Sorry, Wrong Number - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sorry, Wrong Number Reviews

flixsterman
½ January 18, 2009
I spent the first 86 minutes hoping Barbara Stanwyck would get what's coming to her and the last 3 minutes praying she'd escape. What a sensational screenplay ( la Lucille Fletcher)!
September 5, 2010
Probably the first great telephone themed thriller ever. I highly recommend this movie.
December 2, 2008
A bedridden invalid tying to reach her husband by telephone overhears part of a murder plot when her wire is accidentally crossed. This terrific little thriller is basically a woman-in-peril melodrama shot in the style of a film noir. It isn't difficult to pick holes in the story - indeed, the whole plot hinges on the most enormous of coincidences: that of all the telephone conversations in New York, Stanwyck should overhear this particular one - but it really is a beautifully made picture. Sol Polito's magnificent photography deserves a special mention, and some of the elaborate camera movements and seamless effects shots are still impressive today. Lancaster is great and Stanwyck's transition from haughty hypochondria to gibbering hysteria over the course of the movie is a tour de force. The bleak ending still packs a wallop but my favourite scene is the first Staten Island flashback, which besides being very mysterious has an extraordinary dreamlike texture.
mwilliams078
½ April 13, 2008
This has to be one of my favorite Barbara Stanwyck films. It is a good film noir from the 40's. A husband is sick of his wive and wants her money so he hires a killer. Barbara Stanwyck plays the rich invalid whom hears these voices on her phone of a plot to kill a someone....it is such a screen gem that is great to see.
April 5, 2007
Best ending ever
March 31, 2014
A story of paranoia and suspense, it likely gets more positive airplay than it should. It isn't bad and Stanwyck's performance is good but it likely plays better in its original radio format.
July 2, 2014
Very interestingly told, almost entirely through phone conversation and flashbacks. Unfortunately, the relationships between the characters are never completely defined, giving the film a slightly muddled sense behind it.
½ January 30, 2012
74%

I would have killed the annoying Leona Stevenson myself...well, maybe smacked her around a bit...Okay, Okay, I would use harsh language to hurt her feelings. Unfortunately, Stanwyck's performance annoyed the shit out of me (I guess she was that good) to the point that, it affected the my RT score. Great ending though.
August 31, 2011
If she would've just tried to get out of that bed once! She was glued to that phone throughout the whole movie! lol! Good movie though. Although she was on the phone the whole time the movie kept my interest.
June 2, 2010
So-so suspense. The bulk of it is told in flashback, sometimes flashbacks within flashbacks. From Barbara Stanwyck's point of view, almost every piece of information is gleaned from the telephone, which often becomes an instrument of menace. The film is heavy on exposition and light on tension, but has some interesting plot developments and a satisfying conclusion. One's sympathies shift as we see Stanwyck and Lancaster from the perspectives of other characters. Stanwyck's performance isn't that great, but it has a fun campy edge to it.
½ September 5, 2009
*** (out of four)

A great performance from Barbara Stanwyck is the center of this thriller that garnered her an Oscar nomination.

While trying to reach her husband over the phone, a bed-ridden woman (Stanwyck) gets connected to a wrong number where she overhears two men plotting a murder.

Nicely shot and directed with deliciously eerie atmosphere.
May 4, 2009
Suspenseful classic, Barbara Stanwyck, as always, is amazing. Exciting, well paced and good cinematography. Very well written and engrossing. Good supporting cast.
January 26, 2009
Sorry, Wrong Number is a thriller you want to see! It has very much mystery to it, and Barbara Stanwyck is absolutely stunning in this movie.
½ May 18, 2008
a good suspense movie, Barbara Stanwyck did a good job as did Burt Lancaster, but not the best work out of either of them.
March 16, 2008
Laughable plot at best. Not one of Hitch's greatest works in my opinion. It's way too outdated as well.
½ March 8, 2008
I should really rewatch this movie because I thought it was extremely boring upon first viewing. But it was only in the parts without Barbara Stanywick. The climax and ending were outstanding.
February 2, 2008
[color=black]This movie started out great, but it got really boring and hard to follow in the middle. I felt like I was watching Family Guy with all of those flashbacks. But the ending was one of the best movie endings ever conceived.[/color]
February 9, 2016
Genre-defining film noir with career best performances by Barbara Stanwyk and Burt Lancaster. Essential.
½ December 5, 2015
Wonderful suspenseful thriller\film noir.