GoodFellas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoodFellas Reviews

January 12, 2013
Honestly, I expected Al Pacino to be in this movie. Unfortunately, that's not the case. But GoodFellas is still great on its own, with the drama bleeding out the characters with their brilliant performances. The story did well to be told from the perspective of Henry Hill, and he played his role in the story perfectly. A good selection of songs to befit the various settings also works well, and the dramatic action brings out the violent nature of the family business. The best part is that it's sequel-proof.
½ July 27, 2006
150805: I've seen so many Mafia movies over my life; I think they've just lost their impact. I remember the first time I saw this film; I was a bit shocked by the violence. With that, and this viewing, one scene still managed to shock me; so I guess that's a good thing? A decent, if not really good, Mafia film considering how many have been done.
July 27, 2015
a bit more boring than I thought
½ July 7, 2015
Man, what a fantastic movie. Scorsese's entire career is defined by this movie, and it is definitely an achievement to look back on. De Niro is fantastic, Liotta is great, and Pesci is unbelievable. The writing is the high point of this movie, as it is at times hilarious, and other times chilling. The directing is so fast paced and upbeat, I was never bored in this 2 and a half hour movie. The way the movie ends is perfect, despite leaving you wanting more. But that's the genius of Scorsese: You want to keep watching. It is probably Scorsese's best movie, and one of my favorties of his. 9.5/10
November 13, 2014
Stylish and classy drama of a real life gangster crime story. Some great performances but the editing could have been better and the length shorter. Considered to be one of the best gangster films of all time. 1001
½ July 11, 2015
With great performances and a virtuoso behind the camera, this gangster epos demands your attention even through its monotonous lengths.
July 11, 2015
Martin Scorsese proves he's a master of biopics in this realistic and stylish gangster film. Probably the best mob film next to The Godfather.
July 11, 2015
Scorsese had sworn off gangster movies before this, but cinema's divine entity had other plans. When handed gallery proofs from Nicholas Pileggi's biography on Henry Hill, a onetime mobster who rose through the ranks as a young man before famously turning informant in the early 1980s, Scorsese rescinded his genre-retirement and crafted what many believe to be his greatest film ever. And he approached Goodfellas in a way he never had with any of his films, releasing an arsenal of technical tricks to match the frenetic pacing of the script; dueling narratives, freeze-frames and tracking shots all rise to the occasion and keep Goodfellas from being just another cannoli fest. As evidenced by the shocking opener, Goodfellas isn't afraid to get its hands dirty and spare no blood or bullets in showing you exactly how Henry Hill and his buddies climbed the ranks of the Mafia. Where The Godfather positioned itself in the dark corridors of Mafiosi management, GoodFellas rolls around in blood and sawdust on the shop floor.
July 5, 2015
Scorsese's best film. Everything about it is perfect: the acting, directing, writing, soundtrack etc.
July 3, 2015
A standard for all modern gangster flick
July 2, 2015
A movie I love to watch more so often than not. Fantastic performance from Ray Liotta and the rest of the cast. Tastefully portrayed on the real like event. It's a must see mafia/mob film.
March 29, 2014
As a Martin Scorsese admirer, it was a dreadful shame that I hadn't seen one of the films he's best known for. Gangster films were huge in the 80's-90's, particularly the Godfather trilogy. Scorsese has produced a few iconic ganster films. This film reminded me why I love his films. "Goodfellas" is brilliantly directed by Martin Scorsese. The cast includes Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, and Paul Sorvino.

Henry Hill (Liotta) was just a kid when he got involved with Paul and his crew. Henry always dreamt of becoming a gangster. Paul and his crew welcomed the young man into the family, and he assisted them in distributing their money. After they get busted, Henry renains loyal to his family, and it stays that way for years. Things go awry when Tommy (Pesci) and Jimmy (De Niro) start killing more and more, making their way to the top.

Without a doubt, this film is known for its performances. Ray Liotta is a wonderful actor, and he's best known for this film. Liotta gives a great performance. He's absolute batshit crazy at times, and despite a few moments of overdoing it, Liotta handles his character well. Henry is crazy, but no ones more crazy than Tommy. Many will recognize him as the mean guy from Home Alone, and Pesci is really mean in this film. He's an absolute psychopath, and Pesci-as you can tell-is having a blast playing him. Finally, Robert De Niro also gives a great performance. De Niro has worked with Scorsese several times, most notably in Taxi Driver. All of the performances are superb, and the cast works perfectly together. There is a scene in the film in which they're all sitting around a table whilst Liotta laughs his ass off. It's priceless.

Amidst the flurry of classic rock music and a fantastic score is a superb crime thriller. Goodfellas is unapologetically brutal, grotesque, and comedically charged. On paper, it's just as brilliant. The script is full to the brim of great one liners and witty dialogue. Michael Ballhaus does a brilliant job behind the camera. I'm a big supporter of using film. It looks really crisp, and the color is much richer than today's digitally shot movies.
June 29, 2015
Perhaps Martin Scorsese's best film, with the best characters, and the best story. Goodfellas is a good time well spent watching this movie.
June 21, 2015
In addition to being intensely solid and well-inspired, it's Martin Scorsese's most iconic film and probably the most defining film in the gangster genre.
June 21, 2015
Scorsese is a master at capturing authentic representations of time and place. He does this to great effect in his quintessential gangster classic, Goodfellas. Everything about this film is so perfectly realized and executed. That memorable tracking shot of Henry displaying the influence of his lifestyle by leading Karen through the back way of the Copa always comes to mind. Brilliant direction and rich characterizations bring this true story to life in fine form. This one is not to be missed. A Scorsese classic and arguably his best film.

February 11, 2015
Goodfellas is in some ways like the Godfather at a street level of crime and now amping up the violence. Treating the mafia lifestyle as though it were a walk in the park at times and other times making you run through that park away from someone trying to whack you, Martin Scorsese crafts a complex story with tons of twists and turns, quirky characters and high jinks. Ray Liotta is star making as Henry Hill, a man raised up to be loyal to the people that did the raising, but ends up completely turning that around after taking too much coke. Then again, it was the '80s. Besides that, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci both perform their roles in the movie and Hill's life to a tee.
June 18, 2015
This is my favorite film of all time. The directing, the perfect casting, the screenplay and everything in between, is perfect. This movie chronicles the life of mobster Henry Hill, and his rise to the top, along side Jimmy Conway and Tommy DeVito, the three men try to become "made". I know a huge review diving into everyone in the film I like is expected, but there's not much to say about this masterpiece of cinema, and in my opinion, Scorsese's best feature.
June 13, 2015
The best gangster movie ever made, 'Nuff said.
June 2, 2015
The best mob film ever made. A story that remains in my mind for so long. All performances were perfectly suited to their characters. thirty years in the story of Paulie's mob. Scorsese should've received the Academy Award as Best Direction by this film. This was the third time I watched the film and I discovered new issues.
February 19, 2010
The most enjoyable Mafia film you will ever see. Joe Pesci is at his funniest, Robert De Niro is the man you don't wanna cross paths with and Ray Liotta is the man stuck in the middle. All three of them get their taste of the great life, before it all comes tumbling down.