Fukkatsu no hi (Day of Resurrection) (The End) (Virus) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fukkatsu no hi (Day of Resurrection) (The End) (Virus) Reviews

January 19, 2009
One of my favorite films of all times. Just like these types of films.
October 2, 2008
Not sure which version I saw, but it was a chilling combination of post apocalyptic horror and Irwin Allen.
½ August 8, 2008
Absolutely dreadful. Humanity is decimated by a man-made virus; the survivors congregate in Antartica and turn out to be pompous gasbags who spout platitudes about how terrible it is the human race wound up the way it did. The film hits the audience over the head with its message, and the international cast does not do well with the terrible script. Avoid at all cost.
(yes, I saw the full Japanese version)
July 25, 2008
Big budget Japanese production is pretty good. Fine and believable story, great cast does a decent job acting. Always interesting.
June 30, 2008

However, because Ive got a U.S. cut, and U.S. cuts, as a rule of thumb, are generally dumbed down and streamlined, sad but true. So I dont know how to give an acurate review, this movie as it is at the 108 minutes I saw it, was decent with a fair serving of 80's cheese, I have a feeling though with a little more time, this might have felt as epic and grand as it intimates in it's best moments. "Virus" is also a terrible title for this film as well, which has little to do with virus', or bacteriology, it's a good global destruction movie, "The End" is a much better fitting moniker. Director would go on to later success with "Battle Royale".

June 24, 2008
This movie has to be one of my favorite end of the world flims of all times.
June 10, 2008
Um, It's a Sonny Chiba movie with a theme song in English AND French.
June 5, 2008

alanjayh
½ May 26, 2008
huge big budget box office failure..n no wonder...past prime time players chuck conners, robert vaugh, glenn ford., et. al....quick easy paycheck...acting is stiff, script & plot well intentioned but hokey and laughable in parts..this film is at least an hour too long..but a good primer to see how disaster films with a moralistic message should NOT be done..and oh yes....Olivia is a fox
April 30, 2008
The best disaster movie you will never see. If you can get the Japanese cut, it has almost an extra hour, which I imagine probably gave alot more depth to the film, just a guess. The American version I did get my hands on was pretty good on it's own. This is not really a movie about saving the world so much as surviving the numerous apacolypses the world can throw at you, even after the entire world population dies at the hands of a super virus, those survivng in Artic research stations(the virus cannot survive the cold) some 8880 men and 8 women(the scene where the women adress how 1 on 1 "relationships" are going to be impossible, is one of the most genuine, poignant, and unique in the film, the apacolypse doesn't hit home till you realize theres 8000 horny scientiests, crawling over each other to play adam and eve, those not-if-you-were- the-last-man-on-earth scenarios horribly reversed.), still have to deal with the fact that both the Russian and American automatic nuclear missle systems are still in operation, and a comming earthquake is liable to force them to launch, one of which is pointed at the Antartic research station. So two men on foot, one Japanese and one American take a trip to DC, to turn off the machine. Alot of the save the world stuff takes place in the last 20 minutes, the rest is all death and survival. This was at the time of it's release the most expensive Japanese film ever made, and it shows, as we get scenes from Germany, Japan, America, and yes the Antartic, real submarines too. If you sat through "Outbreak", "The Day After Tommorow", and many of the now numerous end of the world films, this wont be anything too new, there are some scenes which are undeniably cheesy(the "walk" at the end). However, because Ive got a U.S. cut, and U.S. cuts, as a rule of thumb, are generally dumbed down and streamlined, sad but true. So I dont know how to give an acurate review, this movie as it is at the 108 minutes I saw it, was decent with a fair serving of 80's cheese, I have a feeling though with a little more time, this might have felt as epic and grand as it intimates in it's best moments. "Virus" is also a terrible title for this film as well, which has little to do with virus', or bacteriology, it's a good global destruction movie, "The End" is a much better fitting moniker. Note: I picked this movie up because it get's referenced alot in Junot Diaz's "The Brief And Wonderous Life Of Oscar Wao" as the title characters favorite film, and in the right context I can see why.
April 8, 2008
this movie reminded me of I am Legend & the last man of earth. good flim. edward James olmos stars in this
April 8, 2008
this is a good apocalypse movie. the best scene is where the base refuses to take in the infected submarine who needs somewhere to stay. the end is quite excellent too
March 16, 2008
AMAZING storyline - in desperate need of a re-make.
February 17, 2008
No doubt. The original Japanese edition is a must-see, for the chopped up one just... well, it's just gutted. In some small ways it addresses powerful issues (aside from "DO NOT release a virus that kills everyone, you stupid idiots!).
February 4, 2008
N[r kommer remaken av denne filmen? Snodig film som selvfølgelig er japansk produsert. Nok en film fra intet.
½ December 22, 2007
Eine beklemmende Dystopie aus der Zeit des Kalten Krieges.
October 24, 2007
Preferer la version longue à la version TV. Un film culte.
October 9, 2007
Mostly badass apocalpse filck that goes on a bit too long. At any rate, Olivia Hussey is a fucking fox. Sadly Sonny Chiba dosn't get to kill anyone.
August 16, 2007
Fascinating anti-biological & nuclear weapons epic featuring a mid-level all star cast. Some hokey moments but it takes its message seriously. Avoid the heavily edited US version and go with the 155 min Japanese original.
August 6, 2007