91% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

41% Working the Engels: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Ofelas (Pathfinder) Reviews

June 18, 2012
This is a movie most of you have probably never heard of in your life. In fact, I wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for this one random internet list about the top ten "cold" movies. It hada trailer for this movie set to some incredible music, and thus, I was curious to see the movie.

Now, this is a foreign film. It's a foreign film, mind you, that was made in the late 80's and that was never released on DVD stateside, so I had to look all over YouTube to find it. Eventually, I found it in a video titled OFEI_@$ (for copyright... on a film that no one knows about. Yeah, make sense of that), sat down, watched it in full... and oh man, this is one of the best made movies I've ever seen in my life.

Yes, this is a foreign movie with subtitles. Yes, this is just a simple story. And yes, there are probably more amazing movies that will keep your attention. But looking at this for what it is, a coming-of-age story set to an old Sami (think Eskimos, but in Norway) legend... this is a great movie. It has good characters, the actors are descent (I think, this is in a different language after all), and the pacing flows pretty well. I even got to see some culture from a people I wouldn't have known about otherwise. And that's kind of cool.

So yeah, if you want to see an interesting mythology movie (which are kind of rare. nowadays), check this out. You might have to do some searching, but I do believe it's worth it.

P.S. There was a movie made in 2007 called Pathfinder, that is basically an American remake of this movie. Skip it. On top of having nothing to do with this movie, it just plain sucks. That is all.
June 16, 2011
Superb nail biting chase thriller. Awesome chase scenes with bows, arrows & skis. Incredible this film is so little known.
cappieforpresident
December 20, 2010
BORING! Had to watch this in Norwegian class... Grammar tasks would've been way more pleasant. Then again, I hate movies where I don't understand the spoken language, so it's not suprising that I didn't like it.
March 11, 2010
It is a shame there has been no DVD release for this outstanding Norwegian film. This Academy Award film is worth searching for. This film is evidence that a large scale budget is not needed for terrific entertainment and filmmaking art. The film is about a group of nomadic killers who slaughter a family - except the teenage son who observed the tragedy. He is captured by the group, but his plans for revenge remain. Tense and gripping throughout.
March 27, 2010
Not really too keen on norwegianmade movies, but it was ok.
melbell.etsy.com
January 4, 2010
A little known movie with a lot of heart. I'm most likely bias towards this film due to the fact that I grew up in a Finnish community & have a affinity with the Laplander culture. At face value this film has some terribly cheesy effects (the worst bear hunt you ever saw), rudimentary acting & a pretty simple plot that is somewhat predictable. To me this film is pure, like clean snow in which it took place. The violence wasn't glorified, it had a love story without any sex scenes & it's story line was simple & not convoluted.
August 28, 2007
A realy good norwegian movie.
Stephen Thoemmes
September 23, 2009
This is the first Lapp film that I've seen. It was quite an experience. It is definitely NOT a family film. It scared an 8 year old out of his mind and sent 2 teenaged girls out of the room in tears. Yes, it is a fierce story that has a lot of graphic cruelty. But the film also had the power to pull me so far into the story that I was wondering how the hero will pull it off, forgetting that it was a film. Now that's an achievement considering the film's provenance.

The photography was excellent, the acting was somewhat unusual to me. But it did convey, effectively, a whole cultural outlook. The enemy Tchudes were vicious plunderers that took everything, even the lives, of a peaceful and generous people. How to fight this well armed group of psychopaths seemed to be impossible. But inventiveness and good does win out. The romantic ending was boffo because the hero really gets the girl.

A mutli-region DVD player is a must for any film buff who wishes to explore this wide world of international cinema.
Byron B

May 16, 2009
nominated for best foreign film at the oscars
mandapandacanda1
December 9, 2008
Foriegn(sp?) film, subtitles.
January 15, 2008
This movie is soooo goood! you´ll have to see it if you have the chance, its great! Mikkel Gaup is great too. In swedish is called Vägvisaren.
December 3, 2007
quality movie from lapland - a teenager is forced to show a evil group where the next village is to destroy them, he uses his knowledge of the land to kill them off on icy rivers & raggy cliffs.
Steelbars
October 24, 2007
One of the better norwegian movies ever
August 3, 2007
I liked this film of revenge. If you can get your hands on it, give it a watch!
June 13, 2007
Famous for being the greatest Lap film of all time - because it's the only one in competition. Fine story, though at times the leads seem like caracatures.
micc98
May 11, 2007
AH, I see the new Hollywood one is a remake.....
November 25, 2006
denne filmen e dødsbra! og an får kjempe svæært pluss sidn an e norsk! og de snakkar på samisk, og d gjør filmen unik! andre som ser denne filmen, vil kanskje ikkje være eni i min fire-og-en-halv stjerne vurdering, men eg e så stolt ovar at norge hvertfall har lagd èn utroli bra film!
Sahve
February 13, 2006
This is a fantastic film. A taut thriller following a young scandinavian boy as he seeks refuge and attempts to avenge the slaughter of his family. It's brilliant.