Shadowlands Reviews

½ June 19, 2007
A moving and different look at the life of C.S. Lewis.
February 11, 2015
Hands down, my favorite movie of all time. Great storyline, good history, good character, good thoughts, wonderful writing, I was with it from beginning to end.
½ December 30, 2014
The film is very very slow moving but all the performances especially Hopkins and young Mazzello are true and fantastic! A great journey of love and what truly makes us happy.
½ December 28, 2014
Love stories don't get better than that. Anthony Hopkins and Debra winger are amazing and they make alive the beautiful love story between cs.Lewis and joy Gresham..Richard Attenborough realization is great at capturing and conveying the beauty of this love story and presenting it to us perfectly.Without any exaggerated cheesiness and tricks love story films most of the time relied on. Shadowlands is probably one of the 10 best love story of the 90's.
October 4, 2014
This film has everything, a very beautiful and moving script by William Nicholson, brilliant direction by Lord Richard Attenborough and absolutely spectacular performances by both Debra Winger and Sir Anthony Hopkins.
September 13, 2014
I have been trying to find this movie to rent or buy. I was enthralled by it when it came our years ago. Hopkins and Winger are a wonderful match in this sweet, sad romance.
March 17, 2014
Hopkins gives us a wonderful portrait of a believer who is forced to confront his faith when a partner becomes terminally ill.
December 25, 2013
not as good as the PBS story which is more accurate about Lewis' life
½ October 14, 2013
Loved this movie. It had me in tears. I had to focus on Sir Hopkins, expecting to turn into Hannibal Lecter at any moment...but after several minutes, I sort of forgot about Lecter. Debra Winger is awesome in this movie.
½ August 26, 2012
It's impossible to find on dvd, but the impression it left was decidedly favourable. It doesn't hurt that it's about my favourite author.
July 6, 2013
One of the best films ever with Anthony Hopkins. Exceptional acting and dialogue throughout this film. LOVE this movie. My all time favorite.
½ April 1, 2011
Fabulous! One of those movies that gets under your skin while not being afraid to challenge thoughts and feelings about life, love and death - loved the fact that it featured some of my favourite C S Lewis quotes (and Anthony Hopkins gave a stella performance! As a Christian myself I was deeply touched by this movie and found my faith strengthened - better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all? A question we all have to answer for ourselves as did C S Lewis- Nothing not to like - highly recommended :)
February 7, 2011
Writer CS Lewis (Anthony Hopkins) has his predicatable life interrupted by an unexpected friendship with American writer Joy Gresham (Debra Winger) that blooms into a powerful love. Terrific acting and a memorable examination of the ways grief and sorrow are linked to happiness.
April 25, 2013
"Why love if losing hurt so much. I have no answers anymore, only the life I have lived. The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal."

Shadowlands deploys a deep magic. The magic at the heart of love. Shadowlands employes power through, Anthony Hopkins preformance, the amazing and biting script, and the dark shadows of love.

"Why love if losing hurt so much. I have no answers anymore, only the life I have lived. Twice in that life I've been given the choice. As a boy and as a man. The boy choose safety, the man chooses suffering.The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal."
½ February 7, 2013
Slow moving tear-jerker, but still good.
June 9, 2012
An incredibly powerful film about true love.
November 26, 2012
A touching and moving account of Narnia author and Oxford professor C.S. Lewis's romance with American poet and fan, Joy Gresham which takes a dark turn when Joy is diagnosed with cancer. Hopkins at his very best.
½ April 28, 2012
Poetico e romantico dramma di Attenborough; vanta di una fotografia da Oscar, ricca di sfumature colorate e ombreggiature allo stato dell'arte, magnificamente confacenti nel mettere in risalto gli splendidi particolari dei pittoreschi ed ammalianti paesaggi inglesi, grazie anche ad un gioco di luci ardente e penetrante, e una colonna sonora leggera ma armoniosa. Le interpretazioni raffinate impregnano delicatamente la lenta e melodrammatica struttura narrativa; ne fanno da protagonisti da un Anthony Hopkins un pò dandy, ma molto espressivo, e una bravissima e struggente Debra Winger (che in un ruolo simile, aveva già fatto versare fiumi di lacrime nel tristissimo ma memorabile "Terms of Endearment"). Dignitosissime anche le performance dei ruoli comprimari, impersonati da un ancora giovanissimo Joseph Mazzello, e da Edward Hardwicke, nella parte del fratello dello scrittore di successo Jack Lewis.
½ April 6, 2012
"Shadowlands" suffers from being boring at times, but it's well-acted and very beautiful at times. CS Lewis is fascinating, and this movie shows it.
November 4, 2012
CS Lewis - ' I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I am helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, Waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God. It changes me! ' The right attitude towards praying enunciated by Mr CS Lewis. Tremendous stuff!