Conquest of Space - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conquest of Space Reviews

June 23, 2006
50's military stereotyping as it's finest. You could take this plot and it would work well in just about any enviroument. You *do* have to applaud the bravery of those folks willing to just float from shuttle to "The Wheel" without tethers or attitude jets of any kind - and NOT ONE missed!!
½ December 12, 2014
I know that this film can be regarded as something of a classic 50s sic-fi movie, but my word is it bad. The opening, pre-credit sequence is actually very impressive but my advice would be stop it there as you've seen the best of it and save yourself the agony of the awful acting and terrible dialogue. Yes the film does predict some technological advances that at the time of its making could only be dreamed of but these are mere pretty window dressings to the crass performances and wafer thin story. Clearly based on a hackneyed story of a bullying commanding officer going loopy and leading his charges to the brink of disaster, the crew of the first manned mission to Mars seems largely to be made up of second rate Sergeant Bilko cast offs. These days, the cartoony personas, which may once have seen humorous are now just toe-curling and I wouldn't trust this lot to be able to organise a trip to the supermarket never mind land on the red planet.
½ August 25, 2013
Realistic and only slightly cheesy vision of the future 1950s style. Never dull.
½ May 10, 2013
George Pal's last SF film looked great in pre-Apollo days, but now it's a relic of the time. A real let down after War of the Worlds. Strictly for genre fans.
½ March 4, 2008
The whole religious aspect of the films seems out of place and is rather curious, but the special effects are impressive. The story and the acting are fair.