The Firm Reviews

January 20, 2008
It was okay. Way too long at 2 1/2 hours, though.
TheDudeLebowski65
July 4, 2011
I was looking forward to seeing this film, and I thought it was going to be an excellent thriller. After viewing it, I thought it was a good thriller at best. Based on John Grisham's bestseller, The Firm is a fairly entertaining thriller which mixes dramatic elements. Tom Cruise plays newcomer lawyer Mitch Mcdeere who gets hired by a firm that has ties to organized crime. Now I haven't read the book, but I thought this was a good film with plenty of twists and turns. Director Sydney Pollack keeps the film engaging to the very end, but the film is a tad too long. Tom Cruise delivers a good performance, and he stars apposite some impressive talent. Gene Hackman, Hal Holbrook and Ed Harris are all phenomenal. The Firm is not a perfect film, but it manages to still be an effective intricate thriller that delivers on screen. I've never read a Grisham novel, but I have to say after watching this film, I was impressed enough to want to check out his work. Nowadays Tom Cruise is plainly weird but at least he was able to deliver good performances (and still does, but less frequently) back in the day. The Firm is a good thriller with a great cast, but there's something that's missing from the film to truly make it a memorable film. As it stands, The Firm manages to thrill but by the climax you have to admit that it could have been done slightly better.
December 3, 2009
If there is ever one movie that showcases the hotshot version of Tom Cruise, it's The Firm. I'll admit that I never really saw a whole lot in it when I saw it for the first time, but it's really grown on me over time. Tom Cruise's performance alone should be worth anyone's time; it's extremely multi-dimensional and he seems to hit everything just right. Even for being a lawyer thriller, Tom Cruise brings his intensity on full speed and has you at the edge of your seat. This also has some great supporting performances from Gene Hackman and Holly Hunter, not to mention the intimidatingly bald Ed Harris. Now this takes John Grisham to the next level and stands as probably the best movie based on one of his books, just edging out The Client. It's an extremely effective conspiracy theory plot that has you interested for the entire time.
stevenecarrier
½ May 29, 2011
Sydney Pollack's "The Firm" is John Grisham 101. This is a crisp, clean legal thriller that hits all the proper points (murder, cat and mouse chases, trips to exotic islands, bugged phone lines, a foreign contract killer, double crosses, the FBI). The film keeps everything nice and tidy and ends on a satisfactory note. Films like "The Firm" (well made, clearheaded crowd pleasers) are easy to enjoy. "The Firm" is propelled by an involving but straightforward story and a strong performance from Tom Cruise. He is backed by a large, talented, supporting cast. Nothing about the story is all that surprising but it's handled in a way that never insults your intelligence, which says a lot.
blkbomb
May 15, 2011
I really enjoyed The Firm. Much of the criticism comes from the fact that it is overlong and boring. For me, the movie was never boring and it was fun watching the plot unfold. A great cast featuring Tom Cruise, Holly Hunter, Gene Hackman, Hal Holbrook, and Ed Harris, along with the great direction of Sydney Pollack make for a very entertaining two and a half hours.
½ September 16, 2007
A pulse-less, predictable, and rather disappointing "thriller" from writer John Grisham and director Sidney Pollack, concerning a young lawyer (Tom Cruise) fresh out of grad school who is recruited by a Memphis firm, only to learn that they might have ties to the mafia and some of the men that work there die in mysterious ways. The only thing that kept this thing from being awful was the acting, which is indeed quite good (Gene Hackman and Ed Harris are both awesome in supporting parts), the thing is you can see most of this movie coming. There are way to many characters and the screenplay seems to not care about explaining some of the finer details despite possessing a 150 minute running time. While the last half hour does contain some excitement, I could not help but feel disappointed and bored through most of this film. Pollack has done much better ("They Shoot Horses, Don't They" comes to mind).
December 21, 2008
I never finished reading the book, but that there was some differences between certain parts of the book to movie. From what I have heard the ending is different between the two. I have also heard that the ending is better in movie. I had seen this movie a million times before today, but just now bought it on DVD. The theatrical trailer 1 is very good and doesn't even show that much of the movie. My favourite parts of this movie was mainly the ending sequences which I won't go into because you need to see them for yourself. I loved right at the beginning where Tom Cruise's (Mitch McDeere's) wife gets home and as she's opening the door, the door flings open and Mitch grabs her and they go straight for the couch kissing. Then after a few seconds she says "Okay. Okay. You're going to have to leave now. I'm expecting my husband." "The hell with him" he says and shuts the door and takes her into the kitchen.

The movie is very good, amusing, and I do agree with it being a little farfetched but all a movie is supposed to be is amusing because it is all fantasy. Even stories based on true events are fantasies because they may not show exactly how certain things took place and that it is a byist story. It only shows how one person viewed something.

In any case, this movie deserves an 8 or nine out of ten.
movieguru12
May 6, 2008
Tom Cruise wows me again as a lawyer working at a law firm in this intense film!!!
thmtsang
July 14, 2007
Excellent thriller about a firm run by the mafia.
½ April 29, 2007
A cool film about a mafia run law firm.
jjnxn
April 17, 2007
coming from a talent like pollack and with gifted actors hackman and holbrook in support this should have been much better.
deano
March 15, 2007
The adaptation of John Grisham's bestselling suspense-thriller is quite okay about an ambitious young lawyer who joins a Memphis law firm and discovers that the lawyers there are even more crooked than most.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
pretty good flick
½ April 13, 2013
Based on the best-selling novel by John Grisham, The Firm is an intense thriller. A promising young lawyer named Mitch McDeere is recruited out of Harvard Law School to join an exclusive law firm in Memphis, but he soon discovers that the firm is a front to launder money for the mob. Featuring Tom Cruise, Jeane Tripplehorn, Gene Hackman, Ed Harris, and Holly Hunter, the film has an all-star cast. The storytelling's a little weak, but still manages to build some high tension moments and suspenseful scenes. However, the score is rather lackluster and doesn't bring any energy or excitement to the film. The Firm is entertaining and full of intrigue, but the mediocre filmmaking holds it back.
March 31, 2012
The Firm is a good thriller that stars a great role from Tom Cruise, but the main problem with the film was that it should've been a lot darker than it could've been and I would have personally changed some thing to make this a perfect thriller. But overall this is a good movie and definently worth a watch.
April 3, 2007
I am a huge John Grisham fan, but I never cared much for The Firm. I finally decided to watch it as part of a paper for my film class, because as the first adaptation of a Grisham novel, it was important to the paper, but I still can't explain why it was the first novel they decided to turn into a movie. The story follows a younger lawyer who is graduating at the top of his Harvard Law class. As the offers pour in, he has a tough decision to make, and finally settles on a small Nashville firm, that has made him an offer that is too good to be true. As he starts working for The Firm, Mitch McDeere (Tom Cruise) comes to realize that their only client is an organized crime syndicate and he's trapped inside. Eventually, the FBI comes to McDeere and tries to recruit him as a whistle blower, and his response is somewhat unorthodox. What I never understood about this story is why McDeere went to the lengths he did. He could have achieved the same outcome by simply complying with one side or the other. He jumps through all these hoops and does all these secretive things in order to achieve the same outcome. To me, this always made the second half of the book and film to be pretty much pointless. Tom Cruise stars and shines in the type of role that defined his early career. At this point in his career, if Tom Cruise is not starring as a dark loner or a sci-fi action hero, there isn't any point to watching his movies, but back in the early 90s he really had that special spark that has garnered him the reputation he has today. Cruise was paired with Gene Hackman, making the perfect dynamic of the old star, turning things over to the new. It was a bold move that didn't work out so well for the Indiana Jones franchise, but here it was one of the most interesting things about this film. The acting is terrific and a Grisham film is always very clever and well written, but as I said I've never been a fan of The Firm. The second half of the story just doesn't sit right with me and I'll continue to say it no matter how good the cast is.
stevetheman1236
½ August 16, 2011
Of the course the ending in the book was far better, but I can see how the ending in the movie had to work for times sake. Otherwise, it was an above-average thriller.
November 22, 2014
I've always been perplexed by the legal thriller craze of the 90s . . . what about the genre was so appealing to appealing to mass audiences? The endless law jargon? The predictable twists and turns? Regardless, "The Firm" is a prime example of everything that made so many of these films ultimately forgettable.
September 13, 2011
What starts out as a seemingly simple rags to riches story abruptly transforms into a disturbing and cleverly concealed look into law and those that are using if for personal gain against those striving for justice. Tom Cruise gives a good performance as a newly hired lawyer who ends up being snatched up by a southern firm who offer him 20% more than the highest offer as well as several other perks in order to gain his services. Things seem to be too good and of course they are as little by little Mitch (Cruise) comes to find out that this firm won't let anyone out of it (they literally kill them) as the family uses illegal mob money to fund a legitimate business firm that also handles mob money. The F.B.I gets involved and only complicates matters and it's up to Mitch and his smarts to find a way to not only survive but not lose everything he has worked thus far in life to achieve. This is a great and highly entertaining drama that really fleshes it's characters out and creates a deeply rich and rewarding film.
xxdebxx
October 6, 2010
Based on a John Grisham novel about a young, ambitious Harvard graduate (Tom Cruise) being accepted into lucrative law firm. They give him a BMW, a new home for himself and his gorgeous wife (Jeanne Tripplehorne), and a nice paycheck, all in return for Mitch taking a spot at their firm, which he does eagerly. But soon, Mitch suspects something more than meets the eye is going on. Gene Hackman is the corrupt attorney, Ed Harris, the hard-headed cop and Gary Busey as the tough ex-con/private eye who pays the ultimate price for asking questions about dead lawyers.
The beginning started out good and looked like it had a lot of potential. However, the ending is where this movie seems to lose its appeal.