Unfaithfully Yours - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unfaithfully Yours Reviews

½ June 17, 2011
Another supposed all out comedy from legendary director Preston Sturges leads me to the same conclusion I reached with The Palm Beach Story: comedy wasn't all that evolved in the forties. Much like the romantic comedy filth of today, the forties and fifties were overcrowded by overtly painful films that were not only unfunny, but given recognition where it was not due. For much of the movie Rex Harrison plays the flirtatious role of a devoted husband with an air of feminine wiles and frivolity, better showcased in his performance as Professor Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady opposite Audrey Hepburn. Here he is shown as a conductor, brilliant and lauded by music lovers and his young wife, who he spoils endlessly. As the plot "thickens" Harrison's character is told his wife is unfaithful, and during a few dramatic dream sequences we are shown the many situations in which he would deal with his suspicions towards his wife. The first is the only truly funny and original part of this entire film, starting slowly much like the rest of this drag fest, but quickly gains momentum, turning into one of the biggest surprises of Post Code Hollywood I've ever seen. If only the whole movie could attain such excellence, it would be a decent black comedy. Instead we're pained with over the top slapstick and dialogue that irks anyone of the wit persuasion, especially the ending, which is glosh galore. Steer clear of Sturges.
May 21, 2007
A delightfully dark comedy
October 24, 2010
Another romantic comedy, pretty average.
½ March 27, 2007
Absurd, in a fun way, black comedy of Rex suspecting Linda is cheating and the plots he hatches all set to great classical music. Rex has his best Hollywood part aside from "My Fair Lady". Linda Darnell is ravishing, her dresses amazing. Barbara Lawrence is super in a small part. The dialogue quick and witty.
September 21, 2007
This is an amazingly dark comedy for the time it was made. A famous conductor suspects his wife of having an affair and imagines three different ways to deal with the problem according to the mood of the music he is conducting: murder, russian roulette or the surrender of his wife to her 'suitor'. Rex Harrison is magnificent in this.
½ December 14, 2008
So simple it operates itself!

During the first half I was wondering why this is so highly regarded as a classic comedy. There are hardly any jokes, some lame slapstick, and Rex Harrison plays an insulting boor of a conductor. What gives?? Aha, it takes that long to get to the good stuff as Harrison, while conducting 3 pieces of music, mentally plots 3 methods of revenge against his wife whom he suspects had an affair with his assistant. The way these are presented is ingenious: every detail of every plan in his mind goes perfectly, but when he tries to replicate them in real life everything goes completely haywire in a gaspingly hilarious manner. So in truth there are about 20 minutes of actual comedy in this film, but they are some of the best 20 minutes of laughs you could hope for.
½ April 4, 2011
I feel that this one may grow on me with a repeat viewing or two, but my initial impressions were that it was all over the map, tonally speaking, as our lead imagines all manner of awful things happening to his wife, who he suspects of cheating on him, as well as horrible ends for himself and her lover.

Knowing where the film ends up on a 2nd viewing, this one may allow me to see more humor or enjoy the imagined asides, but for now my initial impression was very middle for the road for this classic.

Give it a peep, make your own call.
September 6, 2008
"I doubt that you played Russian Roulette ALL THE TIME with your father"

the quick witty dialogue in this delightful black comedy is hilarious, the scenes of physical comedy aren't so much and make the flick feel more dated than it would otherwise. rex harrison is masterful in the lead role.
September 23, 2006
watch this film with your significant other, doing something you both love, like eating chocolate covered strawberries, or snorting methamphetamines off of a dead rat.
March 5, 2015
Rex Harrison wants desperately to be in a manic Preston Sturges movie (such as The Palm Beach Story or The Miracle of Morgan Creek) and he heroically tries to make it so. Just look at him thrashing about his apartment destroying stuff on his own. It's a bit sad really because this film shows Sturges running out of steam. The concept is good: a famous symphony conductor suspects his wife of cheating (after receiving an unwanted detective's report from Rudy Vallee) and proceeds to imagine what he will do. That is, there are three fantasy sequences that arise while he is conducting, apparently magnificently (the camera tracks into his eye each time). Unfortunately, his wife, played by Linda Darnell, isn't up to the manic comic standards and the script contains too few funny gags and just so much useless thrashing about. And this was Sturges' last hurrah (more or less) - too bad because he burned so brightly during the war years.
April 26, 2014
it's a really hilarious movie, just as funny as "his girl Friday" ad Rex Harrison was GREAT :D
May 15, 2013
Unfaithfully Yours (1948) er en vidunderlig, strålende og elegant udført komedie fra Preston Sturges - det var den sidste af hans Hollywood-film fra hans hånd.
July 24, 2012
"unfaithfully yours" has a very dark and twisted sense of humor, but it's also really good at bringing slapshtick and screw ball comedy. towards the end, rex harrison's character is quite clumsy, and for a while it made me wonder how much longer is this going to go on? but the longer the clumsiness went, the funnier it became. not sure which film of preston sturges is my favorite. it's either between "the palm beach story", or this one.
March 22, 2012
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Its cinematography is superb, it's concept is rich but deep and though provoking, it's cast is witty and entertaining. But at it's core is the center of all screwball comedy's, pure laughter and joy.
March 4, 2011
Unfaithfully Yours is a pretty good film. It was a little confusing and seemed to run out of steam towards the end. But nonetheless, there are a few jokes that stood out. Rex Harrison and Linda Darnell give great jobs. The script is well written. Preston Sturges did a remarkable job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the romance.
December 16, 2007
Is much different than any other Sturges films I have ever seen. It's more dark, but the essence of the Sturges is in the script which is excellent and witty.
October 9, 2005
Infidelity has never been so funny. Convinced that his wife cheated on him while he was abroad, a conductor (Harrison) imagines a series of revenges while he conducts his orchestra through a series of soaring passions and gloomy depressions.

Like anyone, his passions see-saw between homicidal revenge and selfless sacrifice. He sees himself doing the absolute worst to his love, and in a moment of benign generosity he sees himself letting her go with forgiveness and grace, all the while remaining the wronged one. Interestingly, when the concert finally concludes, he rushes home to carry out his series of revenges, but every one of them falters and goes completely against how he imagined. A darkly humorous movie, this Criterion is a gem.
½ March 19, 2004
(VHS) (First Viewing, 3rd Sturges film)

Quite delightful, I must say. An exquisitely realized script, a young Rex Harrison at his funniest, some excellent classical music and a [i]gorgeous[/i] Linda Darnell (this is the first film I've seen her in... wowza!). A comic gem from classic Hollywood, and I'm convinced that I need to look into the Sturges filmography again.