The Secret Garden - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret Garden Reviews

½ June 5, 2015
Wonderful movie.

The story of a girl who is sent to live with her uncle on his estate when her parents die. There she discovers much intrigue, family history and secrets and personal baggage. In particular, a screaming child and...a secret garden.

Incredibly engaging and enchanting story. The three kids who form the main characters are quite sweet and the interaction between the three is fantastic.

Add in an air of mystery and some cute and/or funny moments (look out for the goat, fox and raven...) and you have a movie where every moment is a joy to watch.

The whole thing feels like a Rudyard Kipling novel (and I was surprised this wasn't based on a novel of his - India even features in the background story), with a smidgen of Edgar Allan Poe thrown in.

Excellent performance by Margaret O'Brien as Mary. 12-year Dean Stockwell (whom I did not recognise for a moment) and Brian Roper are also great as the two other kids.

The presence of Elsa Lanchaster tells you this is a great movie - she has the golden touch in terms of acting in classics (especially in supporting roles). She puts in a good performance here too.

Great work by a raven in an uncredited role.
January 18, 2015
La mejor de todas las versiones , encantadora pelicula.
October 14, 2013
[Interested: cannot find.]
December 6, 2012
I prefer the version from 1993. This one was drab and flat and while the Wizard of Oz like switch to colour in the garden was an inspired touch it ultimately didn't succeed in penetrating to the theme of the celebration of living that makes this such a great story.
½ November 24, 2011
How is it that I haven't rated this before now? I LOVE this movie in all its cinematic melodrama. I bawl my eyes out every time. Marvelous. Timeless.
½ December 21, 2010
Great movie. A classic!! I saw this a long time ago and it was great then and will be great now!
½ February 21, 2010
Though many people may find the child actor's performances to be perhaps- annoying and far too overdramatic at times, for their taste, I really enjoyed the performances from the two children in this movie! I thought Margaret O'Brien, especially, did a great job and found her to be very endearing. All of the other film versions of "The Secret Garden" have never been appealing to me. This has been the only version I have enjoyed. And what a treat we get with the surprise near the end of the film!
September 26, 2007
I really enjoyed this version. I've loved this story since I was very young, and all the actors and actresses did a great job in this one. It was awesome when, towards the end, we get to enter the garden and the screen turns from black and white to beautiful color. It's a pretty fulfilling movie overall.
April 1, 2009
One of the best movies out there, especially for young girls.
January 28, 2008
I love this story since I was a child and this is my favorie version - mostly because of Margaret O'Brien.
January 15, 2009
That kid can yell alot...
September 20, 2008
A COOL MOIVE!!! this movie has animals and i love animals!!!
September 2, 2008
Ha ha! This is an excellent movie I saw this summer on holiday in the fair distant countryside of Finland. It is so bad it's actually good, I hate the children because I tend to not like childactors in general, but these kids are especially annoying. Which in this context of a really horrible movie becomes just a total inferno of bad things coming together resulting in - yes, you guessed it - an great Sunday-afternoon film and in a way I'd like to say watching this and liking it is very kitsch. Though the actual film in itself of course is not kitsch at all.
½ July 19, 2008
Wonderful performances, and beautiful set design, make this film a definite must-see. No studio could match MGM's lush approach, and stylized sets seen in [i]The Secret Garden[/i] bring the script alive, in a fashion no "location" filming could have accomplished. Utilizing a "partial" Technicolor application seen in [i]The Wizard of Oz[/i] and [i]The Women,[/i] MGM manages to provide an emotional punch when it is most needed. Magaret O'Brien is perfect in the lead, and minor supporting roles are cast to perfection. A few of the scenes are surprisingly creepy. Although, today, the film is labeled as "family," it can be surprisingly harsh, with none of the treacle that sinks many a movie intended for the general audience.
March 27, 2008
not too bad for an older movie
March 23, 2008
i dont know why i love this movie so much. i can watch it over and over again.
½ August 25, 2007
its such an educational thing but mischiviose
½ November 3, 2007
ok, new one is better
October 20, 2007
I loved this movie..
½ July 11, 2007
how can you not like this movie