Director Hired for Live-Action Snow White Epic

Summary

Disney's turning Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs into a live-action action drama, and they just got the guy who helmed Constantine to direct it. And no, today is not April First. Back to Article

Comments

screwhead100

Ben Wellick

lol

Aug 1 - 12:54 PM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

At least it's not a sequel!

Aug 1 - 01:26 PM

okuonuora

Bruce Leroy

Look, why don't you reactionary twats wait until more is revealed about this before writing it off? It's obviously taking many liberties with the most well-known version of the tale (which existed long before Disney made it into a cartoon), but there have been many different versions over the past 200 years. No one said the monks would be dwarves, and the hiring of Yuen Woon-ping ensures some level of action quality. Sure, it could be Warriors of Virtue, but with the director of Constantine/I Am Legend, I'd imagine it'll be fairly dark and not necessarily aimed at the kiddies. In a year or two, you same people might be creaming yourselves waiting to see it.

Aug 1 - 01:27 PM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

Ummm, It surprises me but I read this in my local newspaper about a week ago and that they hired Natalie Portaman and Jet Li for the flick.

Aug 1 - 02:58 PM

CannibalPenguins

Jaja Jaja

[b]How long until we get a live action The Little Mermaid?[/b]

Aug 1 - 04:12 PM

sfpcross

Casey Cross

Did people freak out this much when they heard about Pan's Labyrinth? I first heard about that movie as a new version of Alice in Wonderland, and look how that turned out. Like the guy said before me, the "original" that Disney made was simply a interpretation of an old story just like this is.

Aug 1 - 04:27 PM

Product_of_You

Steven Edwards

I thought a live action movie could be good until I read the plot synopsis. I don't see why they won't just stick to the original story.

P.S. It gets really tiresome seeing almost every comment to every movie idea on this site be a big bash-parade.

Aug 1 - 04:56 PM

LilAlex

First Last

Are they that desperate to up the number of Asians at their park?
I had hoped this crap would end with Eisner.

Aug 1 - 05:50 PM

kungfu_sage

Ian Turner

kudos okuonuora, exactly my sentiments. I don't know if this will be a good movie, but that synopsis was enough to ensure my attention while it develops. And if it turns out the movie rocks, then it will make me happy, cause I would love to see this movie if it's done well.

Aug 1 - 08:03 PM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

Aug 1 - 11:17 PM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

screw disney..... go with warner brothers or something.... ressurect Buce Lee..... get Quentin Taratino for director or producer (either one)..... take out the guy who did constantine..... add in some other guy who is a lot better at making movies..... and for snow white... i don't know... if i really have to choose between those two actors.... i guess i would have to go with Scarlett Johannson as she is a better actor..... and then you will have one kickass martial arts/fairytale R-rated gore-packed action/fantasy/sci-fi film..... oh, and the guy who played mini-mi wouldn't make a bad kung fu dwarf. (i know, these ideas probably sound stupid, but i am just venting for fun)

Aug 1 - 11:18 PM

nav123

Naven Naidoo

Has anyone read Tom Holts "Snow White and the Seven Samurai"?

Aug 2 - 01:43 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

i'm not saying this movie will suck, i'm saying...don't use the snow white and the seven dwarfs thing if its NOT...snooooow white and the seven dwarfs. i think it could be great, WHO KNOWS. but if you take A CLASSIC thats nearing a hundy years old...you're running the risk of the backlash and quite frankly, isn't that why they ARE making it?? the public will be all "wait, what?! they're doing WHAT with my classic movie?!" its purely marketing. get this: "some white chic...trained by monks to fight evil". that sounds like uh...Bruce Wayne has a sister, and its Batgirl Begins. you add the british part? and its JUST as likely to be Mary Poppins...Poppin' a Cap in Evil Everywhere! that is JUST as likely a connection as the 7 dwarves thing. the majority of movie fans are tired of movie connections that have ZERO to do with originals/classics, or are SO bad that they ruin the originals just to make a quick buck. to me, thats why there's backlash ALREADY.

Aug 2 - 06:11 AM

Huntressmoon13

M. K.

This sounds more like the Seven Samurai or the Magnificent Seven (Yeah I know, same story- as was A Bug'S Life) thrown in a blender with Alice and Mulan than a retelling of Snow White.

I'll patiently wait for a better explanation than this!

Aug 2 - 10:11 AM

Novastar.

Nova Lee

Well having Yuen on board at least the action won't suck.Now when theire is a Yuen on a movie ,Jet li is never far from this.So i think the lead will go to Jet(depends on his schedule).Just add the beautifull Portman to it and something interesting might come out of this(at first sight) weirdness.

Aug 4 - 08:34 AM

joe-cartoon

Jack Martin

I vote for Dakota Fanning!

Aug 13 - 05:53 AM

CaptainSiberia

Raymond Ogilvie

It's a bomb! Quick! Duck and cover!

Oct 24 - 01:50 PM

hik-rt

Karen Sesek

This could really work. If anyone has seen recently "Tin Man" on the Sci-Fi channel which was a 6 hour mini-series totally reworking of the Wizard of Oz... that gives me hope that this COULD be good. It could also be done horribly. But there is potential. The "Tin Man" although not brilliant, was very entertaining and although it only loosely followed the stories and characters of the Wizard of Oz, by doing so somehow took the sci-fi newness and then added the charm of the known characters. If they can capture this same thing, it could be great. I think that might be hard to do though. ... And yes, I would prefer 100% new material, but someday someone might do the new and improved. I just don't want to see Disney doing recycled version of every one of their old classics. That would make for a disturbing new Disneyland nobodies kids can go to. I am hoping this one was picked for a reason and they think it is the one that can be done right.

Dec 28 - 10:58 PM

BJL

bryce lewis

I sure hope it'll flop at the box office!

May 7 - 07:32 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday