• R, 2 hr. 26 min.
    In Theaters:
    Sep 19, 1990 Wide
    On DVD:
    Mar 26, 1997
  • Warner Bros.

Critic Review - FulvueDrive-in.com

That Martin Scorsese's brilliant GoodFellas lost the 1990 Best Picture and Best Director Oscars to Dances with Wolves is one of the all-time miscarriages of justice in the history of the Academy Awards.

February 18, 2006 | Comments (17)
FulvueDrive-in.com

Comments

Shane B.

Shane Brennan

I couldn't agree more!

Apr 12 - 04:55 PM

A C.

A Coury

I most emphatically agree! Anything with Kevin Costner in it doesn't deserve a best picture award, although Dances With Wolves wasn't bad. Goodfellas deserved it, no question

Jun 28 - 08:22 PM

rafaeleduardo

r.e.c. r.e.c.

Agree. However, let's not forget Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. In defense of Costner, fine performances in A Perfect World and No Way Out.

Sep 28 - 05:26 AM

D34DGh0sT

Dudley Heffington

saving private ryan is overrated as hell...

Feb 17 - 09:59 PM

Dusty R.

Dusty Roads

My $.25 - Respectfully I don't see how one can compare Dances... with Goodfellas ! They are such vastly different storys ! One is more based on acting (Goodfellas). The other is an accomplishment of sweeping proportions ! Maybe the academy saw more to appreciate in the complexity of production, and complexity so well done in so many other aspects, to be the reason for the winning Academy choice. I can understand (that) ! But, (I) have watched Goodfellas far more repeat times than Dances...

Nov 19 - 03:18 PM

girly g.

girly girl

I agree completely. Dances with Wolves looks ok, but Goodfellas is flat out brilliant! Yet, this is definitely not the only "miscarriage of justice" in the Academy Awards. One forgotten mishap is John Savage not getting a nomination for Best Supporting Actor for The Deer Hunter in 1978. If anyone else agrees with me, please comment! :)

Mar 9 - 04:09 PM

girly g.

girly girl

also, ray liotta wasn't even nominated, so thats also stupid
pesci deserved the oscar, though

Mar 15 - 03:45 PM

Ryan O.

Ryan ONeil

I like Dances and Goodfellas a lot but if Goodfellas desrved any Oscar above any others awards, It has to be Martin Scorsese for Best Director, My GOD! He directed the crap out of Goodfellas, every scene is so perfect that I have to say it defiantly contends with Coppola's work on The Godfather. Kostner did ok with Directing but I think Dances had better music and cinematography than anything else.

Mar 25 - 02:07 PM

DG

Danny G

Yeah kind of like Raging Bull losing to Ordinary People...they have always loved snubbing Scorsese at the Oscars. He had to go and make a movie as brilliant as The Departed to finally win an Oscar

Sep 5 - 09:50 PM

DG

Danny G

Yeah kind of like Raging Bull losing to Ordinary People

Sep 6 - 01:01 AM

Nicolas Glen

Nicolas Uribe

For real. Dances with wolves was not nearly as good as GoodFellas. Same case as Crash winning over Brokeback Mountain.

Mar 25 - 11:06 AM

Mar 25 - 12:36 PM

Nicolas Glen

Nicolas Uribe

Mar 25 - 12:36 PM

NYU

mr. mojo risin

Thank you, Scorsese Got Robbed blind that night.

Apr 12 - 05:52 PM

MovieWatcher

Tony C

One of the few films I can sit down and watch, without looking up, getting up. A true masterpiece of storytelling.

Dec 20 - 10:22 AM

MovieWatcher

Tony C

movies to watch when bored

Dec 20 - 10:24 AM

MovieWatcher

Tony C

awesome film. http://moviestowatchwhenbored.org/

Dec 20 - 10:26 AM

MovieWatcher

Tony C

Fantastic film. Great from start to finish.
[url]http://moviestowatchwhenbored.org/[/url]

Dec 20 - 10:29 AM

Michael Gates

Michael Gates

um, Taxi Driver losing to Rocky anybody? That was the biggest miscarriage by the acadamy voters

Aug 16 - 07:46 PM