The Last Man on Earth Reviews

June 18, 2013
The Last Man on Earth is a cult-classic and the first film adaptation of Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" novel, which was about a post-epidemic world where every human was infected by a plague that made them undead vampire-like creatures. Dr. Robert Morgan, played by Vincent Price, suffers from living a redundant life of hunting vampires at day and locking himself away from them at night. Made with an evidently low budget, The Last Man on Earth is actually a very effective movie, although some awful flaws really take away from this otherwise deep character study. This is a film that not only succeeds as a somber post-apocalyptic scenario, but as a study about loneliness, even if it sometimes passes the line of ridiculous.

The Last Man on Earth has great acting by Vincent Price, even if his acting is a little awkward at times, but for the most part, he did a great job at portraying a lonely man in a frightening, somber world. The atmosphere for this world great, and the first fifteen or so minutes set it up brilliantly, using chilling shots of an empty city. However, the greatness stops there, because once night hits and these infected vampire-like creatures swarm Dr. Morgan's house, the film becomes quite ridiculous and even laughably bad. It took me out of the film considering I was gripped for the first fifteen minutes, but although these creatures are supposed to be weak and unintelligent, the way they were shown was downright bad. The nature of these creatures are also a bit confusing, as they seem more like a mix of a vampire and a zombie. Thankfully, they don't have nearly as much screen time as Vincent Price, who is really the highlighting point of this film.

However, around the middle, a series of flashbacks show how Earth ended up in this current state through the events that led up to it, and unfortunately, supporting characters are introduced and are very unevenly acted, making Vincent Price oddly seem out of place. Lots of the emotional impact that this film could've had is unfortunately lost within the supporting cast's talents, but the flashbacks are interesting enough to forgive the faults. I also oddly feel like Vincent Price's character as Robert Morgan is both deep and one-dimensional, because although many of his scenes show his emptiness and isolation effectively as a person, he doesn't have too many layers to his character. At least he's acted well, and he's probably the best thing to come out of this film. Thankfully, the atmosphere throughout the movie still feels very grim, and there's always a sense that something isn't right. The ending is also great, and confirms that this film really isn't a feel-good one. The Last Man on Earth presents some very good ideas and is well-intentioned, and for the most part, it stays as an interesting, eerie film.

It sounds like I wasn't fond of The Last Man on Earth, but in reality, I did find myself enjoying this film more times than not. It could've been a lot better, yes, and the production isn't the best, but it deserves praise because it's effective, and it works as great entertainment. It's an overall uneven success, and sometimes its a nightmarish world but at other times it borders downright ridiculous, but I'm giving this a positive review because this is recommendable as both an eerie film and great entertainment, although this was close to a negative review. It doesn't dig deep all too far in its narrative, but its an effective and convincing portrayal of a scenario like this. Whether this review makes it sound bad or not, The Last Man on Earth is still worth at least checking out, and I'm glad I didn't dismiss it.
June 17, 2013
While a cheaply done and flawed film, it however remains quite compelling if nothing more than for Price's performance alone.
½ April 29, 2013
I find Vincent Price movies great.
April 20, 2013
While my first memores of Vincent Price were of an elderly host on a TV show, his younger years were spent stringing together an impressive line of acting performances. "The Last Man on Earth" is one of those. It's zombie meets vampire at the end of Humanity. Several flashback scenes to a life that once was provide adequate nostalgia to draw the viewer in and make them care about this otherwise bleak story.

Key scenes include the burning pit to which Price takes his Vampire victims, Vincent Price trying to play it cool while being totally scared, reclined on his couch, and an end that includes an angry mob. Great flick!
April 16, 2013
Possibly the most intelligent zombie movies ever made.
April 5, 2013
Sounds Sweet for an old movie
½ March 20, 2013
i had been wanting to see this for some time, its pretty well known in the horror film circles, and its based off a well known novel, but damn this was bad, the production value is just awful, all the dialogue is badly synced and dubbed, the zombies are some of the stupidest things ive ever seen, and there are several logic lapses, i love vincent price but this is sadly one of his lesser works
March 19, 2013
My favorite Price film.
March 4, 2013
The Last Man on Earth falls under troubled logic, stumbling into vagueness and unreliable delivery. Vincent Price is great but his performance doesn't age well (nor does much of the stylistic elements of the film). Although, it is still thought-provoking through some angles and poses some serious questions that aren't explored too intensely.
February 16, 2013
Definitely one of Vincent Price's best movies. Acting isn't great, but it's not bad either. Somewhere in between. What with silly lines like "Come out Morgan!" and what not. Creepy vocal music, but it's hardly scary. All in all it's a good late night popcorn flick.
February 17, 2013
I love the cinematography in this, it's just so beautiful to look at in some scenes, how they're composed, the lighting. THE LAST MAN ON EARTH titles...i just want to EAT. I think this is one of Price's more non cheesy roles, i mean, he just looks badass carrying that stake! That probably IS cheesy in itself but uhh...those vampires look awfully creepy, creepier than anything i've seen vampire related recently.
½ January 27, 2013
Another great performance from Vincent Price!
½ January 14, 2013
A forgotten Vincent Price movie that is the original film based on the novel I AM LEGEND. It's a pretty effective tale of horror and the apocalypse and one of Price's stronger performances.
January 14, 2013
Very much reminded me of the book I Am Legend, but the book was better as is the remake that follows the book even less. Vincent Price did a fine job and wasn't over-the-top like he usually is and was quite fun to follow. This was one of his tougher, yet better performances.
December 24, 2012
Great performance by Vincent Price wasted on an awful vampire/zombie movie? To much going on in just over 80 minutes to make you care.
December 22, 2012
The most faithful film adaptation of Richard Matheson's novel "I Am Legend" but still a far cry from being as good as the novel. I probably still like "The Omega Man" best, even though it's not all that close to the original story. This was the first adaptation and was originally going to be made by Hammer Films, which probably would have resulted in a much better film. Instead you get a low budget Italian production with a somewhat miscast Vincent Price. However, there are moments throughout the film of the great film it could have been; empty highways littered with bodies, price monotonously carving wooden stakes, Price falling asleep and waking up after dark, then having to fight his way home through a swash of vampires, etc... What's most disappointing is that most of these moments all happen near the start of the film and a majority of the film feels like a cruel let down. The lengthy flashback in the middle of the film dramatizing how Price became the last man on Earth is long and painfully boring. The story then focuses on Price's search for companionship, in which the audience it sadly not all that invested in. Still, there was certainly no film like this before it and it is undeniable the influence this film had on later horror films like "Night of the Living Dead." Worth watching for horror aficionados or end-of-the-world film fans, but overall it feels like a big let down.
½ December 21, 2012
this is the first version of this later re-done as 'the omega man' and recently as 'i am legend' some consider this the best version i still prefer the charlton heston version best.
December 13, 2012
i'm going to need more garlic and mirrors whoooo haha