Top Secret! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Top Secret! Reviews

April 17, 2016
Solid effort from the makers of Airplane! (with help from Canadian Writer/Director Martyn Burke) that produces enough to make worthwhile but never attains the level of Airplane! Unusual mix of Elvis and WWII spy films, which may hold it back some.
½ March 13, 2016
3/12/2016: One of the better "spoof" movies imo. It had some silly/funny moments.
½ January 23, 2016
A delightful spoof! A few of the jokes are dated (as this came out in 1984, and I wasn't born until 1985, I don't get some of them), but most of the gags are classic. The music is amazing! Great parodies and pastiches of American rock classics. Overall, worth watching for fans of the Abrahams Zucker spoofs.
Watched on DVD at home, January 23, 2016.
September 17, 2015
Man, this spoof spy film had some awesome set ups and some incredible gags, and a lot of unique stuff that was so absolutely hilarious that all the disgusting raunchy toilet humor was absolute unnecessary and had no real place in the film. It went from being a classic comedy film a father could put on for his whole family to a pile of fecis I wouldn't subject upon anyone. It stinks!!
September 8, 2015
One of the 10 funniest movies ever made.
½ August 24, 2015
one of the best comedies
August 21, 2015
I think I'm in the minority on this one. It gets funnier towards the end when there's more slapstick and zaniness going on, but I found the east German satirical stuff in the first half to be dated and unfunny. There have been funnier movies making fun of east Germany than this, and there have been funnier slapstick comedies.
½ August 18, 2015
"Latrine!" This movie still makes me laugh.
½ August 17, 2015
I'm sure you know what to expect from the creators of the amazing Airplane and Naked Gun. This film is, honestly, no different from those two films, at all. That's why this review probably won't be very long, but I did have an absolute blast watching this. And, for a movie that's 31 years old, it actually holds up really fucking well. Outside of some jokes, that are obviously relevant to the time and era the film was released in, that someone born post-1984 won't understand, like the Mel Torme jokes, which was one of the few segments of the film that fell flat, to me, mostly because I had no idea what they were talking about. So, in a way, through no fault of my own, that's on me, since I simply didn't understand the context of what was going on, other than suggesting that perhaps Mel Torme wasn't particularly talented or good-looking. If that wasn't it, then I simply did not understand it. But, other than that, and maybe other part of the film where the jokes didn't really hit, the film threw so much shit out there that it was actually quite impressive when a good percentage of the jokes actually hit. With films like these, where you throw everything but the kitchen sink out there, it shouldn't be a surprise when there are as many misses as there are hits. That's just the lay of the land. High risk means high rewards, but it also means you could also fall flat on your face. But, thankfully, this film is really funny for the most part. This is a movie that actually gets funnier as it goes along. It doesn't peak early and then falls off a cliff. So that's also something to commend, because there are so many comedies I've seen that taper off after their peak. Even films that I would consider better than this. I'm not even gonna go through all the jokes in the film, because then I would be here forever. But you know what to expect from these guys. Lots of silly lines, goofy sight gags, like a character looking like he has his feet on his desk, but it turns out that it's just his boots positioned to look that way. Stupid shit like that, honestly. It's stupid, but it's really funny and cleverly done. There's some moments of self-awareness, but it leads to one of the funnier moments in the entire film. I had so much fun watching this and I simply can't recommend it enough. It might not be as good as Airplane or the first Naked Gun, but it's a consistently really funny film from top to bottom. It's just that good. It's severely underrated as well. I think being stuck between Airplane, Police Squad and Naked Gun didn't do it any favors, but it's only really a step below those films (and series) that I mentioned. I'd definitely recommend it, it's an absolute blast to watch.
½ August 11, 2015
Though not as enjoyable or charming as Airplane, Top Secret is nether less manic fun in the right direction of a spoof.
½ August 9, 2015
It's not funny but i like the references, especially the Elvis theme
½ August 7, 2015
Top Secret is the one of the most hilarious movies i have ever seen, Val Kilmer was so young and funny, Omar flashing scenes was pretty cool, everytime i feel bored i put this movie on ...
½ May 16, 2015
Somewhere between "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun," the Zucker brothers made this overlooked spoof comedy starring a young Val Kilmer.
½ June 5, 2015
Just downright funny.
½ May 13, 2015
82% on my Tomatometer.
April 14, 2015
Just out of whack and crazy enough parody to work.....got to hand it to this movie because it sure does go for it.
April 5, 2015
Reflection on romantic movies.
½ February 8, 2015
A ojos del público actual, una comedia como Top Secret! puede verse como simplona o fácil, pero lo cierto es que su humor, aunque a veces burdo, no deja de ser inteligente, especialmente en el uso del chiste en segundo plano. Algo lógico, teniendo en cuenta que viene de los escritores de Aterriza como Puedas, David Zucker y Jim Abrahams.

En esta ocasión además contaron con la presencia de un jovencísimo y carismático Val Kilmer, antes de hacerse famoso con papeles como Batman o El Santo.

Sin duda una divertida comedia de las que ya no se hacen.
January 31, 2015
I simply loved this movie
January 29, 2015
A lesser-seen ZAZ collaboration, Top Secret! is full of brilliant gags and a fantastic parody of spy films. Full review later.