• PG-13, 1 hr. 23 min.

Hot Shots! Reviews

skactopus
skactopus

August 16, 2014
Top Gun takes a turn for the funny in Jim Abrahams' Hot Shots!.Flying in at 80+ minutes of screen time, the comedic spoof of a story manages to keep itself together with all the senseless antics. Much like any other comedy, the humor is hit and miss; however, Hot Shots does manage a good number of laughs, as it should with the constant barrage of senseless comedy written into the script.The brain doesn't have to function at a high level to pick up on the fun. At the same time, a lot of it is easily relatable without having to be high on pop culture.The faces of Charlie Sheen, Valeria Golino, and Cary Elwes, among others, do what they have to do in a film of this caliber. Lloyd Bridges is the star of the show. If there are laughs to be had, it is at his expense.Hot Shots! is a comedic quickie and a relaxing sit through. Nothing more, nothing less.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 9, 2011
Hot Shots! Is a spoof of Top Gun. This is a pretty funny film that has lots of memorable moments. The cast do a pretty decent job at bringing on the laughs, and each character is memorable. There are plenty of funny bits in the film, and as far as spoof films are concerned, Hot Shots! Is a pretty good film considering. The film is nothing special, but is nonetheless a lot of fun. I've seen it a few times, and it still manages to hold up quite a bit. I still enjoy it, and what I like about the film is that it's still a good spoof film compared to the many unfunny ones of recent memory. Hot Shots! Is a very funny comedy to watch with friends and it's one of the best spoof films of the 80's. Of course this film doesn't beat Airplane! But this film is still pretty funny for what it is. There are plenty of great lines here that are quotable and humorous. I've never really been that big into Charlie Sheen, I much loved him in Platoon, Young Guns and Major League and Hot Shots! I think that this is Sheen's best comedy film along with Major League. The film has many good gags, and will most likely appeal to fans of Top Gun as much as fans of spoof films. As a comedy, Hot Shots! Works well because the gags are a lot of fun, and the humor is well crafted. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's still a pretty good film to watch. A very entertaining comedy that will make you laugh. This film is lots of fun too.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
An okay spoof movie, it has a fair amount of funny jokes, but it could have been a lot better.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

September 8, 2010
1 star
Spencer S

August 3, 2010
Another funny farce. If you like anything by Mel Brooks, the Airplane films, or a Farrelly brothers masterpiece, then you'll love this.
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

June 15, 2010
The gags and jokes are pretty darn funny. Watched this on Mother's Day of '09 with my cousin and all I can say we laughed and had a good time. But Hot Shots 2 is slightly better.

"I'm goin' to Disneyland."
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 8, 2009
The Mother of all MOVIES!!!!
Cassandra M

November 6, 2009
Hot Shots is one of my favourite movies when it comes to comedy. It was made in a time that farting and burping weren't yet considered as the very best humour has to offer.

This film is very enjoyable when you don't know any of the movies this parody has been based on (very hard to believe), but when you do know the movies, Hot Shots is really hilarious from time to time. Most of the time they make fun of Top Gun, but movies like Superman, Dances with Wolves, Gone with the Wind... can be recognized in it as well.

Topper Harley is an excellent pilot who left the navy because he couldn't cope with the feelings of guilt over his father. His father didn't do enough to help his co-pilot during a mission and the poor man got killed in an awful way. When he found out, Topper decided never to fly again. He now lives on his own with an Indian and a wolf, inhaling helium. However, when Lt Commander Block offers a second chance, to take part in secret mission Sleepy Weasel, Topper decides to fly again, although this means that he'll have to deal with a difficult love interest and his old fears.

This movie certainly scores above average when you ask me.
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
Some funny bits but its no Airplane!
Phil H

August 23, 2007
Probably the best spoof since the 'Naked Gun'. Sheen and Bridges really hit the mark as they lampoon Top Gun brilliantly. The effects are cheesey but good and the laughs range from childish to very smart. Spoofs and airplanes seem to work very well together.
'are to..are to to to to to to to....are to times infinatey'
Lady D

March 1, 2007
this film still manages to raise lots of smiles with me, even though I almost know it off by heart, it certainly appeals to my sense of humour
TheGame90
TheGame90

August 12, 2008
This was a disapointment....the second one is much better
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 9, 2007
Not as enjoyable as I remember it to be, but still a worthwhile and fun enough spoof flick, that parodies classics such as Top Gun, Dances with Wolves and A Few Good Men. It's a pleasant reminder of a time when this genre wasn't all about lame Britney Spears jokes or pointless MTV references.
Jon L

May 1, 2008
Funny, but I can't remember this one very well.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 11, 2007
really funny slapstic
Dan S

September 16, 2007
Hilarious, extremely off the wall movie that had my dying the first time I saw it.
Lafe F

July 11, 2007
A very light-hearted comedy with a some groaner jokes, and many good ones.
Dean !

June 27, 2007
A good spoof of action films, mainly Top Gun, with some great visual gags.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 9, 2007
silly but fun
garyX
garyX

March 18, 2007
The usual scattershot genre spoofing turns it's attention to Top Gun and it's ilk. Fine if you like this kind of thing, but personally I thought Top Gun was funnier...