• R, 2 hr. 14 min.

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Grand Canyon Reviews

April 13, 2014
One of the most amazing, underseen films of its time. The film, with all its unforunate "events" have one central theme it wants to get across. "That hey, life is kinda worth living aint it?" It also contains when of the most moving and power ending scenes in cinema. Well earned. Not so much as in depressing or sad, just that hey, we did it. we got here. and everything isnt all that bad."
muffin0681
June 20, 2013
When a lawyer's (Kevin Kline) car breaks down in a dangerous Los Angeles neighborhood, a tow-truck driver (Danny Glover) arrives just in time to save his life. The two men begin a deep friendship that sets off a chain of unsettling and surprising events involving their families and friends for years to come.

also stars Steve Martin, Mary McDonnell, Mary-Louise Parker, Alfre Woodard, Jeremy Sisto, Tina Lifford and Patrick Malorie.

directed by Lawrence Kasdan.
December 31, 2013
Wonderful life-afirming film that helps one put it all in perspective on many levels. Excellent script and cast.
January 6, 2014
I Love this movie!!! it was released just SIX MONTHS before the LA riots in 1992 too!!
November 3, 2013
Kasdan's follow-up to the The Big Chill is thoughtful, emotional and heart-warming. But it's a very Hollywood movie at times. There are a couple moments that are horribly cliched and contrived. It's no where near as subtle as Accidental Tourist. Yet, Kasdan's heart is in the right place. Years later, Short Cuts and Magnolia would perfect this episodic, multi-character, Los Angeles mosaic. In Grand Canyon, Steve Martin's character is the most surprising and interesting. But one does ultimately care a great deal about the others as well. As obvious as it is, it's a good stepping stone to Altman and Anderson's masterpieces.
bxehrxqwyb
September 7, 2013
Totally underrated. One of my all-time favorites. Every scene beams with a subtle tension that acknowledges our connections and the stress we all face.
July 6, 2007
Extremely forgettable stuff.
December 16, 2011
I loved this movie, great movie I want this movie on DVD, it was better than what I expected. It starred Kevin Kline, Danny Glover and Steve Martin, I thought it was a good film, better than what I expected it to be
September 1, 2012
Powerfully acted and featuring fluid dialogue, "Grand Canyon" shows the viewers a strong social commentary that intends to demolish boundaries that exist in our society - but previously set by society itself.
July 22, 2012
It is sad to say, that since his movie came out 21 years ago, things in Los Angeles have not changed for the better. I still love this town, having lived in plenty other cities across the world, LA is still a special place. "Davis: That's part of your problem: you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies."
Mark P.
June 16, 2012
Lawrence Kasdan and his usual players. What could go wrong? A lot. This whole movie felt forced and phony, like an early rehearsal.
June 12, 2012
If you're a thinker rather than a casual viewer, this movie can give you something.
Alicia D.
June 11, 2012
There were some parts that were enjoyable, but they were few and far between and as a whole, the film was almost unwatchable. I probably would have walked out after the first 30 minutes had I not been watching it as a class assignment.
May 25, 2012
Possibly the worst movie I've ever seen. Watching this in 2012 reminds me of how pompous the LA crowd is.
Critique Threatt
Critique Threatt

April 7, 2012
I really enjoyed this picture and a film like this (another being Crash) is what Americans need to see today. It made me learn more about people who are living in a heartless society, coping with near death experiences and split second discisons to act. America will always be plauged with race, class, gender and other issues (Capatalism at it's finest) but films like these is what's needed because it's a wake up call for the better. "Grand Canyon" isn't a film about certain types of class of people is more about breaking down barries and seeing life from a different angle with characters who happen to bump into each other and hopefully audiences will seem to care.

Director Lawrence Kasdan's Grand Canyon is a gathering of random events, uniting the film's wildly divergent protagonists. Driving home from an LA Lakers game, Mack (Kevin Kline), an immigration attorney, is stranded in an unsavory part of town when his car breaks down. He is rescued from a gang of hoods by Simon (Danny Glover), an African-American tow truck driver, inaugurating a friendship between these two men. Mack offers to repay Simon's kindness by helping his sister (Tina Lifford) find an apartment in a better neighborhood, and by arranging a blind date between Simon and Jane (Alfre Woodard), a friend of Mack's secretary Dee (Mary Louise Parker). Woven into this fabric are the tribulations of Mack's best friend, a pompous exploitation movie producer (Steve Martin), who is later wounded in a robbery similar to the one threatening Mack at the beginning of the film; of Mack's wife Claire (Mary McDonnell), who adopts an abandoned baby, and disenfranchised son Roberto (Jeremy Sisto); and of Simon's nephew (Patrick Malone), who is contemplating joining a street gang.
March 29, 2012
This movie made no sense to me. It's timeline went back and forth. Too confusing.
January 19, 2012
An uplifting drama from Larry Kasdan that takes a peek into the modern urban life, about the fear and confined spaces within which everyone's living.
The plot revolves around six characters, each of them having trouble to get on with their daily lives, for several different reasons. As these lives serendipitously criss-cross each other, they're convinced eventually that there's hope at the end of the tunnel.
January 19, 2011
One of the best American movies of the 90's. Still fresh and relevant today.
October 27, 2011
Not as melodramatic as 'Crash' and its characters are better drawn as well.