The Bodyguard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bodyguard Reviews

June 23, 2011
A great film. Costner makes an excellent bodyguard and Houston's singing voice just blows you away everytime. The soundtrack is just as good as the film.
½ January 17, 2011
Kevin Costner stars as an ex Secret Service, turned Bodyguard who is billed as the best there is. Hired by Rachel Marron, a famous singer (played by Whitney Houston who is surprisingly good) after a series of problems from an obsessed fan.

This film sounds like (and at times plays like) a daytime TV movie. However, there is something about the 1990's Kevin Costner that transforms this film into one of the best films of its day. We are made to gasp as Kevin Costner swoops in and save the head strong singer time and time again and look on as the pair inevitably fall for each other. The only downside of this film is the somewhat unexplained jealousy of the older sister and the motives behind the assasination attempts on the famouse Rachel Marron.

"The people who hire me, they don't have to be convinced to save their own lives. "
February 19, 2008
This movie is in my opinion one of the greatest love stories of all time. The soundtrack and Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston make this movie one of my all-time favorite movies! :) Just great :)
April 22, 2007
A terrible movie with a successful soundtrack.
December 9, 2009
Great Classic.
½ July 28, 2006
In Kevin Costner's acting Hey day and Whitney Houston was still a name we heard regularly, this corny, yet unique storyline emerged onto our screens with the song everyone will remember as being played over and over and over.

Despite the cheesy aspects of the film, it does have it?s fair share of funny quoteable lines eg: Woman in green [approaching Frank] ~ "I've been watching you all night from across the room." Frank: "Why don't you go back there. Keep watching. "

The Diva role for Whitney's character wasn?t really a huge stretch of the imagination now and certainly by no means is it greatly acted, yet The Bodyguard still remains a very watchable film of the 90?s.
June 2, 2006
Awesome... One of the best movie ever made in the 1990s decade...
July 30, 2007
I will always love you.
September 14, 2007
excellant film well done performance by whitney houston and by kevin costner its a love film but has got very good action films and is very gd
½ July 22, 2007
Good music. Good cast.
½ July 7, 2007
Not bad, but Costner has seen better days.
June 20, 2007
A great romantic/action film with some great songs as well.
March 13, 2007
This is one of my best Kevin Costner's action-thriller films. Whitney Houston makes a fine performance in her debut role.
½ February 24, 2007
Absurdly soapy melodrama that's so strictly by the numbers, there is absolutely no point in watching it.
January 18, 2007
sort of cliche and silly but decent anyway
½ December 27, 2006
Good but a little overdone.
October 13, 2006
A great movie. A taunt, clever and riveting and edge of your seat romantic thriller. Intrigning, exciting and relentlessly enjoyable. Packs plenty of thrills, twist, turns and surprises. Kevin Costner gives a tough, gritty and sensational performance. He's at his best. Whitney Houston is marvelous.
February 19, 2012
There's nothing wrong with a little fun suspense and melodrama. Kevin Costner gets hired as the recently deceased Whitney Houston's bodyguard. It has some interesting twists and turns and ultimately turns out to be a simple but fun screenplay. Whitney Houston's acting isn't overall bad, but there were times when it wasn't good. At least she has an amazing voice. Kevin Costner is well cast as her bodyguard. I've seen it many times but I thought because of Ms. Houston's recent and unfortunate death, it would be a good time to revisit this fun flick.
½ December 2, 2011
The Bodyguard is a movie that started very promising but soon just went more and more downhill for me. It set up some interesting characters, gave us a interesting conflict, and started to proceed well, so what happened you may ask? Well what happened was they turned this promising thriller into some romantic Whitney Houston musical that was not a good mix of genres. It soon became predictable and I was very bored after I realized this movie was going nowhere special. It does have a great soundtrack from the late Whitney Houston and was her first film role, even if she did play a cheesy and uninspired performance. I enjoy the singing of Whitney Houston, but acting was not one of her talents. This film was a huge box office hit and I see why since it had many things going for it, but its still not what I consider a great movie.

The story follows two indivisuals, Frank Farmer (Kevin Costner) who is a ex-FBI agent who now works as a bodygaurd, and musical sensation Rachel Marron (Whitney Houston) who is recieving death threats from an unknown culprit. Farmer is hired by Marron's manager to protect her, and he reluctantly agrees due to his skeptical past that has to do with the death of Ronal Regan. When Farmer and Marron become close we soon come to notice a spark may be between this two people, bt Farmer may not be able to handle losing another person he has been hired to protect.

The plot (like I said) started off getting my attention but gradually just became boring and not even intersting. We know he will end up being in love with her and they will live happy lives thanks to each other so the entire love portion of the story was very dry and dull. As for the thrilling part of the story, it is the only thing that kept the story from being a complete chick flick and it made me keep interest. The characters are both cool and dull if you ask me. Frank begins as a total badass mystery to us and soon we just want him to catch this criminal already. Rachel Marron is just a reimaging of Whitney Houston and I am not sure what they were trying to go for with her, either she was a diva or a kind woman but it seemed like a mix and it was very hard to feel sympathy for someone who is just so annoying. Overall you may or may not love the story, but I just think it dragged on way to long and I lost interest.

The cast consists of some pretty huge names and some were great and others were not. Kevin Costner is a good actor, we can all agree he has done some crappy roles but overall he is good, and here is no exception and I enjoyed him very much. Whitney Houston needed to stay away from acting, she got to big for her circle and wanted to try acting and she did not pay off, although she sure did bring in some huge box office results for this film. Everyone else did not really do enough to capture my attention, these are the two stars and the only two anybody cared about.

The Bodyguard would have been a incredible thriller if they had just not made it a romance. Maybe if it was at least a good romance where they have chemistry but they just annoyed me with how the entire time we know they will end up together and kiss at the end to make the perfect cheesy romance flick. The thrills save the movie however, and it ended up not being a bad movie, but not very good either. If you want to remanaisse about Whitney Houston come check the only film role anybody will remember her for, other than that I don't see any huge reason to check this out.
February 16, 2012
A popular date movie and box-office hit in the early 1990s, "The Bodyguard" follows Frank Farmer (Kevin Costner), an ex-Secret Service agent, turned bodyguard, who is hired by pop sensation Rachel Marron (the late Whitney Houston in her film debut) after a series of incidents involving an obsessed fan. Cue the predictable romance, accompanied by the predictable melodramatic songs (sung by Houston, of which "I Will Always Love You" is still the stand out). Actually, besides the formidable soundtrack work by its star actress, there's very little to care about here. The writing is particularly woeful, with plot contrivances that straining the already-forced chemistry between the leads ever further. Even the climax seems to come out of nowhere due to a lack of fundamental information that isn't included in the script. We are made to gasp as Kevin Costner swoops in and saves the songstress time and time again, but we've seen it all before and executed much better than this. My advice on "Bodyguard": buy the soundtrack, which is still great, but skip the movie.