Average Rating: 3.4/10
Reviews Counted: 16
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 14
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 2
Fresh: 0 | Rotten: 2
Average Rating: 2.8/5
User Ratings: 20,725
Sylvester Stallone gives comedy another try in this farce set in the 1930s. Angelo "Snaps" Provelone (Stallone) is the wealthy and powerful head of the Chicago mob, but his ailing father (Kirk Douglas) doesn't approve of his life in crime, and on his deathbed, Dad makes Snaps promise to go straight. Determined to honor his late father's wishes, Snaps decides to go into banking -- just as his life has fallen into chaos. Anthony Russano (Vincent Spano) informs Snaps that he's hijacked $50,000 of
Apr 26, 1991 Wide
May 6, 2003
Watch It Now
Angelo "Snaps" Provo...
Dr. Thornton Poole
Five Spot Charlie
Yvonne De Carlo
Sam Chew Jr.
Art La Fleur
Face on the Cutting ...
Frankie the Roach
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
When you're looking to remake French cinema, the name 'Stallone' leaps immediately to mind. As in, 'for God's sake, don't cast Sylvester Stallone!'
Bad idea badly executed.
This is why Stallone gave up on comedy.
Only occasionally flirts with the breathless lunacy of well-conceived farce - and there are huge, painful gaps in between the few worthwhile gags.
The charm of this film lay in the talents of the supporting characters.
Audience Reviews for Oscar
- Connie: Maybe it was a miracle. You know, like the loafs and the fishes.
- Father Clemente: By the way, congratulations on your daughter marrying Bruce Underwood!
- Sofia Provolone: Umm I'm afraid there's been a change father she's now marrying a nice Italian boy, Anthony Rossano
- Father Clemente: that's all for the better! nothing but a BIG Italian wedding Anthony Rossano
- Angelo "Snaps" Provolone: Naw forget Anthony, she's not marrying him anymore
- Sofia Provolone: WHAT!!
- Father Clemente: Well that's a shame, but she's young, someday she'll find the right one
- Angelo "Snaps" Provolone: She's found the right one
- Sofia Provolone: WHO!!
- Angelo "Snaps" Provolone: DR. Poole
- Sofia Provolone: DR. POOLE?!!
- Dr. Thornton Poole: HELLO!!
- Angelo "Snaps" Provolone: Get back into the room!
- Father Clemente: looks like a nice young man
- Sofia Provolone: why is she marrying Dr. Poole, she barely knows him?
- Angelo "Snaps" Provolone: she barely knew the chofer too
- Sofia Provolone: Don't drag out Oscar in front of the father!
- Father Clemente: Who's Oscar?
- Sofia Provolone: Why isn't she marrying Anthony?!
- Angelo "Snaps" Provolone: Because Anthony is marrying Theresa
- Sofia Provolone: WHO"S THERESA?!!
- Angelo "Snaps" Provolone: Look, it's really very simple but i ain't got time to explain, I've got to call Nora
- Father Clemente: Whos Nora?
- Sofia Provolone: our maid
- Angelo "Snaps" Provolone: EX MAID!!
- Sofia Provolone: Now You fire the maid!!
- Angelo "Snaps" Provolone: no, she quit to marry Bruce Underwood!
- Sofia Provolone: when did that happen?!!
- Angelo "Snaps" Provolone: I DON"T KNOW!! Somewhere between my vest and my pants
- Dr. Thornton Poole: No way.
Discuss Oscar on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Oscar
August 2, 2013:Ellen DeGeneres Hosting 86th Academy Awards
DeGeneres will return to the Oscars stage on March 2.
January 2, 2013:New E-Voting Initiative Causes Academy Awards Debacle
The voting deadline has been pushed back, but a number of high-profile members are vocally unhappy.
March 14, 2012:Academy Sets Date for 2013 Oscars
Clear your schedule for the evening of February 24.