93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Lost World Reviews

February 2, 2014
restored with loving care i still prefer the 1960 version of this maybe cos that's what i saw sa a kid going to the movies on a saturday afternoon.
Hayden L.
January 28, 2014
An all time classic fantasy film which is still potent today since it was released. The special effects are fantastic though not as cutting edge as today's wizardry but who cares. The make up effects are phenomenal, the ape man remains one of my personal favorites. I really love this film.
Scrat on Speed
December 18, 2013
For a silent movie that clocks in at just under 90 minutes, it's pretty effective. Much the way 'King Kong' was eight years later (and with sound), it was probably a technical marvel at the time. The stop-motion animation is pretty impressive, as is how the film is spliced together. Oh, it's true, there's a blackface character (with some very cliché dialogue), and it's not the most knock-out story by today's standards, but if you watch it as a true cinephile, you'll probably enjoy it for what it must have been like to see in theaters all those years ago.
Phil H

October 27, 2013
How many firsts can one film have? this historic movie is the first adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle's novel of the same name. It was the first dinosaur based fantasy film which inevitably led to more monster/dino movies, the spark that lit the fuse as it were. And it was the first film to show animated models as the main feature within a film, or the main special effect...welcome to the lost world.

This being the first time I have seen the film I was surprised at the fact its basically the very first King Kong film. The plot involves a team of adventures, professors and scientists (and the obligatory female) that venture deep into Venezuela to a large plateau. The reason being firstly to rescue an explorer who has been lost on the plateau and because of his journal that shows sketches of dinosaurs.

So the team set out mainly to rescue but also to try and discover lost dinosaurs and naturally try and bring one back. It wasn't until the later of the film that I realised how much of an early Kong film this was. When they manage to bring a huge Brontosaurus back to London only for it to escape and run amok destroying half of Westminster, I was quite surprised. I really didn't expect to see that, there have been so many similar films that have used this simple premise but its interesting to see the very first of the genre. A little research and you will see the man behind the effects is none other than Willis O'Brien, the man responsible for the mighty Kong and Mighty Joe Young.

But lets not beat around the Jurassic bush here, this film is all about the special effects, it was America's first summer blockbuster if you will. Hell yes it was the first big blockbuster...the film even had product placement in certain scenes, mainly in London at the end.

The film now of course is very rough and has aged badly in places, but in my opinion this actually makes the effects look much better and adds a real sense of grittiness to the proceedings. A combination of stop motion model work and matte paintings set against the scratchy, darkly lit black n white actually brings the whole thing to life and covers any nasty obvious joins that would give away the illusion. Of course the model dinosaurs are somewhat jerky and tend to move erratically at times but in general the creature movements and behavioural habits are surprisingly well created.

When the Allosaurus attacks a baby Triceratops and the parents come to its defense it does actually look quite realistic. Clearly research into the way animals do behave in these situations has been used for the dinosaurs, you half expect a real 'Godzilla-esque' cheese fest but its better than that. The only issue I had with some dinosaur sequences is they felt separate from the characters plot, they didn't really connect in any way, had you taken them out it wouldn't affect the story. Most of them are obviously in there just for the visual spectacle which is fine, you do need some dinosaurs present if you're going down this route. But we mock modern films for doing the same thing don't we hehe.

There is also some brilliant use of scale in the sets and model use. Shots of the massive cliff face they climb to reach the plateau (although I have no idea how on earth they supposedly scaled that cliff as its flippin vertical!), the tree that spanned the deep drop, the mighty cliff face they descended from their cave hideout, the dinosaur fight on another cliff edge...lots of cliffs in the film. They all help to give the film a realistic sense of depth, simple tricks to lull the audience whilst at the same time essential ingredients for adventure yarns.

You can clearly see how the film has influenced so many creature films, from the jungles sequences to the rampage in London, its all very familiar if you've seen other stop motion classics such as Harryhausen's. The later live action sequences are grand too, the amount of extras and cars that we see dashing about in the London sequences is certainly an eye opener. You can see why people in the day thought the film was genuine and it terrified them because it does look like a realistic news reel. I can imagine that various elements of this film scared people back then, this kind of thing had never been seen before. I'll bet the ape-men probably brought gasps of horror as they do look pretty fearsome even now, the black and white accentuates their looks even more.

I can't deny that I did find the plot a little tricky to follow at times. This being a silent film all you get are the odd shots of text with dialog, but at times you don't get much so you're left to guess what's going on. The ending suffers from that to be honest, it fizzles out leaving you kinda wondering what actually happened. One minute there is death and destruction, the next the lead character is kissing the female lead and they drive off into a happy ending. That along with the constant organ (?) soundtrack throughout are the only things that I didn't really like, the music can become irritating as it never really blends properly with the film, seems completely out of place.

Being a monster/creature/dinosaur fan I did enjoy this...musky, grainy, stuffy old visuals included. Its interesting to see the dated effects and the slightly hammy acting and its also interesting historically of course (white guy painted up as a black man! his dialog screen caps also being written as a black man would have spoken at that time...presumably). Its not gonna be for everyone of course and I won't lie and say its a rollercoaster ride of thrills, it can be boring at times, but I think everybody should at least see where it all began.
filmlover1994
July 15, 2013
1933's King Kong Is My Ninth Favorite Film Of All Time.
February 8, 2013
This film was quite interesting. I was impressed with the use of footage of humans and the claymation dinosaurs. However, there are many things that I need to mention. In elementary school, I was en expert in modern biology and prehistoric life. I, like everyone else, also understand basic geography. In the note of basic geography and modern biology, I noticed that the film is set in South America, yet African chimpanzees andcapuchin monkies make several appearances. I also should mention that the main characters are Brittish, but the characters occasionally use Southern American grammar. Now, the subject of preshistoric creatures, which dominate this film. The antagonist of the film is not the Tyrannosaurus Rex, as most dinosaur films they usually are. Neither is the Allosaurus, which appears the most throughout this film. Instead, a "long-neck" is the greatest villian. This Brontosaurus, (now known as an Apatosaurus) is wounded in a fight with an Allosaurus, and almost dies. Still alive, the heroes take it to London, but this "leaf eater" hostily attacks the town and swims away. The T-Rex is shown being able to use it's arms to catch prey. However, this isn't possible because it's arm's only have 2 fingers and are the size of an average man's arm. The T-Rex and Allosaurids are shown standing vertically, when they really would have stood horizontally. Knowing all of this by age 9, I found this film to be utterly hilarious being 10 years older. Without this film, there would have never been the beautiful 2005 version of King Kong. The Bronto/Apatosaurus is comparable to the great ape and his captivity in New York. I still enjoyed this historic piece of film. Possibly due to all of these excessive innacuracies. The 1925 version of "The Lost World" is a film that should never go missing from our classic monster film library.
May 23, 2013
saw this in a classic theater. i bought into this movie more than many of our modern special effects bonanzas. I think it was because all the actors, which i knew were real live human beings, showed up on the screen sort of herky-jerky every now and again and when the dinosaurs were shown I suspended my disbelief more easily. probably for film buffs only, but well worth it for those of us who love old-timey things.
May 21, 2013
As a dinosaur movie fan, I find this to be essential viewing. The stop-motion is great for it's time, and while it is a silent film, it's not hard to watch. The beginning is a little slow, but once the dinosaurs appear on screen, the film takes onto an enjoyable pace. The music is alright, although it can be very unfitting for some scenes. It might not be all-too similar with the book, but it's still a pretty great 1920's film.
March 30, 2013
A wonderful movie with special effects by Willis O'Brien. But it's silent.
January 25, 2013
one of the first monster movies
6.8/10
January 28, 2013
Influential in its ways, with a storyline that would be used time and time again for countless creature features like most notably King Kong, a film which with special effects also credited to Willis O'Brien. The romance storyline is out of place, the film is a late starter and in many ways it is indubitably outdated.
Warchief
October 28, 2012
"And I'm not here tonight to defend my statements - - but to demand that a committee be formed to go back to the Lost World with me -..."

Synopsis: Maverick scientist Prof. Challenger claims that dinosaurs still exist on a remote Brazilian plateau, and to prove his assertion he leads an expedition up the Amazon.

I find it kind of odd that silent cinema is so forgotten by so many. As more and more films being made with production budgets climbing ever closer to the stratospheric sky and as these films seam to be more and more special effects driven forgoing the complexity of character development, today's action films and big budget hollywood blockbusters more and more resemble a silent feature, albeit much much louder.

The Lost World is undeniably one of the most famous silent features. Many people have probably already seen the film as Steven Spielberg's The Lost World; Jurassic Park or less-so as King Kong with a few notable differences. it's script and characterizations are rather conventional, but the real draw here has always been and always will be it's special effects.

Ground breaking in it's day (you can almost see the genesis and spark that would later manifest itself as King Kong just a few years later), the special effects are now a quaint but incredibly charming piece of work that has instilled in me a desire to go back and give the slightly disappointing King Kong (1933) another shot.

If you are looking for a great, warm hearted adventure flick, may i recommend you take a trip into the past and give the purity of The Lost World a chance.
September 9, 2012
Insanely entertaining, but I've also never seen a movie with so many plot holes and errors. Definitely worth seeing though.
Dillon L

July 15, 2012
Really nothing more than a typical adveunture film, but very innovative special effects that would later greatly influence King Kong.
May 13, 2012
classic ahead of it's time
March 13, 2012
The Lost World, loosely based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel, is about a team of daredevils who plan an expedition to a South American plateau where dinosaurs still thrive. After dodging some terrible lizards and an aggressive neanderthal, this group captures a brontosaurus and brings it back to London. Naturally, it doesn't stay confined for very long. This silent film is very dated, but the stop-motion effects of Willis O'Brien were astonishing in 1925 and they're still quite spiffy to look at today. While quite watchable, the most notable part of The Lost World is that O'Brien later used the techniques for this film on the much more entertaining King Kong.
July 19, 2008
Everyone checks off King Kong as the grand daddy of FX films, but you have to go to the Lost World about 8 years earlier for the one that arguably started it all with Willis OBrien creating all of the dinosaur effects for this adventure expidition film where a scientist recruits several academics and a reporter to accompany him to South America to confirm the existence of the animals in "modern" South America and clear his name. Cutting edge effects for its time and one of the first if not the first use of stop motion effects and in camera trickery to achieve the creatures. You can tell a lot of the arc has been reused in Kong and Spielbergs JP2 but still holds up considering the passage of time. One of the silent era must sees.
January 13, 2012
Fantatsic stop motion effects by Willis O'Brien amaze in this faithful adaptation of the novel. Apparently Sir Arthur Conan Doyle appears as himself, but didn't spot him.
Cinema-Maniac
Cinema-Maniac

January 7, 2012
I've always been fond of silent movies ever since I saw my first Charlie Chaplin short movie as a kid. So going into The Lost World I was excited as little kid, and I was not disappointed.

So the plot resolves around a ridicule professor for claiming that Dinosaurs still roam Earth. He sets out on a dangerous expedition to bring a Dinosaur back and stopped being ridicule. Now for me, I felt the story could've been better, I mean it really has nothing interesting for the first 15 minutes. It's interesting, but it stays the same level of interests for the whole movie, so good being in my case. One scene i'm sure you'll always remember if you choose watch this movie is when the Brontosaurs is loose on the city causing havoc.

The special effect on the other hand are just magical. I couldn't believe how entertained I was to see these Dinosaurs move, I know it clearly fake, but there just something so interesting about these type of special effect. I was also actually surprise see so many different species of Dinosaurs in this movie considering the hard work it must have taken to animate these Dinosaurs. The music also is good, it doesn't always go with the scene, but you won't mind much.

I'm not sure about you, but I enjoy taking a trip to the past to explore these great movies. Like many silent movies, The Lost World is still a enjoyable movie to this, even the dated special effect adds to this movie greatness.
NightBear
October 29, 2011
Obviously not the same level of technology as we use today, yet still such a wonderful vision brought to life in such a captivating way. Definitely a classic!