20% The Identical Sep 05

—— Sullivan & Son: Season 3

Cliffhanger Reviews

Phil H

May 8, 2013
1993 was a big year for Mr Stallone, not only did this huge box office success come out but later that year we were presented with 'Demolition Man'. Oddly enough this was also the last year where Stallone's movies managed success, after 1993 his work went downhill considerably and only got back on track in 2008 with his [i]Rambo[/i] reboot/sequel.

This film could well be the first 'Die Hard on a' example to come along, 'Die Hard on a mountain'? meh maybe its just me?. The whole thing is your standard action fare really, nothing original and nothing fresh. A bunch of bad guys after lost millions on a mountain, hostages, plenty of gunfire, plenty of blood, lots of profanity and an evil caddish bad guy boss to equal Rickman's 'Hans Gruber'.

I must admit I never really liked this film as it just feels too run of the mill, accept for being based on a mountain of course (mountainous snowy terrain). I've always been in the Arnie camp personally I never really thought Stallone could match up with his efforts. I simply cannot look at this film without thinking of 'Die Hard/Die Hard 2', its such a copy, really it is, right down to Lithgow's corny British villain.

The action isn't all that impressive either really, a mixture of highly dangerous stunts which are admittedly good enough to make your palms sweat, and blatantly obvious sets. One minute the film looks sweet as a nut with some lovely location shots and real live action, the next you're looking at some crappy bluescreen effects or an obvious plastic rubbery set. Actually to be honest the film is a bit drab looking for the most part, lots of grey and white rocky terrain.

The entire cast in this film is pretty boring too, the bad guys aren't really very interesting but that's cos we don't really get to know them. All the good guys n gals are just wet and annoying, Rooker's character does so much slow motion running and screaming its hilarious, did this film start that trend?!. Only Lithgow holds things together with his hammy campness, problem there is he doesn't really look right for the part nor does he look like he could beat up Stallone, but his evilness is fun.

Can't deny the film is a blast of adrenaline with its ridiculous moments of sheer dumbness. Stallone climbing up the rockface in his t-shirt, then whilst under the frozen icy water he removes everything and goes topless! why exactly? but hey this is a stupid action thriller what do you expect. A decent flick for the Stallone camp but its complete lack of realism and easy to spot stunt doubles/bad effects are all too clear. Great film title though.
KJ P

October 1, 2010
Cliffhanger may seem like your ordinary cliched action film, but I can assure you that it is far more than just that. Sylvester Stallone actually pulls of a decent performance and the entire cast is very likeable. After the accident of losing his best friends girlfriend, Gabe (Stallone) has to live with the fact that his friend will never forgive him. Once they get caught up together again in a situation that causes the incident, they want nothing to do with each other. The action is top notch, the acting is pretty good, the visuals are decent, but the story and the execution of the plot is really what counts here, and it is done phenomenally. I must complain that the dialogue can become a little silly sometimes and the green/blue screens may be noticeable, but it is still a great action film! "Cliffhanger" is awesome!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 10, 2007
Severely underrated Stallone flick. I had only seen bits and pieces of it before on TV, where it gave me a mediocre impression. But now that I saw it in its full length, I'm really surprised to say it was a great and well-paced actioner. John Lithgow is superb as the film's chief villain, and I bet it was this performance they looked back to, when they cast him as a serial killer in Season 4 of Dexter (which, by the way, is also my favourite season thus far). A non-stop ride of thrills and excitement, which despite some minor defects in the dialogue, climbs all the way to the top with a rousing series of intrigues.
TheGame90
TheGame90

December 21, 2007
I don't understand how a movie this bad can be so good
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Featuring some excellent location shooting and cinematography, this is a thrilling, and entertaining action/adventure yarn about some mountain rescure climbers who are called in to rescue some plane crash survivors, only to discover they are really stranded criminals who need help searching for a ton of cash they had recently acquired through illegal means.

This film is just reall, a crazy B-Movie, but it's so damn entertaining and well done that it's hard not to like. It's got suspense, acton, tons of violence, it looks terrific, features wonderful scenery, and has some great music too.

This was also back when Renny Harlin was a good director of this sort of thing before he became a joke and enterted a state of failure he has yet to recover from. Like Die Hard 2 (which preceeded this film), this is Harlin doing a fantastic job of taking a simple premise, throwing in lots of thrills, getting a good cast together, and making a totally awesome piece of entertainment.

Give this one a watch. It's great.
Albert K

August 16, 2011
I remember having a lot of fun with this movie. That's what it is- a B movie.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

June 16, 2008
Generic Stallone vehicle, but well shot and with actual moments of tension. Back when CGI was used just for dinosaurs and such. Lithgow needs to play villians more often.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

April 12, 2011
Cliffhanger directed by Renny Hsrlin, who has been dubbed one of the worst directors is actually a fairly decent action film. Sure the film is cheesy, cliche and all, but it's also what it makes it fun to watch. Cliffhanger follows the usual formula established by previous Sylvester Stallone flicks. One can expect that watching Cliffhanger you won't exactly get am Oscar worthy performance out of Stallone. The performance of the film belongs to John Lithgow. Lithgow is terrific as the villain, Ertic Qualen. Cliffhanger does have good action scenes, but at times it feels a little flat. This isn't the best action film, but it definitely isn't the worst. Quite an entertaining ride, Cliffhanger is good enough entertainment for anyone looking for a mindless thrill. Cliffhanger is a fun film not to be taken seriously. I found Cliffhanger to be solid, enjoyable and fun. It's understandable that this film isn't everyone's cup of tea. But to those looking for a good action film, Cliffhanger is the one to check out. Considering that Renny Harlin made this, he delivers a good film despite the fact that the mainstream critics see him as a terrible director. Harlin has made good films throughout his career, and he is no where near as the worst film maker in cinema. Cliffhanger among other films proves this. Harlin can craft a watchable action film thats fun and thrilling for the viewer. Cliffhanger though flawed, proves to be a very enjoyable 2 hours of action packed entertainment.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

August 5, 2007
A very enjoyable action flick. It's not perfect - there are some silly uses of slow motion and some poor character moments that make the thing drag in spots, but overall, action-driven and a lot of fun.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 9, 2007
made me wanna climb the dirt pile in my backyard
Conner R

May 16, 2010
Just all kinds of cool, it's an original setting and take on the "one man army" scenario. Sylvester Stallone is a god when it comes to these types of movie premises because he's so good at making a lovable character within the first two minutes. I love the villians and their comletely ruthless nature, very often do people get so shamelessly killed off. Not since Die Hard has there been such an iconic action feel. It's just a great straight-forward, simple plot.
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
Jump!
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 19, 2008
Great action-packed Stallone movie. I swear my favorite action movies are the ones that Stallone stars in. Just an fantastic movie! :)
Jason O

August 15, 2009
Sylvester Stallone and John Lithgow star in this exciting adventure with great cinematography and special effects. Gabe Walker (Sylvester Stallone) is an experienced mountain rescue worker trying to retrieve some money that was stolen from the U.S. Treasury. To drive him to catch the thieves even more, they kidnap one of his best friends. Mr. Walker has to find a way to get the money back while also saving his friend's, and his own life.
I like just about all of Sylvester Stallone's movies, but "Cliffhanger" is one of my favorites because it has cool scenery and some of the best special effects. I thought the part where Stallone is underwater while one of the bad guys are watching him from above the frozen surface was one of the best parts. The ending sequence is also well done. John Lithgow puts on a spectacular performance as the main enemy. If you like action movies with great effects and a lot of suspense, I recommend getting "Cliffhanger." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Sylvester Stallone's easily one of my favorite action movie actors, period, and I've always considered this to be one of his very best.
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 24, 2007
Your basic mindless action flick. It was fun at first, because it had cool rock climbing in it. Once the bad guys showed up, it basically became a "how can we kills loads of bad guys" movie. Sly got his butt kicked by the black dude, which is impossible. He just takes it like a girl. Anyways, more climby less killy please.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 26, 2007
Another action hero movie from Stallone. Excellent special effects.
Cassandra M

October 28, 2008
Sly's best out and out action film. It is a superbly enjoyable movie with some interesting characters, solid performances and Renny Harlins direction is stylishly assured. Stallone is rarely this interesting in his action films and he certainly looks the part in terms of the action scenes. This was one of the best action films of the year and one of the most thrilling and enjoyable of the 90's, a definite genre classic. As a Stallone fan this is one I look back on with fond memories. Plenty of superb action and Sly in prime action man form. Action lovers appreciate this film because it has all the hallmarks that make a good aciton film. The film looks great and there is great support from Janine Turner, Michael Rooker and John Lithgow.
Stephen M

December 18, 2007
This was something of a comeback for Stallone, and it remains one of the last things he made worth seeing. Of course, on the one hand it's very silly and formulaic: one-time friends with a grudge reunite to battle a common enemy; hero, haunted with guilt, has a chance of redemption, etc, etc. It is, however, well done and highly entertaining. Most of the mountainous terrain cliches are covered (Avalanche? Check. Rope bridge scene? Check. Death by stalactite?!?!? Check.) and, if some of the sets look a little too much like sets, the pre-CGI-saturated charm is still potent.
Dan S

September 16, 2007
Surprisingly a good, corny Sly movie. Lithgow was fantastic as the bad guy, and Rooker had a lot of scene-stealing parts.
Aaron N

July 7, 2007
Travers: Tucker and Walker! We're missing 3 bags.
Gabe Walker: What's in them?
Travers: None of your fucking business!
Eric Qualen: Suits, socks, 100 million dollars - the usual stuff.

Its Die Hard, on a cliff! Stallone climbs rocks and kills the bad guys. A joy to watch when it's on tv.

You have a standard plot mixed with a heavy opening sequence, some good climbing action and a nice Renny Harlin R rated action style, all you need.

Hal Tucker: Gravity's a bitch, ain't it?