Cool World Reviews

October 14, 2010
Without any of the charm or iconic imagery of its obvious predecessor "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," this film is ugly and dark in all the wrong ways. The director originally wanted something darker, akin to Frank Miller's "Sin City," but was stonewalled into creating a more family friendly venture. What emerged was not only; not family friendly, but was disgusting and gross. The characters are supposed to be outliers who are dangerous and violent, but they're just idiotic stereotypes. The animation in this is horrible, bordering on amateur. The characters engage in all the insane antics of a Warner Bros. cartoon without the charm of a Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck. The plot doesn't connect very well, and often relies on stupid logic. The ending especially doesn't make much sense, and the logic to get to it boggles the mind. The main drag is the reliance on three dimensional actors in a two dimensional space, which the set designers get around by creating two dimensional sets that often make it obvious that they don't possess the technology to meld these two mediums. It's just a tragically dull film that tries to make animation into an art, but instead makes you gag.
½ October 27, 2011
At first glance this just comes across as a more adult version of 'Roger Rabbit' and you'd be right basically. The plot is almost the same kind of thing involving a toon (they are called doodles) trying to get into the real world and then turn it into another toon world, pretty basic idea.

Bakshi tries again with animation but fails to capture anything of greatness here with this poor film, the film looks good in the animated world, background wise, but the actual animated characters all look horrible and badly designed. The animation of the characters is pretty shoddy looking and can't compare to 'Roger Rabbit' or any classic Warner Bros/Hanna Barbera toons, the only character that does move well is the femme fatale 'Holli'. Plus the live cast simply don't mix well with the animated characters, far too obvious.

The only bit of interest in the film is the fact that its slightly adult based and shows toons being 'killed', toons showing their butts, swearing a little, mild sexual references and the character 'Holli' shows quite a bit of ass n knickers throughout which we all wanted 'Jessica Rabbit' to do haha. Cast is wildly different in terms of skills, Pitt looks the part but simply can't act too well full stop, Basinger doesn't look anywhere near as good as her cartoon version lol! and she too can't act to save her life (not that hot either in my opinion) and Byrne is way too good for this kind of silliness and shows himself up really.

Mainly the animation gives it some appeal and it is somewhat of a cult, slightly, but falls well short of a decent film and makes little sense really.
February 4, 2011
I didn't expect much from this because of both the critics and audiences responses, but it was way worse than I thought. The only reason I was able to finish the movie was to see how it got worse. I like Brad Pitt but even he was enough to save the movie. I hated everything about. The concept to me is stupid. Brad Pitt is in a cartoon world keeping the cartoons from having sex with humans. It's like a cross between Roger Rabbit and Fritz the Cat.
½ April 23, 2011
*NOTE: This review is only of the first 20 minutes of the film due to the fact that the reviewer almost shoved the TV remote through his neck after only watching that much.
BAD. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. There are no other words that can describe this. I know I didn't watch the whole thing, but I dare you to try and sit through this. I dare you, I really do. Then again, making it to the end of this catastrophe could be seen as masochism. If you're wondering why I haven't mentioned the plot yet, it's because it barely exists and what little there is makes no sense at all. This is Brad Pitt's worst film, without a shadow of a doubt. A cheap CHEAP Roger Rabbit knockoff with no redeeming qualities. In short: DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM.
September 6, 2010
I love Bakshi's work, his art always impresses me, and the animation in this film is no exception. The only problem with this movie was that it came so soon after Who Framed Roger Rabbit that everyone thinks he was trying to ride on the success of that movie. And it is kinda true, this movie is much more toned down from his past films, if it were more like Fritz it could have been amazing. Overall, I still enjoy this movie no matter what.
April 16, 2011
Probably one of the most chaotically constructed movies ever made, but it's definitely interesting. Even if you hate the movie it has the bonkers performance from Brad Pitt that makes it worth watching. Seeing him interact with cartoons for and hour and a half is even weirder than it sounds. What is obvious here is the complete lack of storytelling. You could tell that there was a plot somewhere, but it was drowned in the concept of a cartoon world. I still think that it is a lot better than Who Framed Roger Rabbit, even though this is far less polished and has multiple moments of shear insanity. Ralph Bakshi's work is interesting no matter what, I really like the way he perceives animation and his projects are always unique.
April 26, 2007
Not that memorable.
October 1, 2007
Crazy animation, some of it pretty cool. The movie started to go downhill pretty quick in the last half hour or so, but certainly interesting before that point.
March 13, 2007
Kim Basinger is a cartoon character who can only become human by having sex with a real person. Technically competent in its mix of live-action and animation, it is incompetent in absolutely every other way.
March 13, 2006
Its as if they found the formula to animate shit.
October 12, 2014
Anything but cool, Cool World is a bizarre mixture of live-action and animation. The story follows a doodle named Holli from the animated realm Cool World who's trying to cross over to the real-world. Starring Brad Pitt, Kim Basinger, and Gabriel Byrne, the cast has some talent; but they're not used particularly well. Additionally, the animated character designs are incredibly generic and dirty. But what really hurts the film is Ralph Bakshi's directing, which is overly busy with nonsensical cartoon action that's not related to what's happening in the scenes. And, the actors are poorly integrated into the animation (and vice versa). A crazy mess of a film, Cool World tries to do too much and ends up failing at everything.
August 3, 2011
I'll tell you one thing, this movie is not for kids. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is far more appropriate than this.

Oh, but it's also mindless, pointless, extremely creepy, filled with plot holes, uninspired & terrible characters, & makes little to no sense.

Plot/Story: The plot is very hard to find in here, & in fact, I don't think there was a plot in this movie. As for the story, it practically goes nowhere. And trust me when I say that this is by far the worst live action & half animation movie I have ever seen, by far. Oh, but that is the least of this film's problems.

This film is extremely inappropriate for anyone under 16 years old. there are extremely suggestive sexual scenes in this movie, & one of them was so disturbing that after it ended, my cousin & I looked at each other with a "WTF" face & both of our eyebrows raised. This movie has plenty of sexual themes, & none of them fill in the plot holes the film has. And the film is really nasty rather than funny to finish this off.

Coloring/Animation: The animation is done smooth & clean, but, it is poorly executed & forgettable. The human-like characters don't move naturally, & the non-human characters have unnaturally deformed movements. Oh but that's not even the start; the world of Cool World has extremely disturbing & random realistic & toony floating heads going in & out & all over the place. How can anyone in such a world live, let alone sleep, with such things? I have no idea. I sure know I would never sleep ever again if I lived in Cool World.

The visuals in here are nice, they are, but they are let down by the forgettable animation, & creepy, mindless characters. And the mixture of animation & live action is poorly done. You can see how fake it all looks.

Music/Score: The score is also rather nice, as well as the soundtrack, but it's not really worth talking about.

Cast/Acting: The cast members in here were great choices, but they all looked like fools, especially Brad Pitt. The acting in this movie was just horrible. They all sounded bored & like they really didn't wanna continue being in the movie, especially Pitt, who looked like he wanted to shoot himself throughout the whole movie.

Characters: The characters in this movie are mindless, & uninspired. Pitt's character was a detective who came into the animated world of Cool World by some weird mistake after losing his mother in a motorcycle accident. Holli Would is an anti-hero female character who is both stupid & extremely arrogant. And I don't even wanna continue shit-talking the rest of the characters in this movie.

Final summation. This movie sucks. It's a nasty, inappropriate, & poorly done movie that can almost be described as a badly an extended music video. Do NOT force your kids to watch this movie, let alone even yourself.
February 24, 2011
Nothing more than a cheap knockoff of "who framed roger rabbit".
½ February 15, 2006
Let's get beyond the fact that the movie is pretty bad and that the animation doesn't stand up anymore. What really drives me wild is the ridiculous amount of animation "noise" in every scene. There will be a scene, and 50 unrelated things will all be happening in the background with nothing "toons". It's more than just distracting, it's frustrating.
½ June 4, 2007
There's no denying that this film is an absolute disaster. Even as an enthusiastic fan of Ralph Bakshi, I ran out of patience by the time the climactic scene arrived. Apparently, the studio's interference with Bakshi's original vision is what caused such incomprehensible results. Regardless of whose fault it is, this movie is too fast and too frantic for people to register. The nonsensical, dizzying "plot" is even more confusing than the lightning-speed editing. Although it rips apart at the seams, I think Cool World is a very interesting failure and I would encourage Bakshi fans to watch it (but to proceed with caution).
April 10, 2010
The movie is about two men who flee the harsh reality of life and end up in a fantasy world called "The Cool World which is a stunningly sick and twisted universe with deliciously surreal scenery which just happens to be animated. One man (Brad Pitt) got sucked in to Cool World and has been living there for quite a while. The other man (Gabriel Byrne) recently entered and believes the entire Cool World came from his personal imagination. Both men, when they meet, don't get along, because they both consider each other as intruding into their own fantasy world. Then we have the ultra sexy cartoon girl (Kim Bassinger) who thinks that having sex with a human is the key to entering the Real world. Gabriel is the guy she attempts to seduce into sleeping with her, while Brad tries to stop them because sex is forbidden between humans and cartoons.
½ July 20, 2011
repulsive, repellent, distasteful. Not funny at all... Ralph Bakshi failed at relaunching his career (This film gives me the creeps when i watched it when I was little) Despite all these negativity, the visual effect and set design were quite creative
November 1, 2007
Clearly hoping to jump on the bandwagon Roger Rabbit created only to fail due to Cool World being not only more Scarfe than Disney, but obsessed with sex. The plot is something about humans being forbidden to have sex with toons, if they do it's the end of both worlds. One does and Brad Pitt has to stop the worlds from ending. It was probably a good idea at some point but a low budget and poorly written characters drag it down.
½ August 2, 2007
I expected a fun "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" type of movie but Cool World is dull and stupid. It makes Monkey Bone look like a good movie.
August 15, 2008
An interesting concept and it would have a good film if it was done right. I think that if they would have stuck with Brynes character it would have been a more well developed film. Pitt's character was completely pointless and served no purpose. Unlike Roger Rabbit or Space Jam, in the "cool World" switches from a cartoon world completely animated to an empty stage with cartoonish drawn background. It is very distracting and poorly done. The story made no sense what so ever and the ending was baffling.