Deranged

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Deranged Reviews

July 31, 2014
It wins points on the creep factor alone.
July 27, 2014
I wouldn't go so far as to call Deranged a bad film, or even a good film. It sort of falls in between, but there are lots of images in this film that I'll remember for the rest of my life. The story is essentially a re-telling of Ed Gein, the infamous killer whose exploits have been covered in various different forms in a variety of different horror movies over the years. This film probably adheres to the actual events more closely than any I've ever seen, but it also changes the names of all of the characters and beefs up the story for a little more suspense. After all, we don't know everything that Gein was up to during that period of time. One thing is for sure about the film though, it's very effective. You'll want to take a shower or watch something funny afterwards. The film is pretty well made, with the team behind it including Alan Ormsby and Bob Clark, and Roberts Blossom does a great job. It's not something I'd see more than once, but it's a worth a watch if you're into something that's a little more factual that doesn't hold back on the gory details.
April 23, 2014
Very amusing and delightfully sick horror based on Ed Gein. Roberts Blossom is excellent in the lead role, this film also boasts some of Tom Savini's early makeup work.
August 20, 2013
Ed Gein was truly Deranged, and that is who this film is based on only the names and location have been changed. Other films inspired by Ed Gein were Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Silence of the Lambs, but they only took a bite of the cream. Deranged, however, is more about accuracy with a few changes here and there. Roberts Blossom plays the Gein based character Erza Cobb who goes crazy when his over bearing mother dies. Deranged is focused on storytelling and suspense with a few scenes of gore in this low budget pic. Not a bad film I say.
May 13, 2013
Roberts Blossom (The bearded old boy from Home Alone and John Carpenter's Christine) plays a loner looney intent on killing women upon the orders of his deceased Mother. A direct riff on the Ed Gein story. Has its moments. Of both intentional and unintentional comedy, amongst the dated grue.
July 5, 2007
Yet another film based on the horrendous crimes of Ed Gein. I seem to remember this film being somewhat disturbing and trashy, but really intriguing at the same time.
April 7, 2013
An unintentionally hillarious, yet sometimes horrifying horror movie based on the life of Ed Gein although the main character's name is changed.

Roberts Blossom tries his hardest to be scary as Ezra Cobb but his performance comes off as being more camp than anything else.

The murder sequences, although there are only a couple, are handled very well and contain a fair amount of suspense even though the gore is quite low. The movie tells the Gein story quite well and the highlight performance has to come from the actress who plays his mother.

Being a low budget movie, the soundtrack is very limited and it often plays the same portion of music over and over which can become quickly annoying but this is nothing new from low budget horror films of this era.

It's worth seeking out if you are curious about the Ed Gein case or are a Roberts Blossom fan.
March 14, 2013
awesome. creepy, dark and dingy. i read its supposed to actually be pretty close to the actual Ed Gein story. now i want to read about him and know for sure. great film either way.
December 26, 2012
Ezra Cobb is a homicidal mamma's boy--A true bone-chiller!!
November 18, 2012
Ed Gein's influence is every place now days!
December 18, 2011
Hated it, I thought this movie was very crap and I will not watch this film ever again, I expected better than that, I don't want this on DVD, it was directed by Jeff Gillen, Alan Ormsby, crap movie
October 7, 2012
A great movie that is closet to the true story of ed gein.
Sandman1968
September 30, 2012
The story of infamous serial killer Ed Gein has been told on film many times before, most notably in "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Psycho". The low budget film "Deranged" tells the same man's story but was released by American International Pictures, so you pretty much know what you're in for here.

The remarkable thing is that the first half of the movie is unintentionally hilarious, and I fell in love with it almost immediately. Roberts Blossom gives what could be the most memorable performance os his career as Ezra Robb. It's demented and hysterical, sometimes at the same time. Still, my favorite actor in the film was Leslie Carlson as the narrator. He pops up from time to time to intone serious plot details in a wonderfully serious monotone. Every drive-in movie from the '70's should be so lucky to have him.

There is actually one unnerving scene in which a waitress stumbles into Blossom's room of horror and discovers him in his flesh suit. It legitimately works, and from that scene forward the film becomes more serious. I actually found myself involved in this story rather than simply laughing at the campy acting and silly dialogue. I honestly began to make the movie seriously, and it builds to a climax that is frankly kind of suspenseful.

The make-up effects by a young Tom Savini shows promise, and "Deranged" is something of a mixed bag that is ultimately worth watching. It's funny, sometimes creepy and always oddly captivating.
September 15, 2012
woah. This one is amazing. Aside from having Alan "Children shouldn't play with dead things" Ormsby so involved, plus an amazing performance from Roberts Blossom, there is so much authentic grit that there is no way it could fail. Low on gore, but high on creep and brutal, plus really excellent locations and cinematography, Deranged has a real horrid sense about it. Even the "narrator" seems to work, oddly enough.
tonycj92
August 6, 2012
A great horror flick. A well acted and gruesome classic.
June 23, 2012
How many ways can we retell the story of Ed Gein? Let me count the ways: Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Silence of the Lambs, and the oft-forgotten Deranged. Deranged probably has most in common with Chainsaw Massacre albeit without the extreme gore and violence. Deranged is a subtler but no less unsettling film that combines humor and horror together into an unforgettable exploitation classic that features an aesthetic as seedy as its subject matter.
July 23, 2012
Ed Gein has been the subject of many famous horror films and here we have a very accurate portrayal of his insanity. Perhaps, it's the closest to what he was actually like. That said, it all falls a bit flat. The acting is decent and there are some creepy moments that borderline on psychotic so it's worth checking out if you're a fan of this character. For average horror fans though, it's all a bit dull.
spiralrayonshorts
June 9, 2012
Not for everybody.. This decent retelling of the ED Gein story is a slow burn that takes awhile and features great acting by character actor Roberts Blossom