Up the Creek

• On DVD:
  • Vestron Video

Up the Creek Reviews

Ola G August 14, 2013
Bob McGraw (Tim Matheson), Max (Dan Monahan), Gonzer (Stephen Furst), and Irwin (Sandy Helberg), students at Lepetomane University (known derisively by some as "Lobotomy U"), are volunteered to compete in a collegiate raft race. They are "recruited" by Dean Burch who uses records of McGraw's checkered past as a means of blackmail to get them to compete. "You're not AT the bottom of the list. You ARE the bottom of the list!", says Burch. He even offers them degrees in the major of their choice as additional incentive. They're up against Ivy University, prep schoolers who, with the help of an Ivy alumnus named Dr. Roland Tozer, plan to cheat their way to the Winner's Circle. Their adversaries also include the Washington Military Institute, disqualified for their attempts to sabotage the other schools rafts. Captain Braverman, the leader of the Military men, has it in for McGraw because he personally curtailed the attempts to sabotage the other rafts. Also entered is a team of beautiful co-eds, one of whom, Heather Merriweather (Jennifer Runyon), ends up falling for Bob. The dangerous rapids as well as Ivy's cheating end up disabling many of the other teams' rafts. It is all down river adventure for the Lepetomane gang...

I reckon the producers of this college/frat comedy thought they had a hit on their hands with a mix of actors from "National Lampoon´s Animal House" and "Porky´s" and sort of forgot that you need to have a script that works and a director that keep things together as well. "Up The Creek" is a mish mash of the classic elements in a frat comedy; nudity, stuck up ivy league boys, sorority girls, fights, slip on the banana peel skits, alcohol, loser students and a win for the losers. Nothing new here, but the issue is that everything is handled in a poor manner if you ask me and thus the comedy base gets lost in a haze of halfassed and unstructured sketches with poor acting, poor dialogue and sound effects from a Mel Brooks movie. My plus in "Up The Creek" is the stunning Jennifer Runyon, who we also saw in a small part in "Ghostbusters" (great scene with Bill Murray) and Cheap Tricks title song "Up The Creek".
2wheels 2wheels January 20, 2013
A classic comedy for it's time. I wish it was on DVD or Blueray.
jjb3332003 jjb3332003 ½ November 2, 2008
Classic 80's teen comedy.
AD V ½ September 2, 2012
One of the better T & A comedies from the 80s due largely to the fact it's actually funny. Unfortunately it is one of the last five films still somehow not available on DVD.
Michael W May 23, 2012
Dismal college aims to gain prestige by offering its worst students free degrees if they can claim the intercollegiate raft race. A poor effort overall with a few bright spots--the whitewater rafting footage is good and Cheap Trick nails down another great soundtrack song. Chuck the Dog easily outshines Tim Matheson and the rest of the cast.
Jaiven S March 1, 2012
combines star power, coeds, frothy beers, sun, bikinis and paddling ! what was better on a glorious summer day for us riverrunners! Paddle on!
benjisnoogans benjisnoogans October 4, 2011
fucking classic...its porkys floating down a river!!!!!
Dave F November 8, 2010
In my opinion, it's the best 80's comedy ever! I've seen this film 10 times on VHS and yet I'm still waiting for the DVD version. To whoever have the rights to this gem, put it out already! It's been 26 years so far, the film's not at the bottom of the list, YOU GUYS ARE THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST! Either way, I'm still waiting.
thefog1331 thefog1331
½ September 26, 2010
Brian D
June 24, 2009
Was lucky enough to find a old VHS tape of this pure 80's gem.Has aged badly but they dont make them like this any more.A cross between Porkys and animal house its just crazy fun.Worth checking out if you can find it....
Jason J ½ December 18, 2009
Pretty funny 80's teen sex comedy.
bssmith4 bssmith4 September 5, 2009
hay if u want a good old fashioned laugh then this film is for u
inyhu inyhu August 22, 2009
"Your dog is a whore Bob! yes I have trained him well...."
ninethofjuly ninethofjuly ½ July 9, 2009
Entertaining and wonderfully funny movie that didn't get enough attention when it first come out in 1984. Story centers on a loser group of college kids who decide to race river rafts against other colleges in order to gain some respect and a degree. Shades of Animal House? Yes, and it does star AH alumni Matheson and Furst but the comparison really works. I'm really glad that movies like these are available on Instant Watch, they bring back so many nostalgic memories and provide access to movies that have long gone unnoticed. This one is truly a comedic gem--the cast, script and direction is great. I highly recommend it, I watched this with my older teen kids and they really enjoyed it, its should be rated PG-13 for today's standards, don't let the R-rating keep you away.
Blaxunshine Blaxunshine ½ June 29, 2009
Sorta like an extension of Animal House w/out the cast (and not nearly the laughs..Mike the Dog is the funniest thing in this). I thought there was a little more nudity in this and unfortunately Jennifer Runyon is never naked even though her & Matheson have sex a few times
Anatoliy S June 30, 2009
MasonStorm MasonStorm May 22, 2009
Great Funny 80's Comedy/Adventure, Still waiting 4 this 1 on DVD
Leigh R
½ August 6, 2008
It was fine to watch... once.
Jens S
February 15, 2008
A typical 80s teenager comedy, full of lame jokes, bad hairdos, clothes and boobs, silly lines and rock songs. Four students (the handsome smartass, the horny one, the loser geek and the fat strong one) try to win a college raft race. While other teams (the snobs, a girl's team, etc.) try to do the same, the disqualified retarded military team (I miss movies making fun of military - damn the war) tries to throw their arsenal into the game to make sure no one wins and that the river takes a new turn soon. That is as stupid and below the belt as it sounds but at the same time so hilariously funny that it's really hard not to laugh. Especially the sabotage attempts could just as well come from a Roadrunner cartoon or Simpsons episode. That's probably unbearable to watch for anyone born after 1990, but for everyone else, getting together with a few friends and drinks there are a lot worse ways to spend an evening. They just don't make movies like that anymore. That's as much a good message as it is a bad one when I look at most new comedies.
sleepykiss sleepykiss September 30, 2007
Silly enuff. Ive always had a major crush on TMatheson tho: tall, dark, blue eyes, bit of a smart azz lol.