• PG-13, 1 hr. 50 min.

Made in America Reviews

Phil H

March 27, 2012
Made in America (1993)

Very dated and awkward comedy with the kinda unfunny Ted Danson and annoying Whoopi Goldberg. The whole plot is pretty dumb really as Danson's character is made out to be the father of Nia Long's character after giving a sperm sample many years before, but he is white and Goldberg is black as is Long.

Its a nice comedy, very gentle and very heart warming but I don't think its too good really, at no point do you ever go with the premise that Danson could be Long's father, it just doesn't work. The mixing of a typical cliched white hick cowboy type who is a slimy car salesman with an African American woman who has a strong African background and her own African trinket store is an intriguing recipe for laughs but it doesn't really materialise.

Its all very cute and cuddly and harks back to the days of cinema when Goldberg and Danson were actually big name draws at the cinema haha remember that!? Throwaway comedy which is known for introducing a young Will Smith and Nia Long into the movies.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 2, 2009
Whoopi Gooldberg is truly a Comedian with her own skills in the Movie, she totally steals my attention in every of her Movies. Too Sad a very tiny bit part of Will Smith.
Anthony L

September 28, 2009
Painful and insulting to anyone with half a brain.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Interesting story about Ted being the sperm donor of Whoopi's child. Will's character is funny.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 22, 2007
really good, nia long was good and ted danson is always classic
Leigh R

August 25, 2006
It was okay.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

February 22, 2010
"Made in America" is an enjoyable, light-hearted tale about the ethical problems of artificial insemination, racial identity and the dilemmas it can cause. Whoopi Goldberg plays Sarah , the mother of a seventeen year old - Zora (Nia Long). Their seemingly perfect life is changed dramatically when Zora finds that she is in fact the product of an artificial insemination. Upset and curious about the whereabouts of her real father, Zora searches through the computer files for her Mother and finds that her father is in fact Hal (Ted Danson), a white guy instead of the tall, intelligent black man Sarah had particularly requested. It is a decent, heartwarming plot that handles the race aspects with an ease.
Sunil J

March 30, 2008
Watched this quite a few times on HBO as a kid and liked it.
April 3, 2012
Not terrible but not one that will be remembered. The romance between Danson and Goldberg was revolting! There were some bright moments (a young Will Smith was a bit raw but was the comedic character that kept the film moving). If not for Will Smith fans seeking out his early films I am sure Made in America would have been one of those movies that just disappear without ever being brought to DVD.
June 24, 2009
you know what's even creepier than watching ted danson and whoopi goldberg hook up on screen? knowing that they also did it post-movie.
June 4, 2009
I remember when this one was one TV all the time, it's funny enough for a watch every once in a while.
March 17, 2008
Wow, this was before Will Smith because a super duper movie star. His name was Tea Cake. Isn't that cute? Well, the thought of this movie grosses me out because Ted Danson was quoted as saying that having sex with Whoopi Goldberg was like throwing a pickle through the Grand Canyon. Ew.
margaretdmngz
February 16, 2008
i love this movie one of my favorites.whoppi is so funny and ted is just so cute and then u got will smith
christopher7xii
January 7, 2008
Interesting to watch... I guess? I think there's an elephant in there at some point, that deserves a star.
October 24, 2007
Egads, this was bad. Not the worst movie in the world by a long shot, but I'll never waste another 90 minutes on it again.
June 18, 2007
Racial comedy!! Oh the racisim is killing me inside.

Favorite part is when the little rich white ladies are conveinintly locked in Whoopi's character's store.
May 10, 2007
This is sad for me. Because the only movie I went to with my friend Brad was this one. He killed himself. This movie could have done without the nudity. It was cute though.
April 16, 2007
Will Smith is gay in his role here. No really he is homosexual. Ted Danson is diggin' on Whoopi. Yup this is a movie.
mrsthang
March 20, 2007
They couldnt have picked a better black woman or white man to play these roles... Its a great must see.....
JaszyPye
March 18, 2007
I forgot the movie characters name but this movie was really good. Whoopi decided to have a child and went to the sperm bank. She asked for a black man's sperm and never thought about it again. Nia Long went searching to find out who her real father was and stole the records that and ended up finding out that the father of her child was a cheesy carsalesman. Not only that, he was white! That stirred up quite a bit of drama for a African American Literature seller and a college bound student who found out they both had been living a lie...or had they?