Spoorloos (The Vanishing) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spoorloos (The Vanishing) Reviews

½ February 3, 2016
Hah! not sure how that dumbass didn't see it coming. at least he's with his beloved now.
½ November 3, 2014
*Spoiler: You know it's European, cause the bad guy wins.

That, and the self-indulgent level of psychological study.
Good drama. Well directed, and acted. But ZERO retribution. I hate that.
I can't believe the protagonist's lack of justice. He says he doesn't want to punish the murderer. Doesn't even want to turn him in. He's as insane as his enemy. Why didn't he walk away?! Hope you enjoy your oval egg, since you thought it best to "do it for her." Hope you enjoy taking "destiny" in your own hands. Jerkface.
The antagonist is pure evil. Her loss felt so final, that I actually fely incredibly relieved that the actress was still alive. SASKIA!
January 22, 2010
Seen it. Don't know what to say about it yet.
November 27, 2015
A very interesting movie, that tells us from the first 20 minutes who the killer most probably is. What I liked about this movie is that we as an audience delve into the mind of the killer and see how he thinks.This killer appearance wise seems like a normal guy and has a family that loves him. He keeps practicing to try and get a women into his car. After a string of failures he finally succeeds to lure the girlfriend of the protagonist. The protagonist continues to obsessively search for his girlfriend even after being missing for three years. My problems with this movie was the unnecessary scenes with the protagonist and his new girlfriend.(If he stayed single his obsession would have felt more real) SPOILER ALERT------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A reasonable man would not have drunk the coffee,why would someone give up life for an answer when that knowing answer could very well lead to your death. I think there could have been more ways that the protagonist could have explored to try and find out the truth. But as mystery/thriller movie it did what I expect from a movie from that genre and that is to keep you on the edge of your seat and to keep you guessing and wanting to find out what happened to the missing girl.
½ November 16, 2015
87%
Watched this on 16/11/15
The scariest ending of all time? Are you gonna make me laugh to death? Well it's clearly not what RT tells it is, for sure. Vanishing is a disturbing psychological piece which happens to have an interesting structure where it descends into the mind of a serial killer effectively. It is well shot and well acted. Lead actor Gene Bervoets gives an emotionally powerful performance. Lead actress Johanna ter Steege is also impressive and actor Bernard-Pierre leaves a great impression as the serial killer. The film avoids genre cliches and it's well directed. But sadly I am disappointed at the fact that it's ending neither turned out to be that scary or suspenseful, it was kind of imminent.
½ March 23, 2013
"The Vanishing" is a fantastic thriller, and skillfully navigates through several genres with elements of classic thrillers, psychological horror, and mystery. Viewers who may not normally be drawn to contemporary European cinema will be captivated. Director George Sluizer unfolds his story with unnerving precision. Cutting back and forth in time, he traces the paths taken by the three main characters.
July 18, 2015
A Good start but worst ending.Seriously i hate the story of this movie , complete dump film.
July 11, 2015
Good reminder of what people can be capable of.
July 11, 2015
Good reminder of what people can be capable of.
½ June 27, 2015
Brilliant thriller, realistic as few others. Gut ripping disappearance, and a man left with millions of unanswered questions. A calculation monster of a sociopath carries the answers.
½ May 13, 2015
85% on my Tomatometer.
½ April 6, 2015
A gripping art house chiller that will stay with you long after it has finished. It's very rare to find a film that is both thrilling and explores the existential. The only way the film could have been improved would have been to add noir-esque photography to a film that has many film noir themes. However, that is just nit-picking. This is a must watch film that culminates with the most heart breaking of endings.
April 3, 2015
Interesting - but never "terrifying" as some reviews say. Completely underwhelming ending.
March 15, 2015
A movie that wouldn't have worked half as well had it's ending been anything different. The entire movie is eerie, with a mounting dread that is paid off with that utterly frightening finale.
½ February 16, 2015
With one of the most terrifying endings of all time, Spoorlos is an unforgettable study of a sociopath.
January 8, 2015
A journey into the mind of a psychopath. Forget about Hannibal Lecter nonsense -- this movie explores the true banality of evil.

How such a seemingly nondescript man harbors such malevolence, and does horrifying things to fellow humans as a form of self-amusement, gives to the audience a warning: Monsters do exist, and you probably know one or two.

This movie is an adaptation of a novel by the Dutch writer Tim Krabbe. Krabbe is also a competitive cyclist and a chess grand master.

Avoid the American version, also called The Vanishing. It embodies everything that is wrong with corporate Hollywood.
½ July 20, 2011
A novel idea, a story told from the protagonist's and antagonist's POV, George Sluizer subverts the usual thriller structure and answers all the big questions early on. The rest of the running time in this unnerving thriller is spent turning the the screws on our hero as he attempts to unravel the disappearance of his girlfriend at a busy service station three years before. Slow moving and torturously tense, Sluizer shakes off any embellishment in his adaptation of Tim Krabbe's novel and hones into the crux of what makes thrillers so damn effective; our connection with a character, our inherent instinct to protect him, and the ultimate realization that we can't. The Vanishing is deeply unsettling, shakes hands with horror, at times all-too plausible and all the more horrifying for it. and if you're not discomfited by the ending, you may want to consider selling your blood as jet fuel.
November 21, 2014
INCREDIBLE 1988 suspense film from the Netherlands. Just after finishing it, I couldn't help but think how such a simple story could have been so easily screwed up. It avoids all thriller cliches and remains unpredictable until the very end, which I guarantee will shake you up. Powerful stuff. HIGHLY recommend this one.
½ November 12, 2014
Creepy. Didn't see that ending coming.
November 3, 2014
I can see why Sluizer never went on to do anything else of note; all he did here was luck out with an awesome script and have the good sense not to get in its way. The acting is clunky and awkward, the music is terrible, and if you have a vague idea of the ending, as I did, there's not much tension. But it works because it's a good story with a fascinating structure and an almost perfect pace. Sometimes that's all it takes.