Father of the Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Father of the Bride Reviews

½ July 29, 2015
Also one of the first movies I ever saw, and I have fond memories of that first shot of Annie Banks at the top of the stairs then gleefully sliding down the banister, the father-daughter basketball grudge-match underscored by "My Girl," the puppy-dog fiancé played by George Newbern, radiant matriarch Diane Keaton, and it goes without saying, Steve Martin's manic meltdown over eight hot dogs versus twelve hot dog buns!

I've always loved Kimberly Williams' crystal blue eyes and feisty exuberance, long before she did "The 10th Kingdom" and added a Paisley. Both Williams sisters for that matter (Ashley who played HIMYM's Victoria). This remake definitely feels more modern with many augmenting details like George's shoe company, the impish little brother-cum-valet, and Annie's career-driven life outside of love and family. Martin Short's and B.D. Wong's over-the-top wedding planners are over-the-top, but what are you gonna do?
April 28, 2009
"I've seen this film more times then I can remember. My mother loves this movie and the one that followed it. So anytime it's on the T.V. we have to watch it. I enjoy it. It reminds me of how simple films use to be. There's not a huge story-line with this film, yet it still charms and holds ones attention. Plus it's funny. Not laugh out loud funny, but the kind that puts a smile on your face. The film feels comfortable. It's one of those movies you can always come back to and watch and know every line and every scene by heart, but still enjoy it just as much as the first time you watched it. It's a movie that never gets old. I only have a handful of movies that are like that for me. Plus there is three legends in the film, Steve Martin, Martin Short, and the great Diane Keaton. A great cast. If you haven't had the chance to watch it, do so. It's a great early 90's film."
January 1, 2012
George: This was the moment I'd been dreading for the past six months. Well, actually for the past 22 years.

"A comedy about letting go."

Father of the Bride is an amusing, heartfelt comedy. I wasn't overly impressed by it, but I did enjoy it. Steve Martin's performance is a little more subtle then his usual screwball routine. The movie happens to be much more entertaining than I thought it would be after the first 20 minutes or so. It started slow, with a speech by Steve Martin about what would occur in the film. It started to pick up once we met the daughter and her soon to be husband though. Mildly funny, but not laugh out loud hilarious, sums this up pretty well.

Father of the Bride follows a six moth period between George finding out his daughter, Annie, is getting married to the wedding day. George freaks out when he hears the news, not wanting his daughter to leave him. Then he starts freaking out even more when he sees all the stuff he has to pay for; swans, cake, tuxedo', and even roundtrip airfare for the grooms extended Danish family. He is constantly hounded with details about a wedding that he doesn't want to even occur. But like a good father, he does what he needs to for his daughter

The films theme is sweet, and in the end it turns out to be a pretty touching film overall. I haven't seen the original, but I can definitely say it is on my to watch list. This remake is a pretty easy to enjoy film, but I suspect the original would be at least a little better. At least that's what I've been told. Worth a look, even if you're not a big fan of Martin.
April 5, 2008
Hillarious!!! This movie is just a wonderful story about Dads having difficulties letting go of their little girl. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
½ August 28, 2010
This is a good family movie. I wouldn't say this was hilarious as some of the scenes seemed to be. But this was decent. I haven't seen the original movie. But this was enough to give me the general idea of that. I liked the wedding planner most. He was the best character that made me laugh.
½ January 8, 2010
Not an incredible movie, but it's fluffy enough to enjoy. If you like the actors then you will like the movie, but if you don't then you won't. There was actually some really funny stuff with Steve Martin and Martin Short in this, which was worth the movie in itself.
June 13, 2006
I picture my dad every time I watch this... Funny!
½ May 30, 2007
steve martin's psychotic soliloquys kind of make this movie worth it.
July 13, 2007
Steve's character goes through a mid life crisis as his daughter is grown and is about to marry. Martin is hilarious as the wedding planner.
June 25, 2007
Steve Martin is Steve Martin.
May 31, 2007
good comedy, funny and entertaining.. Good castSteve Martin and Diane Keaton make agood couple and Martin Short is great as the gay wedding planner
May 6, 2007
does anyone really like these types of things?
½ March 15, 2007
Oh, Steve. If only you'd died 20 years ago. You'd be a comedy LEGEND by now...
½ January 22, 2007
a good chick flick, made me feel bad for steve martin the whole time, he should put his women in check
January 21, 2007
Meh. Parenthood > this. Father of the Bride is one of Steve Martin's non-roles where he just kind of mugs his way through the entire movie, not really developing much of a character. He's good at what he does, but doesn't really have a lot of range.
December 27, 2006
Funny remake.
October 30, 2006
This remake of the old Spencer Tracy movie has Steve Martin as the harrassed father facing the loss of his daughter to another man, as well as the bill that goes with it.
½ October 3, 2006
So bad I went to sleep watching it...
June 16, 2013
Father of the Bride is a heartwarming tale that's sure to make you laugh and cry. Steve Martin stars as George Banks, whose daughter returns home from studying abroad in Europe with the shocking news that she's engaged to be married. Co-starring Diane Keaton, Kimberly Williams, and Martin Short, the film has an excellent cast. However, it's Martin's performance that steals the show, and the comedy really plays to his strengths. But, the film is also really good with the dramatic and emotional moments too; which makes for an especially touching father/daughter relationship. A wonderful and charming comedy, Father of the Bride is an inspired film.
December 2, 2011
Father of the Bride is a very smart comedy that shows what every father truly feels when his daughter is married. Steve Martin is truly what makes the movie so funny, he is one of the legends of comedy and this is one of his funniest and finest performances. The plot is interesting because of the characters who are quickly likable, and how you can easily relate to this father being skeptical about this marriage and its just one disaster after another. My main problem was that Diane Keatons character and their son were not given much to do in this film other than be tools used for jokes for Steve Martin. This film may focus a little too much on Steve Martin's character, but other than that it's a great comedy with a lot of heart and I truly enjoyed it.