Strictly Ballroom Reviews

MeetMeinMontauk
½ April 14, 2010
"Vivir con miedo es como vivir en medias."
I thoroughly enjoyed this film!! It was bright! It was jazzy! It was fun! It was unique! And above all.... AUSTRALIAN! Baz Luhrmann will never cease to visually dazzle me. Gorgeous and sweet!
FilmFanatik
December 24, 2007
Pretty enjoyable romantic dance movie, before it became a craze.
October 21, 2008
A weird assortment of motley characters who don't really have a purpose in the story other than to be weird. I liked the dancing, and Baz Luhrmann's...don't know how to describe it, Japanese game show...? visuals were to say in the least, original. But, it's not much of a story, and I don't think it ever is with Luhrmann actually (Moulin Rouge = courtesan dies, Romeo and Juliet = they both die, this one = nobody dies but they hook up, which is good), and it's sort of funny sometimes but I guess I don't really GET Australian humor so I don't know. On the fence with this one. Paul Mercurio is super sexy, nevertheless.
June 27, 2008
More screwball comedy than the rest of the Red Curtain Trilogy and I dig that.
mwilliams078
April 20, 2008
Strictly Ballroom is a gem of a import. This film from Australia has a great cast and soundtrack. I went to see this at the theatres when it was released in the states and loved it. Tara Morica and Paul Mercurio shine in this film that has a strong ensemble.

This film takes place in a dance school where a dance champion is left without a dancer due to his unconvential style...can he find the right partner with the demure friend...you will have to watch to find out.
March 14, 2008
This is a great little film to kick-start Baz Luhrmann's red curtain trilogy (which also includes William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge, two more outstanding movies).

This film is a visual triumph, particularly in the makeup and costume department, and turns the usual, predictable and pedestrian "Rocky-plot" into a truly engrossing, magical and inspiring film. Great characterization and strong acting, but nothing really shines too brightly: every aspect of the film is done fairly well, making you suspend your disbelief in the way only Luhrmann can make you do so. A beautiful little movie that really should be seen - and it should be noted that I HATE movies about dancing... if you only watch one ever, this classic makes it clear that it had better not be Step Up...
garyX
March 25, 2007
Saturday Night Fever played for laughs. Not my cup of tea, but it's the kind of quirky, self deprecating comedy the australians are very good at.
deano
½ February 3, 2007
This is the happiest and funniest in the ballroom dancing contest I ever saw. Paul Mercurio is incredible and more impressive in his dance sequences.
October 30, 2006
The best film done in a very long time.... a must-see on everyone's list.
½ November 29, 2006
11/29/06: Of course it's cliché, but that's the point. Strictly Ballroom is a very sweet, charming, beautiful movie that is ultimately quite touching. I found it very refreshing to see a cast of competent actors who I had never before set eyes upon. The dance scenes were so much fun.
July 31, 2010
So this is what Baz Luhrmann did for practice before he came up with Romeo & Juliet and Moulin Rouge! If you've seen both, many elements of the film will seem oddly familiar, a reason for me be slightly bored at first. But in the end, it turned out to be entertaining, heartwarming and sheer good fun. If I'd seen it in 1992, I would probably also have considered it original.
mingsysar
½ August 15, 2006
Baz Luhrrman gearing up for Moulin Rouge! with this Australian Dirty Dancing, but it is so much more than that.
½ June 24, 2007
Luhrmann directs a another good romance. It's funny and I enjoyied it very much.
May 23, 2008
One of my favorites from director Baz Lahrmann. Very entertaining, with a wonderful story. I loved it.
iLeo
January 31, 2008
Great movie!
May 23, 2007
Passionate and true to the heart. this movie made me fall in love with Baz Luhrmann's directing. not the best of his films, but definetly a good one done in the exaggerated and creative style I have come to know and love from him.
FanGirl
June 21, 2006
I have probably watched this movie a thousand times and would be happy to watch it a thousand more. One of my all time favorites.
May 24, 2012
Strictly entertaining! The story was really well written. The characters were likable. The directing style is playful and very in your face. The main issue I had with this film was the sound and under use of side characters. The dialogue comes off like it was dubbed over the sound effects were poor. This is a film worthy of a remake or a sequel. Strictly Fantastic Film despite the few short comings.
December 19, 2011
my boss kept telling me to watch this so i reluctantly did. i generally dislike musical/dance related stuff like this. it makes me squirm. this movie is, in many ways, no exception. there are many self-conscious cliches in play and several "dirty dancing" like montages that are gag-inducing. however, the wildly colorful visual style, energetic direction, and sense of campy fun are so over the top it's kinda hard not to be amused. if you haven't, just watch it. maybe with your mom on xmas. she'll love it.
½ October 29, 2010
Strictly boring. Did precede this godforsaken American obsession with ballroom dancing (particularly by "celebrities") by a clean decade+ though, for what that's worth.