70% The Equalizer Sep 26

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Sherman's March Reviews

August 20, 2014
This was a great documentary and so beautifully done. He perfectly conveys all the charms of the South and all its stubbornness. McElwee certainly objectifies the women he pursues, constantly depicting them as the kind of mystical and unobtainable women labeled MPDG. Yet these portrayals seem intentional and self aware so I am willing to forgive them. Also, the bits about Sherman and the parallels he draws between Sherman's campaign and his own love life are so spot on.
May 26, 2013
A man looks for history, ends up spending much of his time chasing emotionally unavailable women. Funny and entertaining.
April 12, 2013
Another one where I respect it more than I actually enjoyed sitting through all NEARLY THREE HOURS of it, "Sherman's March" is during its peaks a meditation-as-essay-as-documentary pretty much on par with the hugely imaginative and cheekily lustful writings of David Foster Wallace, David Sedaris and Dave Eggers. In other words, this movie calls up as many D's as that alien chick from "Total Recall" (NOT THE COLIN FARRELL ONE.)
March 25, 2013
A disarmingly engaging personal documentary, Sherman's March is a portrait of a man in personal crisis that is also an often hilarious ode to Southern women. Filmmaker Ross McElwee states in the film's opening shots that, as a native Southerner, he had always been fascinated with the psychological effect that Union General William Tecumseh Sherman has had on the region. To that end, he intended to make a film that would retrace the route of the general's famous march that brought so much ... More
December 26, 2012
Seedy sunbelt epic drips ennui, insects.
February 11, 2013
theres not really been a movie like this before or sense.
September 23, 2012
i kept wondering what happened to those survivalists now, it might be interesting if he revisited all these folks today to see what happens...
September 3, 2012
A remarkable and detailed journey through the South with a fantastic cast of interesting, very human, and very real women. This is probably one of my favorite documentaries because it is not simply a document of a particular time and place...it's a real journey, and I felt that and didn't want to leave. I loved it dearly. There's one scene that haunts me especially. There's a woman that Ross meets who plays guitar and sings almost exactly like Joan Baez. She plays Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" in a very soft and beautiful rendition. That song and the way it's played just feels like the paradoxical anchor of the film to me, because the film is about the search for love, and that search is arduous and frustrating, not so simple as the song itself. Ross spends a great deal of time with this one woman, Charlene, who's trying extremely fanatically to set him up with someone so that he can get married and have children. She pounds into Ross's already uncertain head how much he needs to be more passionate, and poetic, and more this and that. So, do people really love us just the way we are, or are they always hoping for something more?
August 27, 2012
Punk documentary filmmaking for the hopeless romantic. One of the best surprises '80s cinema has to offer.
May 22, 2012
Sherman's March is simply one of the greatest and most epic documentaries ever created. Rarely do epic two and a half hour documentaries show themselves to be worth watching, but this film does!
whosinthenews
whosinthenews

May 7, 2012
Not only is Sherman's March a beautiful portrait of one man's personal journey through the strange tapestry of love and history, it's a wonderful snapshot of the American south in the early 80's. Heartwarming, hilarious, insightful, seemingly everyone in Ross's life is full of a kind of esoteric wisdom about life and existence. What makes any documentary great is how much personality a filmmaker can squeeze from the subject in a brief window of time. Ross McElwee's talent lies in his almost priestly ability to get people talking, about everything. This shy, unassuming man is like a great cosmic sponge who gets closer to unraveling the great mystery of woman more than anything else I've seen.
January 4, 2012
Odd, slow, but in the end absolutely brilliant documentary about a chap who wants to make a documentary about General Sherman's march across the South of the USA, but gets dumped by his girlfriend and decides to go on the search for love too. A snapshot of a society I'll never see, in more ways than one.
December 12, 2011
A guy goes out to make a Documentary film about the civil war, only to have it backfire. I loved this film about finding love and wondering if it will ever happen!!!! I hear he has alot more films and I plan to watch them all.
November 20, 2011
Was a wonderful and honest surprise.
April 14, 2011
One of the best and most exhilaratingly unusual documentaries I've ever seen. More fascinating "characters" than 90% of ALL movies!
February 15, 2011
Excellent film about director Ross McElwee setting off to make a documentary about Civil War Union General Sherman's march of destruction across the south, but never being able to stay on topic. Instead, though in the same general area of Sherman, McElwee is often distracted by women. His parents and so many others want him married and find it unusual that he has not settled down. During the film, McElwee meets many women, all of whom have interesting relationships to the director. The film shows a males nature that regardless of his intentions, he will so often become distracted by sex. There are also some very funny moments, one in particular involving Burt Reynolds. An absolute must-see, unique film, slightly too long, but nevertheless fantastic.
May 31, 2010
Kind of disjointed, much like real life. Not bad, I like the first-person perspective. The camera as an appendage of Ross McElwee is, for the most part, effective, and he doesn't spare much detail. That's where occasional boredom arises I guess, some parts are exactly like real life, and while the ultra-obnoxious Charleen tries to delineate life from artistry, I don't believe Ross sees much of any distinction (not that he doesn't understand there's a time and a place for the camera.)
March 19, 2008
While the premise is about the director recording a series of encounters with various women in the South in search of romantic relationships, what's really interesting was the slew of characters he meets during his journey along Sherman's path and their life, dreams, and their views on topics such as the Civil War and threat of nuclear war. These are made possible through McElwee's use of camera as a solicitor, a key into their more private life. This is very much like the cinema verite technique used by Rouch and Morin in Chronicle of a Summer. In the end the film is very much about Sherman and his march, except it is filtered through McElwee's parallel journey for love, all the while being an ethographic study of Southern identity. And yes it's hilarious as well.
October 20, 2008