Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves Reviews

October 1, 2009
Well, it's a bit corny, that's for sure, way overblown and it's one of those pictures that has so much technicolor that it is actually irritating. But in an odd sort of campy way, it's rather endearing and likable. Fun to watch.
February 16, 2015
A MOST FANTASTIC ADVENTURE, A LOVE THAT LASTED, A STORY OF WHAT ONE MAN CAN DO TO ASSIST IN THE FREEDOM OF HIS PEOPLE
September 4, 2012
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves directed by Arthur Lubin. Starring Jon Hill, Maria Montez. A young boy (prince) is brought up (adult Jon Hill) by forty thieves of Baghdad after Mongols kill his father and takeover the kingdom. Film's plot is derived from the famous book called 'The Book of One Thousand and One Nights'.

For its time, we may ignore expensive work to have been done on its production, but just to quench our thirst for speedy entertainment, this does prove to be pretty good stuff. My only concern is that it's completely technicolor. Montez occupies screen with her exotic beauty, and Jon Hill with his masculinity. You don't have to rely on this but it's irresistible, if you're victim of nostalgic stories.
January 3, 2012
Now we'll never be apart

Ali Baba is the son of the King of Baghdad; unfortunately, his father is filled by Ghangis Khan. Ali escapes the invasion and is discovered by a gang of forty thieves. They raise him and allow him to lead them against the forces of Ghangis Khan. During his battles with the world conqueror, he crosses paths with a girl from his childhood that he hopes he can save and live happily ever after.

"Someday I will buy you to be my very own."

Arthur Lubin, director of The Thief of Baghdad, Lady Godiva of Coventry, Escapade in Japan, White Savage, and Queen for a Day, delivers Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. The storyline for this picture is interesting, well paced, and well delivered. The characters are entertaining and are presented in interesting settings and situations. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Jon Hall, Maria Montez, Turhan Bey, and Andy Devine.

"Who are you?"
"I'm the sword hanging over your head."

My wife found this picture on Amazon prime and decided to give it a shot since we're fans of similar pictures from this era (Hercules, Sinbad, and Clash of the Titans). This movie was very fun and I thoroughly enjoyed the love story subplot. The acting was solid and the story was definitely worthwhile. I recommend giving this film a shot if you're a fan of the genre.

"I join no band of thieves but I'll lead you against Mongols."

Grade: B