Sorry, Wrong Number Reviews

flixsterman
½ January 18, 2009
I spent the first 86 minutes hoping Barbara Stanwyck would get what's coming to her and the last 3 minutes praying she'd escape. What a sensational screenplay ( la Lucille Fletcher)!
September 5, 2010
Probably the first great telephone themed thriller ever. I highly recommend this movie.
December 2, 2008
A bedridden invalid tying to reach her husband by telephone overhears part of a murder plot when her wire is accidentally crossed. This terrific little thriller is basically a woman-in-peril melodrama shot in the style of a film noir. It isn't difficult to pick holes in the story - indeed, the whole plot hinges on the most enormous of coincidences: that of all the telephone conversations in New York, Stanwyck should overhear this particular one - but it really is a beautifully made picture. Sol Polito's magnificent photography deserves a special mention, and some of the elaborate camera movements and seamless effects shots are still impressive today. Lancaster is great and Stanwyck's transition from haughty hypochondria to gibbering hysteria over the course of the movie is a tour de force. The bleak ending still packs a wallop but my favourite scene is the first Staten Island flashback, which besides being very mysterious has an extraordinary dreamlike texture.
mwilliams078
½ April 13, 2008
This has to be one of my favorite Barbara Stanwyck films. It is a good film noir from the 40's. A husband is sick of his wive and wants her money so he hires a killer. Barbara Stanwyck plays the rich invalid whom hears these voices on her phone of a plot to kill a someone....it is such a screen gem that is great to see.
April 5, 2007
Best ending ever
March 31, 2014
A story of paranoia and suspense, it likely gets more positive airplay than it should. It isn't bad and Stanwyck's performance is good but it likely plays better in its original radio format.
January 26, 2009
Sorry, Wrong Number is a thriller you want to see! It has very much mystery to it, and Barbara Stanwyck is absolutely stunning in this movie.
½ May 18, 2008
a good suspense movie, Barbara Stanwyck did a good job as did Burt Lancaster, but not the best work out of either of them.
March 16, 2008
Laughable plot at best. Not one of Hitch's greatest works in my opinion. It's way too outdated as well.
½ March 8, 2008
I should really rewatch this movie because I thought it was extremely boring upon first viewing. But it was only in the parts without Barbara Stanywick. The climax and ending were outstanding.
½ October 19, 2007
Good performance by Stanwyck but movie is to slow and boring after a great set-up in the first 10 minutes.
½ August 18, 2007
Slightly different turn for both these actors who worked within the studio system. Pleasant change of pace.
½ January 17, 2007
i heard the first radio thing too. barbar staynwcik is ne of the best old actresses. and they made the girl woh wrote the play is the person who wrote it. and burt lancaster is one of my faovirt eators. but its icitng as not as good.
September 26, 2006
Oooh. I read the radio play a few months ago and was curious to see how they were going to transfer a 10-page one-room drama into a 2-hour story. The answer: lots of flashbacks. The result: oddly mixed atmosphere. Romantic drama one minute, suspense thriller the netx. However, the last bit was rather freaky and it was enjoyable overall.
July 11, 2015
Re-imagining this as the radio play it once was is instructive. The film could easily dispense with the visuals, which add nothing at all, and perhaps it would be more harrowing alone in the dark with just the soundtrack. And perhaps Agnes Moorhead, the original victim of this noir tragedy, would have been better and more shrewish (Barbara Stanwyck's sultry portrayal in Double Indemnity stands out a bit too much in memory to reconceptualise her in this role). The plot involves Stanwyck overhearing a murder plot on a crossed telephone line and then we (and she) learn about the possible crime's backstory through flashbacks. Of course, she's in trouble (a woman in peril again; see also The Two Mrs. Carrolls from the previous year). Burt Lancaster and William Conrad are, unfortunately, sorely neglected here and, all things considered, this is a pretty creaky show. Next time, I might turn off the screen and turn out the lights.
July 26, 2012
Rent it, for Stanwyck.
½ January 18, 2015
Inquietante film, con una Barbara Stanwyck desbordante
July 2, 2014
Very interestingly told, almost entirely through phone conversation and flashbacks. Unfortunately, the relationships between the characters are never completely defined, giving the film a slightly muddled sense behind it.