91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

88% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Treasure Island Reviews

January 20, 2014
Still Disney's best pirate movie.
March 2, 2010
"Ye come seekin' adventure and salty ol' pirates, eh? Sure ye come to the proper place." Disney's first pure live action film is still a real treasure. The movie captures the spirit of the classic story and Robert Newton gives a legendary and influential performance as the scoundrel Long John Silver. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
August 7, 2013
Ahh, the classics! What a movie. The action, the dialogue, the acting, the scenery--all wonderful. Young boy Hawkins finds a treasure map on an old dead pirate. A doctor and an old Captain agree to help Hawkins find the treasure map. But first they need a crew. They find Long John Silver, a retired pirate, now running his own tavern. Long John Silver gets his old crew together to set off on this adventure. But Long John Silver has other plans for the treasure. But can he betray young Hawkins, whom he has taken a liking to?
Thomas P.
June 13, 2013
Absolutely wonderful work by Disney.
May 20, 2013
Saw it as a kid and loved it!
April 24, 2013
Just watched this for the umpteenth time last night. Very exciting and colorful rendition of a great book. Although Robert Newton ends up looking like Keith Moon's father, his performance is so good that you really root for the villain.
July 5, 2007
Robert Newton gives a terrific performance as Long John Silver. There are some great set pieces and the colour photography is beautiful to look at, but I found the film a tad dull overall. It's a shame, because it's one of the greatest adventure tales ever written. I don't think any film production has ever really done the book proper justice.
rodjeckrich
March 21, 2013
Remember when Disney used to have entertaining products that you could watch as a kid and adult on a Saturday? Robert Newton made a great Long John Silver.
March 11, 2013
Great adventure film.
March 1, 2013
Aaargh, matey! Them that dies will be the lucky ones--Robert Newton's signature role!!
January 7, 2012
I don't know why this review is here because I haven't seen it. Some RT screwup.
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
October 10, 2012
THE classic pirate movie
Robyn M.
August 22, 2012
"Missing that special Disney magic."
May 12, 2012
The beauty of these old films (which I watched at my grandparents as a child) is their theatricality; they have the feel of a grand stage play. Treasure Island is the real deal: adventure, excitement, and real acting, villains with nuance and even sympathy.
March 23, 2012
Pretty good even if some Stevenson's details are left aside but are perfectly rearranged to make the history run smoothly. Kids had fun. Good old style acting
August 15, 2007
The pirate just freaked me out in this classic Disney movie.
KevinRobbins
July 18, 2011
Don't be afraid of those village rats. Don't under estimate them either.

The British are seeking a buried treasure in the Caribbean that was left their by Captain Flint. The British take in a local orphan, Jim Hawkins, on their treasure hunt. The ship also includes several members of Captain's Flint's former crew, including the legendary John Silver. Can the British count on Hawkins and Silver to obtain the gold or will the pirate John Silver act as pirates fo and steal the gold for himself?

"By god I did have a sea cook right out of his talent."

Byron Haskins, director of Captain Sinbad, War of the Worlds (1953), Jet Over the Atlantic, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, and September Storm, delivers Treasure Island. The storyline for this picture is interesting and reminded me of the recent Pirates of the Caribbean pictures. The action scenes were better than anticipated and the acting was perfect for the content. The cast includes Robert Newton, Bobby Driscoll, and Basil Sydney.

"Sweetened to sooth your taste."

I happened to come across this flick and decided to give it a shot. I have watched several classic swash buckling pictures lately so I thought this would be a nice addition to the genre. I was right. This is a very fun picture. The entire family watched and enjoyed this film. If you are a fan of the recent Pirates of the Caribbean pictures, you should see this.

"What fool has a bible?"

Grade: B
AJ V

September 5, 2010
This is one of my favourite old Disney movies, it's fun and exciting and such a great adventure movie. It's not just a good kids movie, adults will find this movie fun and exciting too.