• PG, 1 hr. 55 min.

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Three Amigos! Reviews

Lucas M

May 21, 2011
Funny and memorable, Three Amigos!, gonna make a lot of people laugh. Martin, Chase and Short are a amazingly ensemble.
cosmo313
cosmo313

January 7, 2012
John Landis has had a very spotty career. And, as much as I wanted to really like this, it is unfortunately one of his misses.

The concept is a mixture of a few things, namely The Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven with the whole shtick about actors who get confused for the characters they play, but end up becoming like their characters. The specific plot for this high concept involves three recently fired silent era actors known for playing singing, dancing, fighting mariachis who get hired by a naive Mexican woman to save their village from a band of marauders. Due to some mixups, the trip think they're being hired for a special public appearance, not (initially) realizing that the bullets being fired at them are real this time.

The director is there, the cast (Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Martin Short) are there, and the concept is definitely there, so I have no idea what happened here.

This movie is shockingly flat, dull, not really all that funny, and just a real missed opportunity. Almost all of the jokes fall flat, everything just feels really stale, contrived, and dumb, and I kept being reminded of all the better movies that this film apes off of and fails to be a successful farcical send up of.

Yeah, the music (the score primarily) is good, and there's a couple of moments that did make me genuine laugh, but I really can't remember what they are sadly. Everyone seems to be on autopilot, and I just can't stress enough how dull and disappointing this is.

When I saw Roger Ebert's one star review, I was surprised at how he could have disliked this movie so much. Now that I've seen it myself, it's painfully obvious. I thought that Spies Like Us was a dull effort from Landis, but this makes that one look like a damn masterpiece.
Phil H

October 11, 2007
Now this is a classic...nay legendary 80's comedy, I guarantee you'll laugh your ass off, if you don't then your too young to remember these SNL allstars. The plot is daft and has now been rehashed many times but the comedy is gold. There are so many funny moments, the whole film is just non stop, really...all that's missing is John Candy. I can't stress enough how good this is, its one of the all time best feel good comedies you will ever see, up there with 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles'

They don't make comedies like this anymore because no one can beat a cast like this, once in a lifetime and that's it. A treasure of a film.

'oh great..you just shot the invisible swordsman'
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
I'll preface this by saying that this a movie I grew up with and watched quite a bit between the ages of 5 and 10. I had forgotten a lot of it until seeing it again recently. It's not one that I currently watch over and over, mainly due to its being missing in any decent DVD release. Recently, Three Amigos was almost reluctantly released on Blu-ray, and I'm sad to say that I have to now nitpick this movie a bit, despite my enjoyment of it. There are things that I hadn't noticed before. First of all, the film is uneven tonally. It starts out with the scene of Carmen entering the bar looking for help. It's a dramatic western sort of scene that doesn't have any comedy in it and doesn't jive well with what follows. Second, Chevy Chase doesn't seemed all that entralled to be in this movie. Perhaps it's his deadpan comedy acting, but he seems bored to me. Third, having seen some of the cut footage, it's clear to me that the people of the village aren't set up properly. We feel no real sympathy for them because we haven't seen them in happier times, which is what was in the original opening to the film. Maybe I'm just wrong about all of this. Perhaps the final version of the film is the best that it can be. It's a strange combination of ideas that's been put together and a proper tone was probably difficult to establish in the first place. I hold it in high esteem for enjoyment and nostalgic value, but cosmetically I think I could have been better.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
An awesome comedy adventure movie with the funniest comedians of the 80s! I highly recommend this movie, it's hilarious.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
Some comical moments, particularly the song and dance scene, but not quite as amusing as I had anticipated.
Spencer S

July 23, 2010
Another great Steve Martin screenplay and performance. Chase and Short make up the ensemble, and the whole film is amazingly enjoyable.
Richard C

July 23, 2010
C-
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

March 29, 2007
I was shocked when I discovered I hadn't reviewed this despite writing many reviews, since it is one of my favorite comedies of all time. It may even rank as the funniest movie I've ever seen. It just has a ton of laughs, start-to-finish, and without all the raunch and profanity of today's comedy films - although it's no "Bambi," that's for sure.

Not only does the dialog produce numerous laugh-out-loud scenes but so do all the sight gags, nd there are plenty of those. The funniest characters in the film are the villains, led by "El Guapo," played by Alfonso Arau. He is almost indescribable. All he has to do is open his mouth and show his bad teeth and then give his huge smile and I crack up every time.

The three leads - played by Steve Martin, Matin Short and Chevy Chase - are all excellent and in the primes of their careers. The film also is directed by John Landis, who has a knack for directing extremely entertaining movies. Just look at his resume on the IMDb. This film was written by Martin, Lorne Michales of "Saturday Night Live," and songwriter Randy Newman. Kudos to all of them for a job well done.

In addition to the great comedy, decent language and color characters both good guys and bad guys, was the beautiful cinematography. There is a very colorful-looking film and looks outstanding on DVD.

Overall: this is what entertainment is all about.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
Classic 80s comedy mocking "The magnificent seven" and other heroic Western films, but mostly making fun of itself as three Western actors are hired to save a Mexican town from bandidos. It's all so wonderfully silly with lots of great gags and quotes we've been carrying around with us for as long as the film exists. One of the funniest films of the 80s.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 1, 2009
lol this Movie is so funny.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
I love this film but unfortunately it was the last time Martin, Short and Chase were funny.
skactopus
skactopus

October 5, 2008
What can I say? Martin Short, Chevy Chase, and Steve Martin all leading the western comedy known as the Three Amigos. That sounds like a great combination for laughs and it is.The plot is nothing new when it comes to westerns. A group of guys come to a village to fend off a local bandit. There is nothing more to it other than the fact that Short, Chase, and Martin are western movie stars mistaken for gunfighters. I guess this is where the laughs begin.This flick has everything a comedy western needs. Horses, dirt, bars, guns, songs, a showdown, and laughs. The laughs do come in spurts and it is in the form of stupid humor, which is great. There is actually a singing bush in here. My biggest complaint is that this movie doesn't take the humor far enough. No one will be taking this movie seriously, so why not run with it and keep the stupidity constantly coming.Before I move on, I will mention that the song that the three perform in the middle of this film is a perfect western tune. "Blue shadows on the trail ..."There isn't much to the acting. Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short are all their comedic selves. Patrice Martinez is worth a stare and Alfonso Arau looks like Eric Bogosian. That is all I have to say about that.Three Amigos is a good recommendation for those who seek a comedy with a plethora of memorable quotes. "Well, you told me I have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is."
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Hilarious comedy about three actors who get mistaken as real action heroes.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
You son of a motherless goat.
Jon L

December 6, 2007
One of my favorite comedies.
garyX
garyX

December 28, 2006
A guilty pleasure if ever there was one. I can't help laughing, and hate myself for it!
Lafe F

July 14, 2007
A classic 80's comedy. I really enjoyed the premise of three Hollywood Amigo actors who are summoned to defend a town against real outlaws. There are plenty of great scenes, and it doesn't get too corny or sentimental.
Beefy
Beefy

April 25, 2007
Classic, if simply for introducing the word "plethora" to me.
EightThirty .