33% As Above/So Below Aug 29

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Equinox Reviews

Christopher B

January 25, 2008
I have a great history with this film. I remember it played one weekend afternoon when I was a kid and on Monday my friends and I couldn't stop talking about it. It had all these monsters and fantastic effects and managed to be fun and scare the crap out of us at the same time.
Then came the day that I heard it influenced my favourite film, The Evil Dead. I thought it might have been that film with all the stop motion effects I remembered so fondly from my youth, but I think that had been called Equinox, not The Beast. Well, it was Equinox and I watched it again, both with nostalgia, and since I had forgotten so much of it (except the ending which had haunted me and my friends so much as kids) it was like seeing it for the first time again.
And then, as a full grown adult, the craziest thing of all happened, effin' Criterion released a double disc version of it! Criterion! If ever a movie deserved a double disc edition, sure I would say this one, but most people would (and did) scoff at the idea of this getting the deluxe treatment. Well, despite their whining, God must love me a whole bunch for this DVD. Now when I have kids I can't wait for them to feel the joy and scares of this wonderful little film (though I may skip ahead the sheriff molestation scene though I love that close up). Also, this is an odd instance I like the producers cut better than the filmmakers cut, but that's understandable since it was made by a bunch of kids. Highly recommended.
Bigpapadon007
August 28, 2007
Not bad for a movie made on a 6,500 budget but i dont think it was meant to be a comedy. I had a good laugh during this one and it seems like a likely inspiration to the Evil Dead films. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone but still I'd say its worth watching once. I couldn't wait for the short chubby blonde girl to get killed, she was the most annoying character i've seen in a film so far.
July 8, 2007
Greg said that this was one of the best movies ever. It's okay. It's really hokey and kinda sports some interesting stop-motion effects, but not an amazing movie by any means.
June 16, 2007
SO awful that it's entertaining. The monsters are pretty amazing for the time, and the budget of the film.
andre28
September 13, 2006
Spooky, fun and naive film that inspired countless horror filmmakers. Features great stop-motion animation that surpasses any CGI crap of today.
June 5, 2012
For this sort of film to resonate, the inner mood of the characters must be reflected, but with Modine's flat performances, the main character remains frustratingly opaque.