• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Dogfight Reviews

May 13, 2014
Sad, sweet, compassionate and touching. A great character piece, and a fantastic, layered and realistic female lead. A great mix cruel and kind.
Mike N.
February 27, 2014
I recommend it. The characters and the story is intoxicating.
January 5, 2014
Love will always win.
James Sidis
February 12, 2013
This has become one of my favorite River Phoenix movies of all time. It's sad to think that it's been almost 20 years since he died. This film reminds you of how great of an actor he was, and what the world truly lost that dreadful day that he died. Just watch the trailer for the film. It should be enough to hook you in.
July 8, 2013
Hell of a movie. Can't believe I ain't seen or heard of it until now. So damn good
lucy w.
April 13, 2013
A touching and delicate love story, heightened by its charming leads and a well-written script that is able to present us two interesting characters in all their complexity. Unlike other romantic stories, this one feels real, since the viewer, early on, enters in each character's world and thus, can relate to their feelings and words. A little-known gem which delights and moves us. Highly recommended.
June 3, 2013
Great film! Not your ordinary love story.
June 1, 2013
Great memories of this film. Phoenix was great as usual. There's a lot to like here, as flawed as it is.
May 19, 2013
A box office flop at the time of its release, "Dogfight" is one of the more quirky and interesting love stories to hit the screen. The subject matter is at first harsh, but handled with respect and a light comedic touch. In the end, it's the relationship formed between Army cadet Eddie Birdlace and sweet ugly duckling Rose Fenney, and they are both played wonderfully by River Phoenix and Lili Taylor. They're the reason to catch this bittersweet, underrated tale of the 1960's.
April 1, 2013
this is the type of movie that had to grow on me after repeated watchings but soon became a fave of mine. it has an edginess/rawness to it from the very beginning and river is one of the few actors where you can go from loathing his character and then feel for him by the end of the movie. very well done movie. highly recommend it.
November 28, 2012
Still the first movie I think of whenever anyone asks me my favourite. River and Lili you acted your arses off, Bravo.
July 5, 2007
A touching little drama. One of River Pheonix's last pictures.
November 9, 2012
What drew me to Dogfight the most is the surprisingly heartfelt and tender tones that the film produces, accredited in part to both River Phoenix and Lili Taylor.
October 26, 2012
I saw this movie as an 18 year old. I fell in love with it, and I have never grown out of it. Maybe I am emotionally stunted. :)
October 16, 2012
beautiful romantic story, with out corny one liners that you would usally find in a love story
March 20, 2011
I was hoping to give this four stars, but the superficial, typical way in which the sixties were portrayed in the latter half of the film was disappointing. The war sequence was also tacky. But it's worth the watch if only for the beautiful chemistry created by River Phoenix and Lili Taylor, who both shine radiantly in their roles. It was also just really funny, and immensely enjoyable.
September 26, 2012
Sad and moving romance that I actually liked.
July 25, 2012
Absolutely amazing. Beautiful movie, beautiful piece of art, and I look forward to every time I get to sit down and watch it. A love movie up there with the likes of the Notebook and the Titanic. "Abso-fucking-loutely", as Eddie Birdlace says, amazing.
July 25, 2009
It's heartbreaking to see this film now that I am more familiar with River Phoenix's work. The character he plays is young and immature and trying so hard to appear tough. River brings a tenderness to the jackass marine we first encounter as Birdlace, so much so that we are able to empathize with his character even after the cruel way he uses Rose. The healing power of truly connecting with someone else is evident in the memorable evening Birdlace spends with the sweet and kind Rose, who doesn't appear like much at first glance but as the movie progresses it becomes clear how wonderful she is.
April 27, 2011
a small, quiet love story of sorts that takes place in the temporal/political outskirts of the vietnam conflict with understated but endearing performances. third or fourth viewing this time and i feel like i'm finally awake to appreciate all of the details and honor its narrative claim.