fantastic shadowy shots - ol' Hitch sure was a master! The abrupt ending was a letdown, though - maybe because Hollywood altered it from the book. 4-ish stars
½ September 27, 2014
an inexcusable final scene ruins great Grant and Fontaine performances
½ September 14, 2014
A 1941 film criticizing patriarchy through a murder suspense story brings a smile from ear to ear. Suspicion also delivered wonderful production design and cinematography. Some of the lighting trickery and shot composition was nothing short of forgettable. However, this film had a fatal flaw, especially considering Hitchcock's undeniable ability of one crucial story component-- suspense. The story had a dire lack of it. I found plot beats repetitive, unsurprising, and even uninteresting. I was waiting for it to ramp up in the slow-brew fashion you can expect from this legendary filmmaker. Even if Grant pushed Fontaine out of the car at the end of this film, the journey to this point, was not a roller coaster of mystery-- the audience never trusted Cary Grant's character. I have to say I'm disappointed with this film as the story and acting performances were certainly forgettable.