97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Il Sorpasso (The Easy Life) Reviews

Matty Stanfield
May 1, 2014
I first saw this film in the 1990's. It wasn't that I disliked it as much as I felt indifferent toward it. There is such a dramatic shift in tone by the time the movie reaches its end. Upon my second viewing, via the newly remastered Criterion release, I realized that there was much more going on throughout this movie than I noticed in my early twenties. Dino Risi's film has psychological and cultural depth. And, though it is hardly the first road movie --- it has the feel of many firsts in cinema. This is most certainly a film of joy, tragedy, hope and note. However, Bruno's car horn still drives me up the wall.
June 24, 2013
Un film che rappresenta due stili diversi di intendere la vita e che di fatto rappresenta un po' tutti noi. Il film e' fatto bene ma gli manca quel qualcosa che stupisca lo spettatore e che gli faccia dire che si trova davanti ad un vero capolavoro. Anche il finale, non banale ma si capisce troppo presto come andra' a finire.
March 19, 2013
Masterpiece. That's the role of art: providing new ways to see life.
February 10, 2013
a great film by Dino Risi with Vittorio Gassman and Jean-Louis Tirtignant. really worh seeing
January 6, 2013
My favorite film. Absolute masterpiece to me. I am in love with Italians discovering consumer society, I am in love with Vittorio Gassman's desire to live, I am in love with Jean-Louis Trintignant's journey, I am in love with 1962 and all the good movies made that year.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

December 10, 2012
"Il Sorpasso" starts with Bruno(Vittorio Gassman) driving into a nearly deserted Rome from Amalfi. While there, he asks to use the phone of Roberto(Jean-Louis Trintignant), a law student, who hesitatingly agrees. It is then that Bruno remembers that he is already an hour late for a date. So, he takes his new friend away from his studies to find lunch somewhere which is a tricky business, considering this is the August holiday. So, they head to to the city outskirts where instead of food, they discover a couple of cute German women heading in the same direction and accidentally follow them into a graveyard...

I had always suspected the buddy road comedy had been around a good long time, considering how stale it has grown. Well, in 1962, the idea was still fresh and "Il Sorpasso" is definitely an entertaining take on that idea.(And, oh my, that ending!) Or maybe it's not quite the plot that really matters, as decently executed as it is, with its share of unpredictability especially concerning Bruno's back story, but rather what it has to say about postwar Italy and not only in the obvious comments about Italian drivers.(A record player as an optional extra?) What we have here is a country torn in two different directions, going forwards so quickly that it forgets what happens two seconds in the past. And it's funny to see how wrong Bruno is about the future. Plus, contrary to him and "Back to the Future 2," we are always going to need lawyers and people like Roberto to do the thinking.
September 24, 2012
Muy buena, gracias fede por hacer que descubra esta joya del cine
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Mabel.
diegodelavega
November 17, 2008
the most successful film by Dino Risi, even if based only on the constrast bewtween the main characters, is a good film, clever, and funny. The problem is that it's too demanding, and it fails balancing comedy and tragedy.
eddiespecial
January 21, 2010
superba interpretazione di Vittorio !!
Pierluigi P

December 20, 2007
Hysterical satire with wonderful dialogue and two excellent performances, Trintignant is a quiet and absent minded youngster, and Gassman is his mischievous, older but less mature counterpart, they meet one morning, take a country ride and enjoy the best weekend of their lives.

Dino Risi's masterpiece.
July 17, 2008
"Non bevi, non fumi, non sai nemmeno guidare la macchina?ma ti godi la vita tu?"

Vittorio Gassman is perfect in the role of Bruno. Great cast especially the supporting role of J. L. Trintignant. Adorable and very sexy the beautiful teenager daughter of Bruno played by Catherine Spaak. Il Sorpasso depicted in great reality the sweet bitter life of the 60's in Italy.
The perfect road movie, filled with deep characters and great locations between Rome the Tuscan Riviera.
This film is filled with humor and sadness.

Mamma mia quanto bella Catherine Spaak!
wellmeetagain
May 23, 2008
Recommended by Mabel.
February 21, 2008
DINO RISI ,one of the great filmmakers in Italy after WW2 . THE ART !
starring Vittorio Gassman , a magnificent actor { special in theater and teacher