—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Last of the Mohicans Reviews

Dan S

June 27, 2007
One of the best motion pictures ever made. An emotional, rich journey full of plenty of twists and turns, with the perfect hero to root for in Day-Lewis. The most impressive aspect of the entire film is director Michael Mann's eye for scenery - as this movie contains some of the most breathtaking in cinematic history. The love story between Lewis and Stowe is constructed beautifully, and the plot is paced to utter perfection. In addition, Wes Studi turns in a frightening, unforgettable performance as a man stripped of basic human emotions, whose thirst for revenge is what makes him so terrifying, since that is about all that drives him. The ending of the film is simply magnificent, and I have to say out of all the movies I've seen, this one features the best finale to a film that I can recall. It is intense, beautiful, stirring, and ultimately tragic but perfectly executed - I'm moved everytime I see it, and that's a testimony to the movie's ability to harness its power even after all the times I've viewed it. The score is also the best of the films I've seen - what a soaring soundtrack. Without question Michael Mann's best film, and one of my all-time favorite movies.
Apeneck F

July 22, 2007
A romance hiding in an adventure story posing as classical literature ... Day Lewis is up to the task as a white man bred amongst savages and nobler for it: "Me no lie!" Stowe breathes heavily in response. A good score and lush visuals aid the proceedings.
KJ P

October 1, 2010
"The Last of the Mohicans" has many things going for it, with powerful acting and a story that is just good enough to make the overall impact great. This film takes place during the mid 1700's when the war between the French and The Indians was underway. It follows one man (Hawkeye) who leads his tribe and falls in love along the way. At times, this film feels more like a love story that is complimented with war scenes, rather than the other way around. I did find myself a bit bored at times, but by the end of the film I appreciated everything and I had a great time. The visuals are great for 1992, the acting is superb, the dialogue is very sharp, and the action does not disappoint, although there could have been a little more and the pacing could have been handled a little better. "The Last of the Mohicans" is a very very good war film and that is a lot coming from me. I have never been the biggest "war" fan!
Ross C

May 31, 2007
A classic story, but a very 90s cinema epic, with sweeping American vistas and a soul-filling grand celtic sounding orchestral soundtrack. Colonial America seemed like a very dog-eat-dog world and the screenplay fails to add more meaning to the characters' lives. It remains an enticing historical account though of the days of much more gentlemen-like wars. I can see its influence on later movies, particularly Jackson's LOTR (Hawkeye chasing Magua, chould easily be replaced by Legolas chasing the Orcs).
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 18, 2011
The Last of the Mohicans is an adventurous and incredible action/drama that was worth seeing. The story taught me a lot about the French and Indian war and made me feel like I was there and that is the best kind of historical film. The cast is great, Daniel Day Lewis never fails and I just found them all to be incredible. The action scenes were also very fun to watch, and one of the highlights of the film. This movie was definently worth the watch, and had very few flaws with it.
Mark W

May 29, 2011
Director Michael Mann's vast canvas is normally urban with a keen eye for a sprawling cityscape. Here though, he shows his vision is just as effective when his surroundings are the sweeping forestry and mountain ranges of North America.
1757, the French and British battle for control of North America in the French and Indian war. Travelling through these lands are mohawk 'Chingachgook' (Russell Means), his son 'Uncas' (Eric Schweig) and his adopted white son 'Hawkeye' (Daniel Day-Lewis). They want no part of the war but when they happen to become a rescue party to 'Cora' (Madeleine Stowe) and 'Alice' (Jodhi May) daughters of Scottish Colonel Edmund Munro (Maurice Roeves) they gradually become embroiled.
During the making of this, Mann was forced by the studio to cut his +3 hour long film. Despite this, it still feels like the intended epic at just under two hours. That's thanks to his assured pacing, the beautiful cinematography and the stirring music combining to marvellous and rousing effect. It's a magnificent modern adaptation of James Fenimore Cooper's classic novel brought vibrantly to the screen by Mann's skillful direction and his ability to stage superb action set-pieces. The quietly thrilling and powerful Shakespearean finale is something to behold and one of the most tragic, yet most satisfying endings you're ever likely to see. The acting is flawless throughout, with Day-Lewis delivering a charismatic central performance and despite having very little dialogue, Wes Studi is a standout as the native 'Magua', one of cinema's greatest villians.
A sweeping epic with breathtaking cinematography, gripping action scenes and a rousing music score all coalescing for a kinetic and powerful romantic adventure. One of Mann's finest.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 24, 2007
There are things about this film that I like very much, and the overall experience is a pleasing one. There are some murky details here and there and I felt a bit disconnected from the emotion of the film, but I can understand why it haunts people. I have only seen the Definitive Director's Cut, so I'm curious how the original cut would play for me.
Phil H

October 29, 2007
So the question is which film is better? 'Mohican's' or 'Dances with Wolves'? hmm tricky but for realism its probably 'Wolves'.

A lavish romantic epic I think fits this historical offering, sweeping and glorious in both location, costume and score, this film is a Mann production of perfection. A true swashbuckler based on the 17century novel which was known to be pretty mixed and inaccurate yet a real fantasy which would not look out of place with Errol Flynn in the starring role.

The most impressive thing about this film is clearly the cinematography and the musical score, the vast landscapes are breathtaking and capture the period to a tea whilst the score is strong and emotional with some beautiful tribal/native pieces that play without any need for dialog atall! the final chase sequence is a prime example to this as the action developes accompanied by a heart pounding score with no need for any dialog or explanation.
Certainly a change in pace for Mann as he's kinda known for crime thrillers or modern day films but you wouldn't think it from seeing this film as the battles sequences are some of the best I've seen in a film with brutal hacking and slashing and plenty of blood. All the cast are major players in the industry and add to the epic quality of the film, Day-Lewis being one of the best actors of this age for sure and Studi being the most realistic looking native Indian to hit the screens hehe

Women love this film for the romance and the dashing Day-Lewis, personally I enjoy the score and I admit the love story is enticing but its the score that gives this film its life. A living romance novel and a gripping period action film that is brilliantly realistic and much better than the original novel...which is unique in itself.
Wildaly M

May 16, 2007
I was blown away by this film. Speechless. Heart-racing. I felt like I wanted to watch it again, after having only just finished it. I'll write something more specific soon.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 11, 2010
An awesome film that blends action and dramA The Last Of The Mohicans is a one of a kind film. The film focuses on three trappers that protect a British Colonel's two daughters during the French and Indian wars.
A flawless epic, The Last Of The Mohicans is a superbly crafted film based on James Fenimore Cooper's 1826 novel of the same name. Having read the book, I much preferred this adaptation over the book. This version directed by Michael Mann has the essence of the book, but with more action. Mann's directing is as usual stunning, and the way he makes his films is why he's one of my favorite directors. Here he tells Cooper's story with a breath of fresh air, this version is stunning. Everything from the costumes, acting, film Score is beautiful. A beautiful film, this film will definitely appeal to history buffs and real film fans as a work to appreciate and cherish. As a reader of James Fenimore Cooper's original book, Michael Mann's The Last Of The Mohicans is a superior take over a mediocre book. As having read it, I can honestly say to those who want to watch this film and read Cooper's classic to skip the book and watch Mann's awesome and flawless version of an unreadable epic. Cooper may have created a stunning vision with his book, but he knew jack shit about writing books, It took me everything to finish the book, it was painful. But the film is worth it, it keeps the basic ideas of the book, but adds more depth and emotion than the book. to summarize the last paragraph, skip the book watch Michael Mann's version; more emotion, more depth and a better more developed plot. Vieweable film, not so readable book. This film is stunning, well acted and directed. In time, The Last Of The Mohicans will most likely become a film classic.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
A very unusual theme for Michael Mann, who is usually known for his elegant crime thrillers, this is an adaptation of Cooper's classic novel. Although the action and fighting scenes are pretty violent and follow great choreographies, the general language and mood of the film is rather poetic. That's mostly due to the dialogs, beautiful cinematography and a gorgeous soundtrack. Sometimes that makes the movie a tad cheesy, but on the other hand an enthralling, moving and sad tale carried by powerful acting performances. There are several extremely memorable scenes, the highlight being the promontory showdown, which will leave most of the audience bawling and deeply moved. A highlight of the genre.
Alexander W

September 17, 2010
There is so much important history to the movie, it just suprises me where the truth and hollywood merge, and where the script is a romantic fantasy. I would love to see more movies from this genre, and there are some good ones. Slightly tired of the theme tune after watching this movie several hundred times, but I would watch a re-make, if Hollwood brought in the right director and camera crew.
Richard C

July 23, 2010
B
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 9, 2007
an often forgotten film that is as epic as any ever made. brilliant acting, realistic war sequences, excellent directing by mann, and awe inspiring camera work and landscapes. this was a bit before day-lewis really entered his "zone", and he was still brilliant. an epic war film that doubles as a classic love story.
Anthony L

January 6, 2010
It's only taken me 18 years to watch Last of the Mohicans! I'm not sure if it was my lengthy anticipation or the fact that better has been made since that caused my disappointment, it was probably both, the fact remains though, I was disappointed.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
Visually perfect and some of Michael Mann's best work. Daniel Day-Lewis is great, but conveys a more subtle character than usual(well he doesn't really have a usual). My only complaint is that some of the characters are a little under-developed, but since it is such an epic I can understand they were crunched for time.
Carlos M

October 27, 2009
Great entertaining epic, visually stunning, with nice performances and a beautiful score.
Lady D

August 3, 2006
I found the first half of the film surprisingly dull and the second much more exciting, I feel I need another viewing of this film to take it in better.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

March 12, 2009
"The first American hero."

Three trappers protect a British Colonel's daughters in the midst of the French and Indian War.

REVIEW
Braveheart meets Dances With Wolves in this proto-Western set before the American Revolutionary War. The cinematography is breathtaking, the costumes and props are consistently realistic, and the great Trevor Jones score, with help from the Celtic group Clannad, is so moving it's an integral part of the experience (use good speakers, if at all possible). I don't buy soundtrack albums; I bought this one. I found the storytelling to be enthralling, especially given the fact that the story, although a classic, is really a bit of a lightweight, after all. If you've read Mark Twain's comments about James Fenimore Cooper and this book, never mind; this movie makes it all work. Day Lewis, Stowe and Means give top tier performances and I was particularly impressed with Wes Studi as Magua.

The Last of the Mohicans is a must see for the cinematography alone and also, a love letter to history buffs out there.
Julie B

November 24, 2008
"I will find you!" Would that you will, Daniel Day-Louis. Would that you will...