• Gladiator

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Gladiator Reviews

Cynthia S

May 18, 2011
How did I miss this 1992 gem?! Very impressive performances from Cuba Gooding Jr, James Marshall, and Brian Dennehy. An underrated gem that explores the underground world of professional street boxing. It was well done, and I really enjoyed it! This movie may be among one of the highest quality unknown films that I have come across...
Jason O

September 8, 2009
Tommy Riley (James Marshall) goes to a different school and is immediately bullied around and threatened by several of the school's students. After getting in a street fight, Pappy Jack (Robert Loggia) notices Tommy's strong and fierce punch and invites him to be a boxer. Tommy was formerly a boxing champion before coming to this school and his record is undefeated. This town is full of gangs and violence, and one day Tommy helps a black boxer named Lincoln (Cuba Gooding, Jr.), and they then have a good friendship. Tommy is now making good money being a boxer and he has some friends, but something just doesn't seem right.
"Gladiator" is an exciting boxing and drama movie. What makes it so great is not only the exciting fights, but the great acting by everybody in the movie, mainly James Marshall, Cuba Gooding, Jr., and Tommy's promoter, Jimmy Horn (Brian Dennehy). If you like exciting boxing movies that have a plot or just great movies in general, I recommend getting "Gladiator." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. The most underrated boxing film I know of, even though it's not THAT "Gladiator" film that everyone knows.
Alexander W

January 15, 2008
I really liked this film, it was a good film that got better, and in the end failed to make me sad, good ending!
EightThirty .

August 28, 2007
Good film...Good Drama ^_^
deano
deano

November 20, 2006
Great illegal boxing sequences.
Lee K

April 6, 2009
Great boxing flick that doesn't seem to make it on the tube that often. If you are a boxing fan then i suggest you have a look at this if you can. Good storyline about a underground boxing circuit and Brian Dennehy does an amazing job as the mean boxing promoter.
Sean S

January 13, 2007
The Roman Empire follows it American destiny and becomes a republic. Oh wait that didn't happen much like my enjoyment of this movie.
July 29, 2011
Imagine the best parts of Rocky III and Rocky IV. Imagine that Ivan Drago was a white boy who lived in the US and had to fight to pay off his gambling debts. Now, imagine that his best friend, Apollo, couldn't fight and was almost killed in the ring.......

OK, now, it comes off like an 80's flick even in the early 90's, but it's still an OK movie. With 20 minutes to go in the film, you wonder how they're going to end it, but somehow they do. Robert Loggia and Brian Dennehy are great and Cuba Gooding and James Marshall are also good. Liked Ossie Davis as the coach (very good).

The part about this was that it just played off like the Rocky Movies and it seemed like a tribute to them rather than a new film. Kind of a been there, done that, although the performance from the veteran actors (and even Cuba & James) were still good..... I just thought that the way it ended was pretty good, although I won't be seeing it again any time soon.
November 20, 2007
Good movie! It's a shame James Marshall never did anything with his career. He was the protagonist in this movie, but most ppl wouldn't know him from a whole in the ground. If Cuba Gooding went to a shopping mall, he would be mobbed in a minute!
grimm667
August 21, 2007
i didn't realize that punching somebody in the top of the head would hurt you more, that's a pretty tender area.
April 12, 2007
Cuba Gooding Jr. did a movie after "Boyz In The Hood" and it went alittle something like this. Cuba = Awesome Boxer / New White kid = scrappy boxer. Scrappy boxer beats Awesome proven boxer and wins the hearts of 10's.
charger46112
March 24, 2007
For some reason I really like this movie. It's a really great film and I've seen it about 20 times. "Hence the fact that I like it. Huh?
gunnarfitz
January 10, 2007
Cuba's breakthrough performace "for me anyways"...the man in me loved this film, the critic in me says....um.......
Bribarian
April 12, 2014
I liked it. It's a bit of a black guy meets white guy movie. They join forces to combat a bad guy boxing ring owner who pretends to own fighters as well. Overall I'd say good movie.
Alex A
November 21, 2013
Gladiator is an underrated 90's urban boxing drama. James Marshall is not the best actor so his performance is just above average, but he gets the job done. Everyone else though, Cuba Gooding Jr, Brian Dennehy, and Robert Loggia are solid. The movie itself as a whole isn't groundbreaking nor would I call it fantastic, and the racial slurs spread around in it felt highly shoehorned. Either way, Gladiator is quite entertaining with well choreographed fight sequences and a solid story. It's definitely not the best boxing film ever, but it holds its own.
Tyler F.
October 19, 2013
Look- no critic is going to give this thing more than a 25%, but make no mistake- this is a good movie. If you watch it, you won't regret it. What more do you need to know?
June 13, 2013
An underrated gem...I give it a A-, B+...Awesome performance by Cuba Gooding, James Marshall and John Seda as Romano...
horse c.
April 2, 2013
Good fun boxing movie
November 3, 2012
Absolutamente centrada en el Boxeo, gustara en la medida que se disfrute y se tenga aficion a dicho deporte, aunque no deja de ser un drama urbano, puesto esta totalmente alejado del glamour de los circuitos pros o historias tipo Rocky, siendo las arenas ilegales el foco narrativo de unos gladiadores urbanos que tienen que ganarse la vida y salir adelante sea como sea.

Ah, buena suerte encontrandola en algun sitio para ver o descargar sin antes vertelas con Russell Crowe
September 12, 2012
Dennehy and Loggia define the balls in this chessey boxing flick.