• Carmen

—— Last Man Standing: Season 3
—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Carmen (Bizet's Carmen ) Reviews

May 19, 2012
I have always struggled to get into opera, but I really like Carmen because the characters are more earthy and real. I like a lot of the music, too, especially the intermezzo before Act 3. Habanera and any of the chorus-led songs are great as well. If you are looking to become interested in opera, this film is a good place to start because it's visually very pleasing and you will realise opera doesn't have to be as stuffy as some people make it out to be.
November 13, 2007
An opulent and enthralling screen version of Bizet's celebrated opera.
November 6, 2011
A painstakingly historically-informed film adaptation of a most popular French opera, right down to its mountainous Spanish locations. While Placido Domingo is the bigger name, Julia Migenes sizzles as Carmen, bringing a hotness factor to the role that has yet to be matched almost 30 years later.
lubelio
August 30, 2009
What can I say...it's a classic!
Byron B

February 26, 2009
nominated for best foreign film at the golden globes
July 26, 2008
not really interested
marybd28
September 11, 2007
Como género musical está bien, lástima que no me guste la ópera...
hiphopyadontstop365
August 2, 2007
hahaha well, I'm hispanic.
shawtie2k7
April 11, 2007
love it 6ecuz i love music
mwheelersing
April 6, 2007
Rossi's direction was incredible and the whole thing was just wonderful. I have watched this so many time. Ms Migenes-Johnson is the most beautiful opera singer I have ever seen
Michalyn
November 4, 2005
I'm confused because I'm not really sure what to make of this movie. Maybe it is because I'm not very familiar with opera in general. I don't know. But this movie didn't do much for me at all. I REALLY enjoyed the music, don't get me wrong. That was great....and I guess for opera singers, they did a pretty decent job of acting. The direction seemed pretty good too. I guess it was mostly the story itself. How freaking depressing! The music made up a bit for that, though, at least for me. I thought the music was fun. I was very disturbed by many things, though:

*The goriness of the opening credits....seeing that bull move around in somewhat slow motion with a spear through his "hump" and blood pouring out and pieces of his flesh/hide flying here and there....ugg. And it looked pretty real...like they filmed a real bullfight...who knows, maybe they did...I'm gonna go see if I can find out....anyhow...totally grossed me out and took away all of the romanticism associated with bullfighting for me.

*Guess I'm a shallow person who expects the actors/actresses to fit their roll a little more appropriately....wasn't Carmen suppose to be a beautiful temptress? I can get how she was being tempting...but beautiful???? Guess there just must not be any good looking good opera singers out there, or at least that were available at the time...sorry...I know that is mean...but to honest, it bothered me!

*SHAVE THOSE FRIGGIN' PITS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!! Talk about turning off any sort of sexual appeal....totally killed the mood

*Carmen's constant fascination with teasing by pulling her skirt up all the time...I can see how that could be sexy and tempting etc...but at least in this movie, with this actress, it was a total gross out for me.

*I just didn't feel the chemistry between any of the characters....maybe I would have if I had paid closer attention while watching....but I was a little too bored.

*And finally, does my lack of romantic feeling while watching this movie mean I'm not a romantic??? Everything that I've ever heard of Carmen has lead me to believe that I should have felt that way....but I just didn't. Can't be me...just can't...I AM a helpless romantic.

I gave it 6 out of 10 mostly for the music. My husband fell asleep during it....if that tells you anything.