The Three Musketeers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Three Musketeers Reviews

September 17, 2015
To me this is an underrated early '90s gem. Yes it's PG which limits it's violence but you've got to appreciate the cast of Sheen, Oliver Platt, Kiefer, and especially Tim Curry as the evil Cardinal Richeliu. I was never a big Chris O'Donnell fan (Scent of a Woman notwithstanding), but even his goofy ass is tolerable here. Lose a star for the Bryan Adams theme song but Rebecca De Mornay balances that out. Good stuff here people if you haven't seen this movie in awhile.
August 5, 2015
I can't separate my nostalgic feelings for this film from its actual cinematic value. I was 10 years old when this was released and Chris O'Donnell is the first person I remember fangirling over. The moment I saw him I was besotted. So between him, Oliver Platt's incredibly charming delivery, Kiefer and Charlie at their broodiest (by Disney standards) and Tim Curry as snarlingly corrupt Cardinal Richelieu, it's difficult to watch this with any sort of un-biased eye. And don't get me started on the Sting, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams triple-threat theme song
May 23, 2015
Just from the title alone, one knows it is a light comedy farce where the main characters will never get hurt, even if shot right in the face. People who goes for this genre usually just wants to kill 90 minutes and stop thinking too much. This movie certainly serves it purpose. Never in the film's history is there an actor who shows so much reluctance as Charlie Sheen. His enthusiasm is as lively as a fossil.
½ May 14, 2015
Las películas de aventuras y acción noventeras no siempre eran tan geniales como nos gustaría recordad. De hecho algunas no lo fueron ni en el momento y este es el caso de estos Tres Mosqueteros.

Con un reparto estelar para la época, la cinta se va "cagando" literalmente en la obra original con unas interpretaciones que dan vergüenza ajena y un guión que es un despropósito.

Súmale además una realización bastante pobre, salvo quizás en lo que a diseño de producción y vestuario se refiere...

...y sin embargo es una de esta películas que puedes ver para pasar el rato sin tener que avergonzarte demasiado.

Eso sí, antes que esta, un millón de veces la Robin Hood de Kevin Costner.
April 13, 2015
Yes that's actually the abbreviation for the country of Austria you see above there, this movie was a collaboration between the US and Austria curiously enough. This was an extremely loose adaptation of the famous Dumas novel which has of course been adapted many many times now. In fact the reason this was so loose was mainly because it was following hot on the heels of the successful Kevin Costner movie 'Robin Hood Prince of Thieves'. It was (I believe) Disney's first rock n roll historical family flick with a made to measure hit rock song as the main theme to really lure in the young teenyboppers...and women.

Everything about this production was a big pre-planned, hopeful franchise and merchandise spewing machine, that might not sound too surprising these days but back in the early 90's it was. Movies weren't really handled like that back then, like they are now, but the wham-bam in your face, rock n roll, romance rollercoaster with Costner changed everything. Sure using rock tunage and not being historically accurate in movies wasn't new but somehow, with that mullet, and that American accent, Costner turned this concept into a near-guaranteed massive money spinner. Disney saw the chance and jumped on-board with this French period adventure, and what better way to top Costner than using the old brat pack of the 80's...well two of them.

Yep its errr...the young guns using swords and riding horses...again! Sheen and Sutherland team up with Oliver Platt who magically fits into this team beautifully. Along for the ride is the fresh faced Chris O'Donnell as D'Artagnan who actually does pretty well considering he's a pretty hokey actor truth be told. The entire movie hinges on the cast naturally, more so the main trio of Musketeers who, we the audience, have to like for this to take flight. Luckily the casting of Sutherland and Platt is inspired as they both are charming and highly likable in their roles, especially the chunky Platt. Sheen on the other hand doesn't quite fit the bill here and I'm not so sure how he got the call for this movie. Obviously reuniting of ye olde brat pack again...duh! maybe they wanted to get Emilio too? I can see what Disney wanted to do here and I applaud the effort, for it is a sweet idea, but Sheen just doesn't fit into 17th century France too well.

It really is so very obvious that Disney wanted to copy the success of 'Prince of Thieves', look at the bad guys. Good old Tim Curry chews up the scenery perfectly with his big eyes, red flowing attire and devilish goatee doing his best to try and beat Alan Rickman's dastardly Sheriff of Nottingham. But not only that, Disney really takes the biscuit by actually reusing the same actor for the main henchman role. Yes Michael Wincott played Guy of Gisborne in 'Prince of Thieves' and here he plays the main henchman Rochefort! Holy du pain Disney! at least try not to make it so clearly evident sheesh!

Never the less despite the blatant idea stealing the movie does look really good with decent production values all the way through. The scenery is stunning throughout with various locations used in the UK and Europe, the sets are amazingly lavish, highly detailed and very authentic looking, costumes look period perfect and again very authentic and weaponry, armour, horses etc...all look spot on. The movie does show how good Disney are at creating worlds, they don't skimp at all and it shows. They might be fast and loose with the facts and original source material but at least it always looks terrific and extremely atmospheric, so big kudos there.

As for the action, set pieces and generally 17th century hijinks...well its solid, its exciting for sure...but of course its dumb. Just like the Costner adventure and Disney's later Pirates of the Caribbean flicks the action can get a little out of hand which does spoil the atmos at times. I believe director Herek has clearly tried to copy (or maybe homage) the old Lester Musketeer movies (1973, 74 and 89) with plenty of sword fighting slapstick and stunt tomfoolery. Its not quite as goofy but you do have the obligatory bounding around, jumping off things, dueling on top of things...usually high places, dodging cannon fire, knocking people over with things, knocking people off horses with things, drunken jollifications and generally swinging around from objects. Its not horribly violent of course, no blood, no gore, but bad guys do get killed, you just don't see it or they edit away from the kill. Its that acceptable level of comicbook violence you'd expect from Disney and it works for the movie.

Alas the movie does lose impetus because they have played with the story a bit, changed some things, left stuff out and messed up here and there. One such minor but silly mistake I noticed was at the start when all the Musketeers resign their posts as Musketeers, they then proceed to burn their blue tunics. Then at the end of the movie as the Musketeers are summoned to fight they all somehow have their blue tunics back...but they burnt them, did they make new ones just in case they got their jobs back. Another glaring question mark was the fate of Cardinal Richelieu (Curry). The main trio of Musketeers rescue the King from the Cardinals boat, the Cardinal gets punched in the face, falls overboard, and...? That's the last we see of him, no clue if he drowned, went to jail, got executed, got away...nothing.

I'm sure by now you get the angle this movie is aiming for, the other movie examples clear that up. The whole entity is more of a fast food, factory assemble line product than an actual proper movie. The director and Disney clearly wanting to sell the romance, good looking boys n girls and light-hearted action rather than tell a proper solid story. End of the day...we all knew that, you could see it, you could smell it a mile off when it came out and you can still tell today. To that end it does at least do what it says on the tin, it offers fun thrills, heroes and villains and a good old fashioned sense of adventure which everyone can enjoy. It still can't beat the Richard Lester movies though, they were flippin' epic!
June 29, 2013
Light-hearted and fun. The performances are superb. The dialog is crisp and witty. Should be a staple on the shelf of ANYone who is looking for a darn good time watching movies!
February 8, 2015
I loved this movie growing up and still do. Fun, adventure, and action. The characters are decent and all three musketeers have their great lines (Sutherland even practices his Jack Bauer yell, complete with gun, at point).
While certainly not the greatest film of all time, still a classic that is still fun to watch 20 years later.
½ January 29, 2015
The cast all seem to be in different films, but then again so does the director. Full review later.
January 11, 2015
Watching this in the cinema as an 11 year old boy was a formative experience for me. The romance and chivalry of the musketeer era really appealed to me and inspired my imagination. I watched in again the other day and felt compelled to write up a review. For what it is, its brilliant. Its like a McDonald's cheeseburger: not the most sophisticated foodstuff by any stretch, but its easy and satisfying and enjoyable to consume, and brings back happy childhood memories to mind.

Tim Curry as Cardinal Richelieu is absolutely superb. Every single line he utters is dripping in exaggerated cartoonish villainy. He also spends a lot of time lurking in darkness and creepin on the Queen, he's just great, a character you literally love to loathe and its fantastic.

Unfortunately Chris O'Donnell as D'Artagnon is a bad as Tim Curry is good. Hammy, wooden, completely unbelievable in the role, his performance in this film shows why he was never good enough to go on to accomplish much in his movie career.

The three Musketeers themselves though, are just incredible. They are so good. Oliver Platt as Porthos is clearly having the time of his life in this role, and you can see it. His joy is infectious and everything he touches turns to comedy gold. Charlie Sheen as Aramis, the roguish battle-cleric with a heart of gold, is a touch of class too. And Kiefer Sutherland as the introspective noble tortured by a past love is excellent as well. Rebecca DeMornay is hauntingly brilliant as the said past love, Lady de Winter.

All in all its a rousing and raucous film, one which everyone will enjoy, and especially fans of the book, even though the plot is simplified to the erase all the subtlety and nuance from the book to make it all black and white, its still fun for what it is.
September 3, 2014
Chris O'Donnell and Kiefer Sutherland deliver some fine performances, but The Three Musketeers falls subject to dated dialogue and a weak screenplay.
August 13, 2014
A fun but slightly stupid movie
February 23, 2010
(First and only viewing - 9/28/2010)
July 4, 2008
Good songs (Sting). For some aspects, it is only a 2.5 stars movie, but it seems that modern movies push this one up to the quintaessencial movie about first chapter of this story.
April 21, 2014
Maybe not the most accurate or layered adaptation of Dumas' tale, Disney's 90s version still offers a decent swashbuckler. A charismatic cast, special points towards the great Wincott as Rochefort, alongside some nifty sword fights, and a playful score by Michael Kamen do help.
April 6, 2009
Creativity is good. Got nice humour as well. Enjoyable movie.
February 3, 2014
This blast from the past was a favourite and truly one of the best cast versions there is.
December 25, 2013
Alexandre Dumas for a younger generation who are perhaps too time-conscious to sit with his paperweight novel. There's enough fun here to carry the film through, though it would've benefited from a snappier pace.
October 3, 2013
This movie is without a doubt equal in caliber to me as "The Princess Bride" because of the use of fantastic swordwork, SETS YES REAL PHYSICAL SETS AND NOT A GREEN SCREEN and the story that develops over the course of the movie. The cast fits with O'Donnel a convincingly young and stupid D'Artagnan and the remaining Musketeers filled by the like of some very funny and serious actors in Platt, Sheen and Sutherland. Tim Curry is deliciously evil and Roshwart's voice terrifies me with its grittiness. There are a few too many coincidences in the movie at times but this just adds to the overall feel to me.
September 24, 2013
A very poor disney effort. Not really worth watching.
½ December 29, 2012
A guilty pleasure. I've never enjoyed Chris O'Donnell as an actor, but I enjoyed the Musketeers themselves and Tim Curry is always fun to watch.