The Trip - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Trip Reviews

October 27, 2013
This is a very interesting low Budget feature about the effects of LSD. The Trip, directed by Roger Corman with a script by Jack Nicholson is a well acted film that works as a commentary of drug use. The actors in the film to prepare for the film actually took LSD as well as the film's director, Roger Corman. For a low budget film, The Trip is pretty good for what it sets out to do. Considering its topic, this isn't a film for everyone, but to those who enjoy B movies, yo0u may enjoy watching this one. As it is, it's well acted, and it does show the effects of the drug. Eccentric, plainly weird and off the wall, this is among the most bizarre pictures that I have seen in quite some time. However, I quite the film, and the story, though flawed, is fairly good and the film's cast is engaging enough to keep you involved. Like I said, The Trip isn't a film for everyone, but this is mostly for Cult film fans, and even then, it's pretty weird. The film interesting in how it shows us the effects of LSD, and of course that's the centerpiece of the whole movie. Viewers looking for an elaborate, in depth film with a great story will be disappointed. The Trip has a good cast and story, but it never is anything excellent. This was made at the time where everyone was using LSD, so Corman naturally decided to make a film about its effects, it is an accomplished cult film and I've seen my fair share of farfetched films, but The Trip is definitely a prime example of eccentric cinema at its most unhinged.
September 5, 2010
The Trip is literally an acid trip, written by Jack Nicholson himself, and starring Peter Fonda as the guy on a trip, which is really psychedelic, but sometimes kinda slow and boring. Overall, good, but I didn't care much for it.
July 19, 2007
Fascinating and trippy movie.
½ June 8, 2011
There's a scene in here in which Peter Fonda wanders into someone's house which is very reminiscent of Robert Downey's real life escapade.
June 13, 2008
Incredibly dated and more than a little goofy. Nonetheless, this is what cult movies are all about. Features a script written by Jack Nicholson.
August 10, 2013
A psychedelic, trippy ride to bordom and back. Maybe this movie would appeal if you were actually under the influence of LSD like our subject, but viewed in complete sobriety, it was nothing short of a chore to get to the end of this insomnia cure.
½ December 16, 2012
When you're high on Acid, everything is real!
½ December 14, 2012
You'd get just what you'd expect from a 1967 film written by Jack Nicholson, directed by Corman and starring Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper about an acid troip.

Not great but entertaining enough, great 60's psychedelic feel and look. Still it does portray an lsd experience well enough for it's limitations.
March 7, 2012
As a very under appreciated author, this movie is a very powerful message of love and twisted reality. The experimental film making expresses the experiment of LSD by Peter Fonda.
½ June 22, 2011
acid trip in the 60s, how can i not love it lol
½ July 28, 2009
Go for Psych-Out (1968) instead
½ May 5, 2011
Let's really try to contact one another.

Paul Groves is a television commercial director that is struggling with the thought of his wife leaving him. He decides to begin taking LSD that is provided to him by a friend. The Trip follows Groves through an array of sequences where he is high on LSD and unable to comprehend the world around him.

"If it happens again, just go ahead and die."

Roger Corman, director of Bloody Mama, The Tomb of Ligeia, The Terror, The Raven, The Haunted Palace, Pit and the Pendulum, and The Little Shop of Horrors (1960), delivers The Trip. This picture was written by the infamous Jack Nicholson. Fortunately, Nicholson pursued a career in acting and not writing because this movie is awful. You'd have to be on LSD to find this picture interesting. The cast is solid in name only and includes Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Susan Strasberg, and Bruce Dern.

"Just let everything flow, flow right to the center of everything."

This picture grabbed my attention when I saw it possessed similar elements and components to the great Easy Rider picture; unfortunately, this film is a dud and a complete waste of time. There was little direction, plot points, and an unfulfilled conclusion. Overall, I recommend skipping this picture.

"I am guilty."

Grade: F
November 14, 2010
I love that Movie a Psychedelic Trip trough the Mind of a Man who search for Cognizance the best Roger Corman Movie i ever saw
½ July 23, 2007
I remember first watching this movie, It was late at night and I was just flicking through the channels and stumbled upon it. This is a gem of a movie if you ask me.

Maybe it can only be appreciated by those who have indeed taken psychedelic trips. It reminded me of many of my 'nights' however I wasn't so much in the public view as Peter Fonda's character was.

In one scene of the movie in the midst of LSD madness, Paul [Fonda's Character] breaks into a house and befriends a little girl for a few minutes only to be shouted out of the house by her father. [Poor Paul]

Paul also has some fun hallucinations at the local laundry mat, He also walks up and down the streets like a cracked out mexican who has lost his way.

What I am trying to say is: This is a fun film and if you're into the drug culture this film can very be appreciated. More so for it's comedic aspect other than it's drug aspect.

"Do you feel that? The life, it's just flowing off it like energy! It's all over...all over my hands! It just runs down my arm..."--Peter holding an orange while on LSD
March 14, 2004
(No, not the crappy band.)

The Trip (1967) ***

Mildly disappointing LSD flick from the Corman factory written by Jack Nicholson. Peter Fonda is the TV ad director who decides to go on an acid trip, guided by his friend Bruce Dern. Cue a lot of psychedelic light effects, incessant cuts, gratuitous Dennis Hopper and a lot of paranoid freaking out. Frankly, unless you?re on acid yourself, the film becomes rather redundant after a while; despite only being an hour and twenty minutes long, it feels interminable. The cast (which also includes Susan Strasberg in a thankless role as Fonda?s ex-wife, who he keeps hallucinating about) do their best, but it?s obvious (despite the cheesy, tacked-on message at the beginning of the film) that the movie was made for people who were stoned. It doesn?t quite have the peculiar charm of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (which suffered from a similar fate, but was strangely entertaining and simultaneously headache-inducing) nor does it work too well as a coherent story. It?s still not a bad movie; it?s pretty well-made in spite of all this, and it certainly seems realistic (Fonda, Nicholson, Corman and Dern all did some ?research? before shooting) but that doesn?t help it much.

Dirty Pretty Things (2003) ***1/2

Captivating (though flawed) study of a Nigerian exile named Okwe (Chiwetel Eijofor) who lives in London, dividing his time between jobs as a cabbie and hotel receptionist. He finds a human heart in a toilet and uncovers a organ-trafficking ring that?s being led by none other than his greasy boss (Sergi Lopez). The thing is, he particularly targets immigrants, refugees and illegal aliens? including Senay (Audrey Tautou), the young Turkish woman with whom Okwe shares an apartment. Very compelling story is well-presented by director Stephen Frears and superbly-acted by the cast, but shy away from the film?s core and problems soon arise. The supporting characters are rather one-dimensional (none more so that the traditional hooker with a heart of gold or the two maniacal Immigration cops, one of whom even has a mustache that just begs to be twirled) and when the film hits its first ?twist?, it becomes relatively easy to see where the movie is going.

City of Joy (1992) ***

Passable mini-epic set in Calcutta stars Patrick Swayze as a selfish American doctor who has a young patient die on him and decides to go find himself in Calcutta. There he meets a farmer (Om Puri), new to the city, who eventually becomes a rickshaw driver. Meanwhile, Swayze builds a free clinic and a big fat evil guy makes the rickshaw man?s life hell. The rickshaw story is ten times more interesting than anything Swayze ever does in the movie; if Swayze was anywhere near decent as a actor, this would be forgivable? but seeing as how he is one of the most boring actors I?ve seen, it makes the dullness of the storyline twice as infuriating. Puri is much, much better and his storyline is actually much more entertaining. This is the kind of epic-lite that makes for passable viewing in a class where anything else would be much, much more boring.

12 Angry Men (1957) *****

A deceptively simple concept: 12 jurors, one room and one decision to make. It's the kind of premise that makes for a good little potboiler... but the fanatical attention to detail present in Reginald Rose's script and the intensity of the performances (coupled with Lumet's airtight direction) raise this well above a simple B-movie whodunit. Henry Fonda is Juror #8, assigned (with eleven other men) to the murder case of a young man who is accused of killing his father. #8 is the only one who believes that the young man is not guilty, and he sets out to get everyone to change their mind. Completely airtight in its development, the film builds suspense with nothing but character development and dialogue. The top-notch cast (besides Fonda, the film also stars Lee J. Cobb, Ed Begley, Jack Warden, Martin Balsam, E.G. Marshall, Jack Klugman and a handful of other venerable character actors) makes this the best film of its type; many have tried to follow in its footsteps... but few have achieved what this has.

Lost in La Mancha (2003) ***1/2

Originally intended as a DVD extra, this documentary documents the short, troubled production of Terry Gilliam's "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote". The film follows an eager Gilliam through pre-production as he secures the cast (Johnny Depp, Jean Rochefort, Vanessa Paradis) and sets up his pet project, an overly ambitious fantasy he has been planning for ten years. As they draw closer to the first shooting day, however, problem after problem befalls the production: the soundstage is horrible, Rochefort gets sick, the weather is so awful that shooting cannot be continued. Lost in La Mancha is a fascinating film because there rarely are making-of movies for movies that never get made. It'S interesting to see how it works when it doesn't work... but the film remains a glorified DVD extra, glossing over certain aspects of the film and devoting too much time to footage of the filmmakers sitting around wondering what to do. Ironically, the minimal amounts of footage that were shot are tantalizing... but unlike DVD extras, you'll never see the movie.