White Christmas Reviews

½ December 3, 2007
A Christmas tradition I was never privy to. I'm glad I saw it once, but this very old-fashioned family musical is not likely to become a new Christmas tradition for me. Flashback to WWII with Crosby and Kaye entertaining the troops. They truly respect their Major General (Jagger) and are sad for the management to change. Kaye's Private Phil Davis guilts Crosby's Captain Bob Wallace into becoming showbiz partners when the war is over. Years later, in the present, through a funny series of events, they end up dating the Haynes sisters and vacationing in Vermont where the men's old army boss is struggling to keep his lodge in business. Cue producing a big song and dance show to attract customers and save the day. Clooney as Betty spars with Crosby as Bob. Vera-Ellen as Judy falls for Kaye as Phil. Vera-Ellen never became a big celebrity, but is stunning in her dancing ability. The best part is that all four engage in fast, witty conversation because the musical breaks do just that, break the movement of the plot, which isn't riveting.
½ December 18, 2014
A fun little Christmas romp.
January 24, 2010
One of the better known Christmas films, "White Christmas" is a huge scale musical that has little to do with Christmas. There's the eponymous song, which is featured twice in the film, but otherwise all the musical numbers have nothing to do with Christmas. This is more of a Technicolor musical than it is a Christmas movie. The plot revolves around two former GIs (Crosby and Kaye) who work together as an act, putting on huge Broadway shows. They come upon an inn that's headed by their former general, which hasn't seen many people because there isn't any snow, sad since it's close to Christmas. The rest of the film features musical numbers from their famous two man show, which have nothing to do with Christmas. There's also two sisters (Clooney and Vera-Ellen), who help the GIs during the show. The film is complicated by the GIs' romance with the sisters, which of course lends to misunderstandings, like in any good musical. The numbers are impressively huge, but they are strange as this era in Hollywood's history consisted of films influenced by large set pieces and huge ensembles, and less with coherent songwriting. While this is still a valid film to watch at Christmastime, I would recommend "Holiday Inn" as a better option, which was the direct inspiration for this film.
December 31, 2014
The biggest dupe of all time? The most non Christmassy Christmas film purporting to be a Christmas film! Well the last 5 minutes are Christmassy! However what you do have are these wonderful artistes at the top of their game and some of the most stunning and beautiful movie sets ever to be seen. Enchanting, despite its lack of you know what.
December 27, 2014
Ganz lustig, aber schon auch langatmig (die Tanzszenen habe ich oft geskipped). (Dezember 2014)
½ December 23, 2014
A christmas classic.
December 22, 2014
Good movie even though the only Christmas song they sing is white Christmas and that's it
½ December 18, 2014
Christmas Classic. Great songs, funny plot, just an enjoyable Christmas movie that puts you in the seasonal mood. And Bing Crosby, oooooh that voice.
½ December 17, 2014
A wonderful film. I first saw it 40 years ago, and still love it. I think perhaps it grows on you, based on some of the negative reviews. The Irving Berlin music is almost always wonderful, and I am normally hard to please when it comes to the music in musicals. It's great when I like even half the songs in a musical, and I like all but one or two in this one. The singers and dancers are about as good as it gets. The comedy is genuinely funny and well-delivered, and the film has touching moments. It's clearly a Christmas film. Expecting an old Hollywood Christmas musical to be realistic is unrealistic. Also, in some strange way, the film conveys a joyful, good-natured Christmas spirit better than the vast majority of Christmas films, which is probably why it is still, 60 years later, a holiday favorite on television. Most other Christmas films made since this one have been justly forgotten, especially musicals. Any film I still enjoy so much after 40 years, and after so many viewings, is among the best of its kind. It has faults, but they are completely overwhelmed by its strengths.
½ December 16, 2014
Ah, the conservative family values, quiet sexism, and ridiculing of modern dance. Set the anachronisms aside, however, and there is an enjoyable holiday musical in "White Christmas" with wonderful songs, silly humor, and the extraordinary dancing of the unparalleled Vera-Ellen. There are also plenty of heartfelt moments to keep this a holiday favorite.
July 25, 2007
White Christmas was an overall fun flick that held up surprisingly well for being made in the 50's. It was a musical but there wasn't a ton of songs and only a couple of those were memorable. I was a little let down in how little the holiday of Christmas played into the movie. There were plenty of funny moments and some sappy, heartwarming moments as well. The whole premise was interesting and it all lead up to a good ending. I enjoyed this movie although it was very old but I would not classify it as a Christmas movie just because the title and cover says so.
December 6, 2008
One of the classic Christmas movies I enjoy watching each year in December.
A few of the song & dance numbers are a little long, but one can fast forward through those.

The cast is great..and Vera-Ellen is such a classic beauty!

11/26/09:
Watched the DVD anniversary edition, looks and sounds good.

11/24/11:
One of my favorite holiday movies. Some good special features on the DVD.

12/1/12:
Was out of town or else I would have been watching it the day after Thanksgiving.

12/24/13:
Busy working on a movie in Dec. Finally got around to watching this holiday tradition.
December 14, 2014
Got to see this on the big screen finally and had a lot of fun. Not a great film but some great (and some very forgettable) songs. I love Bing, Danny Kaye and Rosemary Clooney and this was the first time I got to see them all on the big screen. Crosby and Clooney singing together is always wonderful. They had their own 15 minute daily radio show for awhile. I'm glad they got to appear together in a picture.
December 14, 2014
"White Christmas" is a wonderful delight! I enjoy the songs; the cinematography; the characters; and having that Christmas feeling. You know how wonderful it is, and it is a holiday favorite. Check it out!
December 8, 2014
The greatest Christmas movie ever made. Starring Bing Crosby, "the King of Christmas music." The soundtrack and plot are amazing. What's not to love about it?
½ December 1, 2014
White Christmas might be the best Christmas movie that's not necessarily about Christmas. The Holiday is little more than a backdrop for the film's bookend sequences, but the spirit of Christmas is evident throughout. Although the film is structurally transparent, it's more about the feeling and the message than it is any sort of real drama. All of the picture's drama is superficial and a means towards an end, but the reward for watching the movie lies in the experience and the appreciation not only of the great performances and memorable songs, but of the greater thematic purpose that suggests a spirit of togetherness and the importance of undying friendship and integrity through both the good times and the bad. White Christmas is an endearing classic suitable for any time of year, but the film has definitely earned the right to be considered among the elite of Christmas staples.
½ August 28, 2014
I have never seen this acknowledged Christmas classic until now, and I can see why it's held as a classic. It goes into some weird places - the whole military subplot - but what comes before it is pretty enjoyable. The only song that is memorable to me is Bing Crosby singing White Christmas; seriously it's what his whole career was for. George Clooney's aunt and Vera-Ellen are solid, as are Crosby (who usually bores the piss out of me) and Danny Kaye. Solid movie, but probably not one I'd make a staple during Christmas.
½ February 25, 2010
(First and only viewing - 12/21/2009)
May 5, 2009
I had high hopes and I ended up falling asleep through much of it. Mind you I was sick at the time and not really interested, so this one deserves a second chance.