67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Weird Science Reviews

KJ P

October 1, 2010
"Weird Science" is as dumb as it's title suggests, but in the best way possible. John Hughes, before making the classic films that he did, strted off with this film, and to me, it hit much more than it missed. As two unpopluar high school boys decide to build the perfect girlfriend out of a computer, all hell will eventually break loose. I thought this film was extremely fun for what it was, but the script was pretty lame at times. However, for that reason alone, I actually lied the movie even more. I will never call this a great film, but I did really like it. It's humour is juvenile, it's plot is just the same, and the performances by the kids are hilarious to watch. In the end, I found myself laughing really hard, so in my eyes that warrants a big recommendation.
Nicki M

January 4, 2008
Another one from my past. Love this! Even though they are essentially sleazy little boys, it is quaint compared to today's movies. (Wow, I sound 100).
John Hughes really did have a way with teen movies. One of my favourite roles for Anthony Michael Hall, too.
I guess it's pretty silly, two geeky boys "create" a woman on their computer who comes to life (as you would expect...), but it's amusing and the boys are likeable.
Alice S

August 5, 2013
Kinda funny and silly. Two loser cook up their perfect woman, and she teaches them to man-up. Her loyalty to them is sweet and true. It's nice to see the typecast Anthony Michael Hall playing a confident-ish jackass. Bill Paxton as the meathead older brother is ridiculous. Young Robert Downey Jr. is douchey in a serviceable way.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 30, 2009
Love this movie so much. Just really funny and totally unreallistic. But thats whats so great about it. Another great 80's movie. Love watching this movie.
blkbomb
blkbomb

April 7, 2012
Lisa: If we're going to have any fun together, you guys have better learn to loosen up.

"It's all in the name of science. Weird Science."

Weird Science is pretty much an hour and a half long teen fantasy. That's something you need to know. Now, it is an entertaining, fun, and at times very funny teen fantasy. There were moments in the film that truly had me laughing out loud, and many other instances that at least made me chuckle. It's highly ridiculous and the end result of the love stories for Wyatt and Gary aren't very realistic. These two are never going to get those girls, but I digress. The film manages to be both creative and predictable. From the opening scene you should know where the plot is going to end up. Especially if you've seen your good share of romantic comedies.

So basically this film gives us two unloved nerds. Their hanging out together, watching Frankenstein, and get the idea to create a girl on their computers. Well a miracle happens and the girl actually comes to life and says that she is theirs. I'm sure you're getting the whole teen fantasy thing now. I mean the first thing she does with them is take a shower. What teenage guy doesn't fantasize about taking a shower with a girl like that. From there it's a fairly standard teen movie, aside from the fact that you have a hot and older created woman that is devoted to two nerds. It all leads up to the inevitable ending that we were all waiting for.

When it comes to John Hughes, this is no Breakfast Club. It doesn't have the special feel of some of the other movies that Hughes made, but it is still really fun. I like that a movie like this was created. It's so ridiculous and unserious, but still manages to hit a few notes that ring completely true when examining the teenage boy. I can't say with any amount of seriousness that I believe this to be a great movie, but in the end you should find some enjoyment out of it. Especially if you are a fan of 80's comedies and John Hughes, which pretty much are synonymous.
Lucas M

February 1, 2012
A funny and remarkable comedy. Very adolescent level, but still a good entertainment. Fresh.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 26, 2011
Weird Science is yet another solid John Hughes film. Weird Science is a well done teen comedy, one that every teen can relate to. The humor is funny, and quite original. John Hughes definitely knew how to create effective humor in his films, and Weird Science is yet another solid comedy. Hughes' script is original, amusing and the film is something that everyone can enjoy. The cast do a fine job, especially the two lead actors. John Hughes ability to create a comedy that not only teens can enjoy is something special. Weird Science is yet another prime example of one of those films. The mix of quirky comedy, and good acting, and above all, amusing plot makes this film a must see. The film is lots of fun, and is a must see for fans of John Hughes. Weird Science is yet another memorable comedy film that focuses on the hardships of growing up, and John Hughes definitely gets the subject right. Weird Science is a fun film that has plenty of laughs, a good cast and good directing. This yet another classic teen comedy that every teen should see, and is also a film that adults can enjoy too. The cast and effective script make Weird Science a memorable film to enjoy and its non-stop fun from beginning to end. A well crafted comedy that is guaranteed to deliver a great time. This is a comedy that nobody should miss out on.
movieguru12
movieguru12

December 8, 2007
Great comedy. It makes me laugh everytime I watch it. Anthony Michael Hall is once again hillarious! I watched this with my Dad, and he was singing the theme song. :) :)
Alexander D

August 6, 2011
WEIRD SCIENCE, though quirky, is not the usual John Hughes film. It's not hysterical like FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF, and it has no mixed-in drama like THE BREAKFAST CLUB. Instead, there is a not-too-complex science fiction twist blended in, and it has enough teen-comedy laughs to please any audience.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
Ok, so this isn't the best of the John Hughes' films, but it has it's charms. The concept is great, the theme song is fantastic, the cast really good and there are some really politcally incorrect but hilarious moments in there. It's just not as satisfying as his other classics.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A hilarious, outrageous, wild comedy sci-fi about teenagers who mess with science and learn about love. I love this movie, it's a lot of fun.
Conner R

September 14, 2010
More cheesy than it was probably ever intended to be, It's so dated and politically incorrect now. Anthony Michael Hall's black voice is just, wow, not something to be proud of. The overall plot and message of the movie is also sort've shameful, but I guess in the context of the 80s it worked. The ending sequence totally makes the movie worth watching ,when the futuristic bikers terrorize the party. It has a particular audience which I don't seem to be a part of.
YodaMasterJedi

B+
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 8, 2007
Mindless idiocy that is fine as a geek wish fulfillment fantasy but considerably below the quality level of Hughes other 80's films. Kelly LeBrock is very beautiful however even done up in some awful fashions and hairstyles.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 5, 2007
Well this is a nice little fun movie, a bit random but worth a watch!
Its funny, entertaining and probably represents the complete male generation of producing the perfect woman!
Its a fun enjoyable moive with some funny moments worth a watch, kelly lebrock looks fabulous an english bombshell!
These neird make the perfect woman on the computer but when a electrical storm comes over the house they find there perfect woman in their bedroom, she leads them to self discovery whilst having fun and proves that geeks can have friends and girlfriends a entertaining movie worth a watch!
Jennifer X

May 30, 2007
Confusing, quirky, and mildly insane. It's interesting, but doesn't really do much for me in terms of 80s landmark.
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
A firm favourite among pre-pubescent boys (and post-pubescent come to think of it), why can't computers do this yet?
Cassandra M

February 4, 2007
Weird Science is the product of the prolific '80s' writer/director John Hughes (who later went on to create films such as 'Home Alone'). This man single-handedly crafted movies about teenagers for teenagers, without ever becoming patronising or authoritative. Weird Science epitomises the 80s with its fast cars, shoulder pads and big hair. To be honest, Weird Science is synonymous with that decade and reflects most if not all, of its hopes and aspirations (computers in every home, robotic servants etc.). Looking back on it now it's incredibly dated, however and more importantly, the film is still as entertaining today as it was over ten years ago!

Anyone who grew up in the 80s and is beginning to reminisce will instantly relate to the exploits of the two lead characters Gary (Anthony Michael Hall) and Wyatt (Ilan Mitchell-Smith), as they use their computer and associated paraphernalia to create a beautiful girlfriend (Kelly LeBrock). Although not Hughes' best work, this was reserved (in my opinion) for the later 'Ferris Beuller's Day Off' which was far more appealing to a wider audience - Weird Science will always be a 'Geeky' 80s classic. The film was so popular it spawned it's own TV series - ten years later!

Unless you lived through that decade the film won't touch you in quite the same way. You needed to have been in awe of Tron, to have worn stone washed jeans and to have owned at least two pairs of illuminous [odd] socks, to really appreciate the naivety of the main characters as they place their faith in computers and 'modern' technology.

Today to a younger - more clued up audience, Weird Science could get lost amongst so many other 80s flicks with inferior technology and visual special FX to today's CGI standards. However there is something quintessentially 80s, something oh so Duran Duran about Weird Science that separates it from even the best of today's films. It's that central 'Hughes' element with its visual nuances and audible gags that makes this a timeless classic, watchable again and again.

If you know what 'ghetto blaster' is definitely watch this film, if you were born after 1984 take everything with a pinch of salt and pay attention - you might learn something.
Lady D

March 26, 2007
A wonderful teenage underdog story from the 80?s, which holds huge nostalgia value for me, as a young girl, (as reflected in the rating) I watched this films over and over.

Look out for a young Robert Downey Jr.