Women In Love Reviews

hunterjt13
May 21, 2014
A gathering of couples turns sour when one couple drowns.
If I ever come up with a philosophical manifesto or some revolutionary paradigm, then I hope that I can find someone like D.H. Lawrence to dramatize my philosophical precepts with the degree of felicity and verve that Lawrence treats Freud. The "death drive," the relationship between sexuality and violence, repressed emotions, latent homosexuality, and projection of childhood trauma all receive due attention. It's impossible to understand anything going on in this film without a working understanding of Freudian philosophy and psychology, and therein lies the film's primary strength and weakness. On the one hand, it's great to see a smart film for smart people, but on the other hand, it shouldn't be necessary that one study Freud in order to "get it." What is more, to paraphrase Hamlet there is more in heaven and earth, Mr. Freud, than is dreamt of in your philosophy.
The actors all commit to their roles, often with full nudity, which was controversial for the film's time, and it must be difficult to convey a character based more on a psychological profile than on human actions.
Overall, Women in Love is a strong film, but it's not for everyone.
flixsterman
½ February 3, 2009
Russel had me right up until he had Alan Bates and Oliver Reed engage in naked wrestling. A wonderful film in spite of its homoerotic lapses.
RCCLBC
½ April 21, 2011
An all around good film.
Cast - Story - Cinematography.
rubystevens
June 2, 2008
for all his excesses, russell really hit his mark here. one of the most sensual films i've ever seen and a magnificent interpretation of lawrence's work
½ March 22, 2007
There are not very many Oscar winning movies that I thought were awful. I think that just about any movie that has been nominated for or won an Oscar is a step above. My average ratings are fairly high because I have seen a lot more good movies than bad. But I just didn't understand this one. Maybe I got a bad video transfer that was making it hard to even hear the dialog or maybe this is simply too dated. I'm going to use the same review for this and Room at the Top because I don't know what else to say about it.
May 30, 2014
Prior to her political turn, Glenda Jackson was actually one of the up and coming stars in British film. This is a prime example of what she can do when pressed. No longer controversial but terribly entertaining.
jimbotender
August 28, 2008
Fantastic,Lawrence's best adaptation out of the many prolific novels he wrote.The couples proceed in a distasteful arrogance to bonds and statuesque expressions,so Russell follows their unorthodox methods of communication and brings a fresh air before the dawn of 70's.
March 11, 2014
Ken Russell gets great material and, for once, actually does it proud.
February 3, 2014
A terrific adaptation of the DH Lawrence novel. The interplay between the two headstrong people - Reed and Jackson - is memorable.
September 4, 2011
One of the best movies ever made from a classic novel, thanks to Larry Kramer's skillful screenplay adaptation and Ken Russell's artistic direction. The casting too is inspired, with superb performances by Alan Bates, Oliver Reed and Glenda Jackson. Even the supporting roles, such as Eleanor Bron as Hermione, are remarkable. Add gorgeous location cinematography and a lush musical score and you've got...well...perfection. Best seen on the big screen, if you ever get the chance. Obviously a film can't cover as much ground as a 400 page novel, but this IS reasonably faithful to its plot, theme, and characterizations.
½ December 21, 2011
Ken Russel's Women In Love comes to my mind as being a very fine adaptation of D. H. Lawrence's great work, surpassing it, as always, in visual spectacle, just bordering on erotica. Indeed, the film is full of libido and sexuality, but the manner of its presentation needs especial commendation. One cannot simply shrug off that famous "fig tree" scene where Rupert (played rowdily by Alan Bates) observes the two ways in which to consume a fig - both can be taken as metaphoric of sex itself. The whole story delves in sexuality proper, as seen remarkably in Glenda Jackson's Oscar-winning performance as Gudrun. Overall the atmosphere of the film was very much perfect, with a few flaws here and there, while the visual stunning depiction of homosexuality (in more ways than that oft-quoted and cited wrestling scene) was apparent and still innuendo-filled throughout. I personally consider it a great British production!
½ May 12, 2012
We came to expect excess from Ken Russell (who passed away earlier this year) , but Women in Love seems a rather straightforward less fanciful retelling of the D. H. Lawrence novel about two male friends and two female friends who eventually form two couples (or is it three?). OK, there is a full-frontal male nude wrestling scene (that pushed this to an X rating at the time) and a few wacky shots plus some great footage in front of the Matterhorn; but again this is mostly a talk-fest that explores the nature of love (for both men and women).
June 20, 2011
This is one of the reasons of why i love cinema.
April 4, 2011
Ein anstrengenden, interessanter und ziemlich bizarrer Film, aber was habe ich auch erwartet?!? Regie hat Ken Russell geführt, das sagt alles. Aber es hat mir ziemlich gefallen, auch das Ende fand ich toll.
gute 3/5
½ September 18, 2010
Not exactly my cup of tea, but very interesting nonetheless. Terrific cinematography, and a very unique directorial approach from Russell. I was entertained in fits and starts, but I think the best sequence would have to be Alan Bates having at the fig. Hilarious stuff. And Kronsteen showed up! What a hoot. Surprising but great ending.