20% The Identical Sep 05

Nowhere to Run Reviews

DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

February 14, 2010
If you were a hot woman in the 90s, chances are you were on a Van Damme movie. Van Damme also had plenty of good actors as the bad guys, in this case Ted Levine, it is a shame that the script is just complete crap and just an excuse for Van Damme to bed said hot woman (Arquette) and beat the crap out of said bad guy in climatic final battle, but right after a bunch of pointless stuff that you don't care about.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
In "Nowhere To Run," Jean-Claude Van Damme plays as Sam, an escaped convict who ends up staying on a small farm with Clydie (Rosanna Arquette) and her two kids. However, he finds out that he has some new enemies while he's staying there, including a jealous cop and some men who are trying to take away the farm that Clydie and her two kids live on.
I recommend anybody who likes Van Damme movies to get "Nowhere To Run." If you aren't familiar with Van Damme's other movies, this would be a good movie to get to get you familiar. It doesn't have as much fighting in it as most of his other movies do, but it certainly doesn't lack in action. You'll see some great action sequences such as when Van Damme is trying to find a place to run from the police by riding a motorcycle. It has more drama than most of the other Van Damme movies, but it's still a good one. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Van Damme just rocks. Sad to see him getting older :-(
Jason S

September 9, 2007
A pretty plain action movie but with enough of a story to keep you interested for the run time.
garyX
garyX

December 30, 2006
More of the usual bone-headed action fare from JCVD. Not his worst effort, and Roseanna Arquette is appealing, but it's all so very "so what?"
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 22, 2007
van damme kicks some guys
Shawn M

May 18, 2012
As a kid, Van Damme movies were my top pick, Violence, Drama, this one I've watched a couple times, check it out!
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

March 17, 2010
Jean Claude Van Damme is an escaped convict who happens upon a sleepy little town and comes to the aid of a woman (hot Rosanna Arquette) and her two children who are being pressured to sell their land to corrupt developers. This is not Van Damme greatest, he does not show up his martial art skills like in Bloodsport but still pretty watchable.
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 19, 2007
Nowhere to Run is a decent film with Van Damme as an escaped convict. He befriends a single mom and her son an stays with them. When they are in danger, he's of course there to save the day.
chadroesti
chadroesti

April 3, 2007
I actually liked this movie...besides the pants pulled up to the nipples and the f'd up line by the little Culkin kid...He's got a big penis...idiot!
January 28, 2012
Your standard run of the mill Van Damme fare: Misunderstood hero with a checkered past, cursory explanation of why he sounds like that (he's from Quebec!), hot single mom first distrusts him then falls for him after he saves her kids from an attack by thugs who are working for the evil land developer who wants her to sell her land so he can build a golf course resort in the wasteland north of Fresno ... you get the idea. But what makes this special is the performance by Ted Levine (Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs) as Dunston, the head of security for the afore-mentioned land developer (who, incidentally, is played by Joss Ackland of Lethal Weapon 2 and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey).
Dunston is an ex-cop from Cleveland, a genial but menacing guy who just wants to get his job done so he can go home. He's the kind of guy who uses card tricks as a tool to threaten people.
I know, right? How badass is that?
Levine plays this role with nuance and relish, and really holds his own during the final showdown with Van Damme. It's the kind of performance I miss when I watch more modern actioners, which usually forego actual actors in this role and cast some washed up UFC star. Or Channing Tatum.
I also hate Channing Tatum.
April 14, 2010
A completely generic Van Damme film that tries to push him towards a romantic lead sort of feel, this one never quite gels, but there's some nice nudity from Rosanna Arquette's scrappy single mom character and lots of excuses for JCVD to lay the hammer down on faceless goons.

Fun time waster, but nothing you need to seek out.
August 9, 2007
This is one of his top 5 performances, and it's also the first movie where he really stretched himself outside of the "martial arts guy" rink. The director handles everything, from the very dramatic, a simple conversation between Rosanna Arquette and the corrupt sheriff is one of the most intense and gripping moments of the film, to the action, an early scene where a sniper rifle (maybe? I'm not too good with guns) is fired and we become the bullet is a standout, exceedingly well. He elevates the material, and gets a somewhat natural performance out of Damme, and his chemistry with Arquette is probably his best to date with any of his female leads (out of the movies I have so far seen). The cinematography is also very good, with the wide open terrain seemingly engulfing him, and truly giving him "nowhere to run".
RachelJezel
September 15, 2009
This movie has a ton of heart, so don't prejudge it. The end is actually rather emotional, and the cast performances are a pleasant surprise.
sexycat18
May 9, 2008
very good movie. the best movie i will say that is good. a must see. but it is not a movie for kids to see.
June 1, 2007
I watched the movie if my guy cousin in Belgium because we needed to choose a movie but it was weird.
FernandoTIm
January 12, 2007
Esse filme seriamelhor realizado se no fosse com o Van Damme, afinal ele tem um outro enfoque.

De qualquer modo, uma boa pedida.
outlawrahul
September 24, 2006
van damme unique in his own way..... his movies r unique.. and so was nower to run.. nice story .. action packed .. loved it..
June 8, 2006
Boy, I'm not sure who wrote this type of stuff, but barns on fire are always a sign of a good movie in my book.
August 4, 2014
The plot you'll remember: Escaped convict peeping-tom (Van Damme) breaks into single mum's (Arquette) home to steal salt - he already has a suit, tent, some steaks and a lads mag - which his recently deceased and overly thoughtful (possibly psychic) brother packed for him. Culkin and Van Damme chatting about liking boobs "sometimes" in his peado-tent in the woods. Van Damme showing his penis to the two children, and then the kids telling their mum over breakfast "Sam has a big cock!" and how she laughed. Also, Buffalo Bill's in this, a mildly-rapey cop comes good in the end, and a cow gets shot by pissed-off estate-agents.
The Critic
November 29, 2013
A departure from what we're used to seeing from a Jean-Claude Van Damme vehicle, though this still provides enough action to keep fans happy. Van Damme proves here that he's capable of stretching himself and Rosanna Arquette gives the film added clout, but the screenplay consists of too many trusted genr conventions to really make this anything special. Overall, this is pretty good but it should've been great.