Unfaithfully Yours - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unfaithfully Yours Reviews

October 4, 2011
This type of comedy in anyone else`s hands would be a Hitchcock like thriller. But Preston Sturges has a grumpy composer played by Rex Harrison think that his wife is having an affair, and while he performs a concert he construct vivid fantasies of how he will deal with the situation. The movie`s middle portion is the best part, all of these deranged and wicked scenarios. When the climax comes along, it ends rather ant-climactic like and it feels all moot.
March 5, 2015
Rex Harrison wants desperately to be in a manic Preston Sturges movie (such as The Palm Beach Story or The Miracle of Morgan Creek) and he heroically tries to make it so. Just look at him thrashing about his apartment destroying stuff on his own. It's a bit sad really because this film shows Sturges running out of steam. The concept is good: a famous symphony conductor suspects his wife of cheating (after receiving an unwanted detective's report from Rudy Vallee) and proceeds to imagine what he will do. That is, there are three fantasy sequences that arise while he is conducting, apparently magnificently (the camera tracks into his eye each time). Unfortunately, his wife, played by Linda Darnell, isn't up to the manic comic standards and the script contains too few funny gags and just so much useless thrashing about. And this was Sturges' last hurrah (more or less) - too bad because he burned so brightly during the war years.
July 15, 2014
God, I loved this movie. Preston Sturges is indeed fast becoming one of my favorite filmmakers. This time around it's about a world-famous orchestra conductor who has come to suspect his younger wife might be cheating on him and fantasizes different scenarios on how he's gonna handle it. It is often VERY funny and features Sturges' trademark combo of slapstick and sparkling dialogue but it's also surprisingly dark as well. Rex Harrison is amazing in the leading role, very capable of playing the serious and dark side as well as an excellent physical comedian (the scene where he accidentally wrecks his high-class apartment is almost as great as anything Chaplin and Keaton had done). This is an absolute must-see.
April 26, 2014
it's a really hilarious movie, just as funny as "his girl Friday" ad Rex Harrison was GREAT :D
March 22, 2014
another winner from the gr8 preston sturges
½ November 2, 2013
Rex Harrison does well as the peevish husband in this black comedy from Preston Sturges.
May 15, 2013
Unfaithfully Yours (1948) er en vidunderlig, strålende og elegant udført komedie fra Preston Sturges - det var den sidste af hans Hollywood-film fra hans hånd.
January 2, 2011
There have been many interesting transitions between reality and fantasy in film, and I struggle to find one more interesting than diving into Rex Harrison's shady eyeballs. We enter the world of Alfred de Carter's poisonously jealous and contemplatively murderous fantasies. But this is no ominous film. It is, after all, directed and written by the magnificent genius Preston Sturges, whose films were replete with raucous screwball comedy. His films are refreshing, even after some sixty years of their making.
July 24, 2012
"unfaithfully yours" has a very dark and twisted sense of humor, but it's also really good at bringing slapshtick and screw ball comedy. towards the end, rex harrison's character is quite clumsy, and for a while it made me wonder how much longer is this going to go on? but the longer the clumsiness went, the funnier it became. not sure which film of preston sturges is my favorite. it's either between "the palm beach story", or this one.
July 22, 2012
faltered midway but salvaged towards the ending. there are many more superior 40s and 50s films funnier and more memorable.
March 22, 2012
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Its cinematography is superb, it's concept is rich but deep and though provoking, it's cast is witty and entertaining. But at it's core is the center of all screwball comedy's, pure laughter and joy.
½ June 17, 2011
Another supposed all out comedy from legendary director Preston Sturges leads me to the same conclusion I reached with The Palm Beach Story: comedy wasn't all that evolved in the forties. Much like the romantic comedy filth of today, the forties and fifties were overcrowded by overtly painful films that were not only unfunny, but given recognition where it was not due. For much of the movie Rex Harrison plays the flirtatious role of a devoted husband with an air of feminine wiles and frivolity, better showcased in his performance as Professor Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady opposite Audrey Hepburn. Here he is shown as a conductor, brilliant and lauded by music lovers and his young wife, who he spoils endlessly. As the plot "thickens" Harrison's character is told his wife is unfaithful, and during a few dramatic dream sequences we are shown the many situations in which he would deal with his suspicions towards his wife. The first is the only truly funny and original part of this entire film, starting slowly much like the rest of this drag fest, but quickly gains momentum, turning into one of the biggest surprises of Post Code Hollywood I've ever seen. If only the whole movie could attain such excellence, it would be a decent black comedy. Instead we're pained with over the top slapstick and dialogue that irks anyone of the wit persuasion, especially the ending, which is glosh galore. Steer clear of Sturges.
½ April 4, 2011
I feel that this one may grow on me with a repeat viewing or two, but my initial impressions were that it was all over the map, tonally speaking, as our lead imagines all manner of awful things happening to his wife, who he suspects of cheating on him, as well as horrible ends for himself and her lover.

Knowing where the film ends up on a 2nd viewing, this one may allow me to see more humor or enjoy the imagined asides, but for now my initial impression was very middle for the road for this classic.

Give it a peep, make your own call.
March 4, 2011
Unfaithfully Yours is a pretty good film. It was a little confusing and seemed to run out of steam towards the end. But nonetheless, there are a few jokes that stood out. Rex Harrison and Linda Darnell give great jobs. The script is well written. Preston Sturges did a remarkable job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the romance.
May 21, 2007
A delightfully dark comedy
October 24, 2010
Another romantic comedy, pretty average.
DrStrangeblog
½ December 14, 2008
So simple it operates itself!

During the first half I was wondering why this is so highly regarded as a classic comedy. There are hardly any jokes, some lame slapstick, and Rex Harrison plays an insulting boor of a conductor. What gives?? Aha, it takes that long to get to the good stuff as Harrison, while conducting 3 pieces of music, mentally plots 3 methods of revenge against his wife whom he suspects had an affair with his assistant. The way these are presented is ingenious: every detail of every plan in his mind goes perfectly, but when he tries to replicate them in real life everything goes completely haywire in a gaspingly hilarious manner. So in truth there are about 20 minutes of actual comedy in this film, but they are some of the best 20 minutes of laughs you could hope for.
jjnxn
½ March 27, 2007
Absurd, in a fun way, black comedy of Rex suspecting Linda is cheating and the plots he hatches all set to great classical music. Rex has his best Hollywood part aside from "My Fair Lady". Linda Darnell is ravishing, her dresses amazing. Barbara Lawrence is super in a small part. The dialogue quick and witty.
September 22, 2009
I love the criterion collection.
September 6, 2008
"I doubt that you played Russian Roulette ALL THE TIME with your father"

the quick witty dialogue in this delightful black comedy is hilarious, the scenes of physical comedy aren't so much and make the flick feel more dated than it would otherwise. rex harrison is masterful in the lead role.