• PG, 1 hr. 38 min.

—— Sullivan & Son: Season 3

Cool Runnings Reviews

John M

May 11, 2008
John Candy always makes me laugh even in this Disney flick.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 9, 2011
Cool Runnings is a very good comedy about a Jamaican Bob Sled team. This is a well made comedy with lots of laughs, a decent cast, and of course the brilliance of John Candy. There are plenty of good things to enjoy about this film, and it surprised me quite a bit. Cool Runnings is lots of fun, and is one of the better underdog comedies out there. The film is not perfect, however it's very entertaining. The film has a good cast, and has a very original idea for its plot. The film funny, and the cast do a good job at delivering the laughs. John Candy one of his last performances here, as this was one of three final films he starred in before he died. Candy as usual shines here, and delivers a good performance. This is a very good comedy that is simply lots of fun. The performances are good, the story is interesting and the laughs are plentiful. I enjoyed this film more that your regular sports comedy, and at times Cool Runnings manages to be better than most sports comedies. This film is a classic of sports comedies, and should get more recognition. This is a good film to watch with friends, and you're guaranteed plenty of laughs. John Candy is great here, and his performance alone makes this film worth seeing. Cool Runnings is a childhood favorite of mine, and is a film worth seeing. The films plot may seem a tad ridiculous, but it's totally worth watching. A fun filled comedy that will make you laugh.
Adam K

September 3, 2011
"Cool Runnings" is a film that shouldn't be good, but is. It isn't a masterpiece, it doesn't excel in any particular technique of filmmaking, nor is the acting the greatest, or the directing impossible to repeat. Yet, it is a film that makes you feel, in many different ways.

Telling the story of the first Jamaican bobsled team, and starring John Candy, Leon, Doug E.Doug and others, the film delivers a compelling, emotional, story that inspires at the same time.

As I said earlier, technical aspects or acting/directing aspects, aren't the best. They don't make the film what it is. What makes the film is the brilliant, and also true, story behind it.

The underdogs, a Jamaican bobsled team, it all seems ridiculous. You hate the characters at the beginning, they managed to irritate me in many different ways, but by the end, you have made friends and you're rooting more than any of the crowds that probably did watch the event live.

A family favourite, it can cheer you up no matter what, as you find your hairs standing on end and a tear forming in your eye by the end of this little, un-important, yet great film.

***' 3 & A Half Star
Lucas M

July 22, 2011
Entertaning, funny and inspirational, Cool Runnings, bring a good cast and screenplay. Probably the best work of Jon Turteltaub. Fresh.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

October 20, 2010
I remember watching this on a bus to a field trip. I don't remember much, but I think I liked it.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
Based on the true story of the 1988 Jamaican bob-sled team, this comical American-come-Jamaican film is quite the 90?s classic. Love the Jamaican input here, but found the stereotypical Hollywood presence in the slightly corny ending.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
Sanka Coffie: Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, its bobsled time! COOL RUNNINGS!

In the spirit of the Olympic games, I'll review one of my favorite sports movies. Every time I watch it I have myself a good time. It's funny, has a nice sports story to tell, and John Candy.

I'm not a big fan of sports movies. The only ones I like are the ones that offer something different than the standard mold. Besides what I mentioned above, this movie manages both to be a Disney comedy and one with good development and resolution to its story. There may be other movies that have handled this premise better, but to me, this just has the appeal that keeps me always enjoying it.

The story involves a group of guys from Jamaica who have lost their chance to compete in the summer Olympics as sprinters. Their solution is to recruit a former bobsled coach, played by John Candy, living on the island to coach them into being the first Jamaican bobsled team. The coach, Irv Blitzer, was once a great man, who believed that sprinters would make great bobsledders, but never got a chance to prove this point after being caught cheating decades prior. Now he has a second chance to help these Jamaicans make a name for themselves and their country.

Irv: Oh, yeah, just one little drawback to this delightful winter sport. The high-speed crash. Ooh! That hurt. Always remember, your bones will not break in a bobsled. No, no, no. They shatter.

After a montage of them getting better in practice runs, the team heads to Canada to compete. There they are given a hard time due to the Blitzer's past and the other countries mockery of Jamaica. Of course the film goes on to show them becoming more respected and growing together as a team.

This is the kind of movie that follows all conventions for the most part, but the chemistry between the lead characters, complete with development between the individuals and how they bond, as well as the comeback story for Candy's character turn this into a solid film. Sure, it is a PG Disney film, but its presented in a confident manner that lets it earn its few dramatic beats, despite the fact that it is a comedy.

Its funny, memorable, and well made. Always a delight to watch.

Sanka Coffie: I'm the driver.
Irv: You're not. You're the brakeman.
Sanka Coffie: You don't understand, I am Sanka Coffie, I am the best pushcart driver in all of Jamaica! I must drive! Do you dig where I'm coming from?
Irv: Yeah, I dig where you're coming from.
Sanka Coffie: Good.
Irv: Now dig where I'm coming from. I'm coming from two gold medals. I'm coming from nine world records in both the two- and four-man events. I'm coming from ten years of intense competition with the best athletes in the world.
Sanka Coffie: That's a hell of a place to be coming from!
KJ P

January 29, 2010
Hilarious! A story has never been more clever than this bobsled group of idiots!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

November 29, 2009
OUTSTANDING!
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
Not a great film, shame it was Candy?s last!
Jason O

August 15, 2009
I always wanted to see "Cool Runnings" since I first saw the previews on tv. I finally got to see it after a few years while I was in Texas with my family and it was even better than I thought it was gonna be. Since John Candy is in it, I thought it was gonna be just another great comedy. But I was wrong, parts of it are funny, but it's more of a great drama movie.
Three Jamaicans who are dying to get to the '88 Olympics run track and are on their way to the Olympics for sure until all three of them trip. They decide to start a new trend in Jamaican history by trying to become the first Jamaican bobsled team to get to the Olympics. But on their way, they find out that all the runnings aren't cool. The other teams such as East Germany laugh at them because they don't have a top notch bobsled and because they don't think they belong in the Olympics. John Candy is a 2-time Gold winner of the Olympic bobsled team of about twenty years ago and he must coach the crew of four Olympic hopefuls in order for them to have a chance to qualify for the '88 Olympics.

"Cool Runnings" is a great story that is based on real facts of the '88 Olympic Jamaican team. This is one movie I recommend everybody to watch any day of the year. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. John Candy's always been one of my favorite comedy actors. Of all of them why'd he have to die?
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
Turtletaub, the master of cheese
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 2, 2008
So memorable, hard not to like.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
It was good to see Candy.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 11, 2007
excellent movie, john candy is great
Dean L

July 18, 2007
I love John Candy, but...
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 7, 2007
Great film based on true story.
Dan S

June 24, 2007
Funny.
Dean !

June 20, 2007
A great feel good comedy loosely based on a true story. One of John Candy's best films.
Lafe F

June 16, 2007
A lively and fun story about the Jamaican bobsled team's humble beginnings to their final triumph at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympic Games. It's a lot of good natured fun with John Candy as their coach. It's a formulaic feel-good comedy suitable for most anybody. Shot in my city!