Gypsy

1 minutes 27 seconds
    Added: May 9, 2008

Gypsy Reviews

Lizzy D ½ June 15, 2013
Bette Midler puts on an amazing performance in this classic story of rags to burlesque.
Greg C December 21, 2011
I have to say, I was quite impressed with this entire performance. Cynthia Gibb gave a great performance as Gypsy, you just felt her pain from neglect of the spotlight. (I couldn't help but see Natalie in her.) Peter Riegert did what he does best which is acting, his singing was only "actor-worthy". But hands down, the performance given by Bette was phenominal, clearly showing her talents as a 'belter'.

While I have never seen the Merman production, this production does not live up to the 1962 film with Rosalind Russell.
Luke G November 27, 2011
Rotten Tomatoes, you got this dead wrong. Gypsy is a magnificent piece of art that I will remember as, "The film with Bette Midler as the crazy mother!" This fantastic film features Midler as Mama Rose whose star daughter (An amazing performance by Jennifer Rae Beck in three scenes) quits show business and her other daughter (A mesmerizing Cynthia Gibb) becomes a high paid stripper. Midler's magnificent performance earned her a golden globe. A fun musical for the family with a ton of songs that will give you chills and stay in your head for days. FANTASTIC!
Angela C November 26, 2011
Really enjoyed this film.
Hannah M ½ August 10, 2011
I'm always a little surprised by how lackluster a show Gypsy somehow ends up being. It's long and meandering and you really need someone with incredible charisma to carry the Mama Rose role. Bette Midler is passable, but nothing special. (Though neither was Rosalind Russell in the original.) She doesn't particularly shine in any of the musical numbers, and neither do any of her co-stars. Cynthia Gibb is probably the best of the cast, playing an awkward girl who suddenly discovers she has talent she never knew about. I enjoyed bits of the movie but not enough to make it worth recommending.
barbarawalker656 barbarawalker656 ½ September 23, 2009
Midler and Wood were amazing in this movie
peacefulsk8r peacefulsk8r August 4, 2009
Love Bette Midler in this one- she is the perfect stage mom! Her performance of "Everything's Coming Up Roses" is one of the best in my opinion.
Tara S April 2, 2009
Much better than the original Midler was clearly born for the part of Mama Rose and gives everything she has to the role. Everyone else is also good and the song and dance numbers are polished.
rainbowspromise2 rainbowspromise2 ½ February 10, 2007
Natalie Wood. One of the classics.
Paul B October 26, 2006
This is so much better than the 1962 original. Even though the length of the film is the same, this version seems slicker and better paced.
Elizabeth W ½ October 25, 2006
I still like the older one better, but I LOVE Peter Riegert. He was PERFECT in his roll. man... he should be in more movies.
SaintFrancisofAssisi SaintFrancisofAssisi June 7, 2008
Absolutely not interested
goodmorningangels1 goodmorningangels1 ½ June 3, 2008
One of my fave musicals, as well as one of my fave Bette movies!
hunydu hunydu ½ January 18, 2008
not as good as the orignal
darklady77 darklady77 January 8, 2008
Here she is boys!!

Here's Rose!!

Curtains up!! Light the lights!!

Again...Love it!
jeannetanzy2006 jeannetanzy2006 ½ December 16, 2007
Jeanne Tanzy was in the original cast with Ethel Merman in 1961
Christina S ½ December 9, 2007
amazing! the fact that Bette did her singing while filming is amazing too!
joyndick joyndick December 6, 2007
Terrific - Bette Midler is one of the best.
hethinksmykubotssexy hethinksmykubotssexy ½ November 25, 2007
I saw this in New York on broadway...
Sherry .