Valley Girl Reviews

August 25, 2010
A seminal eighties teen comedy, "Valley Girl" is so much more than just a vapid romantic comedy. Oh, it's definitely not one of the finer films of the decade for that age group, but not everyone can be John Hughes. Loosely based on both William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" and the song of the same name by Frank Zappa, the film itself is a commentary on the valley girls of the San Fernando Valley who lived in affluent neighborhoods. They spent a lot of money, didn't much care for social issues, and had their own dialect and slang that became very popular in the United States after this film was released. While watching this I couldn't help make comparisons to the equally thoughtless and classic "Clueless." While that film put a lot of emphasis on wealth and privilege, this film exclusively deals with the social boundaries set up between the well-off kids in the valley and the punk rock kids at Hollywood High. Two of them cross paths at a party, and instantly fall for each other. They are separated by class, community, and place but have a very strong connection, and that actually comes off well onscreen. It's a very lively and fun kind of film, and though it doesn't have the depth of even "Clueless" or the humor, it does what it sets out to do, and that's to show two people brought together in a high school setting. The soundtrack is phenomenal with new wave bands and classic punk and rock, which is always playing in the background. The performances are actually really great for this kind of schlock, including a very melodramatic and anger fueled punk performance from a young and unknown Nicolas Cage. Even the girl's friends have personalities, including a performance from voice actress Elizabeth Daily. This may not be one of the better films of the time, but it's easy fun and there are so many great songs to make up for inconsiderate writing.
movieguru12
February 24, 2008
September 6, 2010
The quintessential val movie! This hilarious comedy is an essential for 80s teen movie fans. The plot is like a modern day Romeo and Juliet, but more subtle, as the conflict is that her friends don't like who she's dating (her parents are hippies who're cool with him). I love this movie, it's a fun romantic comedy drama, and I highly recommend it.
October 22, 2008
A complete train-wreck that had just enough ridiculously brutal and melodramatic scenes (not to mention clumsy and accidental sexism and racism) to get me through to the end, asking "how much worse can this get?" the whole time. Valley Girl is a laugh riot, though I can't imagine that being its intention. It's a curious artifact and one that sadly I can foresee being remade one day (as all the truly terrible movies are), and while the performances by Cage, Forrest and Elizabeth Daily are decent, they aren't even close to enough to save this one. Tons of fun, though - if you can stop laughing long enough to hear the next terrible line! The soundtrack makes it watchable, but still, it's one for nostalgia buffs only.
neffielee
½ May 12, 2009
Like, what a totally cool movie with awesome tunes, fersure!
iLeo
½ October 13, 2006
A favorite!
½ January 13, 2013
Valley Girl isn't as classic to me as it is for a lot of other people but it still is a pretty decent movie. It's the classic "we can't hook up because we are two different people" kind of love story and it works here because it was during the New Wave of the 80's. Here a valley girl born to hippie parents falls for Nic Cage's scuzzy "punker" much to the dismay or her friends and social circle. I'm not a fan of a lot of the soundtrack. I'm sure I would have loved this more if I dug "I'll melt with you" montages. Michael Bowen is good as the Valley Girl's former yup boyfriend. One of the best things about Valley Girl is a pre Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Dottie all in her bikini and underwear all the time. Not as definitive as it is made to seem, Valley Girl is still worth checking out if you dig Sixteen Candles and stuff like that.
May 21, 2012
one of the best 80's teen movies. it gets lost in the shuffle with all the john Hughes movies, but its sweet, funny, and has as much heart as those movie.
December 4, 2011
Cooly awesome movie Deborah Foreman and Nicolas Cage have great chemistry together!!!!! This is an awesome cult classic. I'm So Sure! (: (:
January 20, 2012
Uh, I guess watching this movie nearly 20 years after its release has me opposed to the many adoring fans. But I'm okay with that... I have no nostalgia and watched this movie from a fresh perspective. I thought it was rather boring, slow, stereo-typical and wholly unbelievable. Much of the humor is in the like, totally out there speech that swept the country in this period... but seems so odd today.

While it is fun to see Nicholas Cage at such a young age, the courtship seems forced with little emotion. The main plot point centers on whether Julie should choose between the guy she loves or her friends who are opposed to him being so "different". Some friends -- they encourage her to get back together with an obsessive and rude boyfriend, ugh!

I can understand the appeal, the cult-classic status, the nostalgia... but it didn't hit any of those circles for me.
½ November 1, 2010
The classic tale of love between two unlikely characters. While not as good as a lot of the 80's teen comedies (refer to John Hughes), this movie holds its own. It's more of a drama in fact and someone had to capture the valley girl persona with the trademark idioms, "like, gag me with a spoon." This movie also features early Cage before he became a mega action hero.
September 10, 2010
Valley girl meets punk boy and falls in love. Valley girl drops valley boyfriend for punk boy. Valley girlfriends convince valley girl to drop punk boy because she only has a future with valley boyfriend. Valley girl takes back valley boyfriend but is stalked by punk boy who professes his love for valley girl. Valley girl and punk boy reunite. The plot is simple but Martha Coolidge directing and the memorable soundtrack make this dated teen movie into a cute cult classic with good performances by Cage and Foreman.
June 14, 2010
I get wrapped up in the against all odds romances. And it's the only movie I've ever been attracted to Nicholas Cage, who doesn't want a "Randy"?
January 24, 2010
I REALLY DNT CARE IF NO 1 APPROVES OF DIS MOVIE BUT I GOT 2 SAY IS DAT DIS MOVIE WUZ DA BOMB 4 IT 2 AN 80S TYPE OF MOVIE & I WOULD LOVE 2 WATCH DIS MOVIE AGAIN I GIVE IT 5 STARS
½ July 9, 2009
nicolas cage did not play the part at all he was super emotional very stupid
they could have picked someone better
December 16, 2007
My all time favorite 80s movie. The chemistry between Nick and Deborah accented with excellent music. I love Eyes of a Stranger is probably my favorite 80s song. I just love this movie and I can watch the romantic montage scene all day. Love love love it, don cha know!!!
July 7, 2008
Martha Coolidge's fantasy comedy about the totally most rad people ever, like Valley Girls, was like the most tubularly cool and awesome movie ever! Okay, so it was a little heavy on the valley scene, but like 'Fast Times' the year before, it inspired a generation to get up and notice they were the in thing. Ya know! For sure! Sure it has a shallow substance, but it's so nostalgic now. Nicholas Cage's ticket to stardom was this flick, and he's played the same dopey loner boy ever since. For sure! Buy this one, for sure.
January 12, 2008
Great 80's teen movie, 1983....thats when 80's pop culture really started to take shape, well then again I guess you can say 1982 - Fast times at Ridgemont High and The Last American Virgin.
½ April 13, 2007
"Like, it's not cool at all! Like, it's all this stuff that tastes like nothing and it's supposed to be so good for you. Why couldn't they, like, open a Pizza Hut or something? "

A cute little teen flick that weighs the question of image before enjoyment.
½ February 21, 2008
In the tradition of "Romeo and Juliet," a punker named Randy (Nicholas Cage) begins a relationship with shallow teenage girl named Julie (Deborah Foreman), but peer pressure from her equally shallow friends forces her to break up and go back to her ex-boyfriend (Michael Bowen). Randy refuses to take this lying down and tries to get Julie back. In conclusion, this is a wonderful, timeless movie. Though the time in which it is set plays a major role in the movie, the essential love story is timeless.