Weekly Ketchup: Sci-Fi at the Oscars, Raimi eyes The Shadow

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes sequel news for Enchanted and the Fast and the Furious franchise, as well as possible new projects for directors Steven Spielberg, Sam Raimi, Terrence Malick and McG. Back to Article

Comments

JS

j s

Great comment on the fun factor of movies in regard to Avatar.

I need to catch up on some of these Best Pic nods so I can make a guesstamation.

Man, just my opinion..but Blind Side is extremly over rated(is over rated one word?). It was a descent movie, but 'cmon!! Academy is really going to tell me that Blind Side was better storytelling than Star Trek!!

Also, should A Serious Man really be in the running for best pic too? Ya, it was unique and smart, but not very entertaining. But just my opinion.

Feb 6 - 02:41 PM

S.C.U.B.A.

Bodhi Bastable

Agred Blind Side is a good/ok movie but not academy worthy. It will be between Avatar and The Hurt Locker. Maybe just maybe Up in the Air will win. I can only hope.

Feb 6 - 04:21 PM

Zak

Zak Lopopolo

Up for best picture anyone?

Feb 6 - 06:07 PM

vashfanatic

Martha Boatright

Just watched "Moon" tonight... man, that was an amazing movie! I've enjoyed "Avatar," "Stark Trek," and "District 9," but "Moon" just blows them out of the water. You're right, it was TOTALLY snubbed.

Feb 6 - 07:27 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

SAM RAIMI . . .
he could have SUED COLUMBIA'S ARSES-OFF for reneging on having himn to direct SPIDERMAN 4; columbia gave raimi a "lateral transfer to THE SHADOW . . .
well, maybe SAM RAIMI'S DARKMAN will join forces with THE SHADOW.

ledawg 1138 is right: AVATAR kicks A$S TOTALLY!!!!!

Feb 6 - 07:36 PM

drew h.

drew howard

Iakobos:You are probably the only person that i actually agree with. Everyone here is raving about how district 9 is amazing and that it deserves the win. Yes, there were some cool aspects of the movie, but the main character was very "one dimensional" and there were many plotholes. Up won't win cause it may be considered too kidish, but it was probably the funniest movie i saw this year. Star Trek was also fantastic. And i don't think that James Cameron was going for an original story when he made Avatar, the film was meant to be a "spectacle" to the eyes. Also, where the heck is (500) Days of Summer?!?!?!

Feb 6 - 07:43 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

it was good but not great

Feb 6 - 08:07 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

it was good but not great

Feb 6 - 08:07 PM

askingseven

Garrett Cooper

McG is one of the many God-awful hacks working in hollywood today. Whomever decided to put his talentless mitts on T:S deserves to be dragged into the streets and shot. How in the blue **** does gutter-trash like McG still get work?

I don't get all the hating on Avatar. I saw it in IMAX 3D twice, and was blown away both times. Sure, the story wasn't throbbing with originality, but I was totally entranced by Pandora. You can tell while you're watching a movie whether or not the people who worked on it cared. Avatar emminated love for the craft.

Inglorious Basterds was the same way. I already know that QT loves movies, but it showed in the way Basterds was executed, and not just because of the story. I'm glad it was nominated.

The Academy Awards suck. There is never a consensus on which movie is the best, or why, and there shouldn't be. Movies are as varied as the people who watch them. Some are great, some are dirty, some are lazy, and some are worthless bags of douche. At least it's not the "people's" choice awards where New Moon wins every award despite being the cinematic equivalent of mass rape and genocide.

Feb 6 - 10:54 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

@askingseven

McG is a hack? Might I remind you Uwe Boll has been payed to direct films. Boll makes McG look like a Spielberg level genius. Not to excuse McG's awfulness but merely pointing out that he isn't the only example of abysmal untalentedness.....

Feb 6 - 11:11 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

@askingseven

Feb 6 - 11:11 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

As much as I liked District 9, and I did, it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. There I said it. It was good but not great, still its cool that something I wasn't expecting like District 9 got a Best Pic nom...

Of the 10 best picture nominees I've seen Up In The Air, Avatar, Up, Inglourious Basterds & District 9...and of those I'd like to see Up In The Air win the award...though I'll be seeing The Hurt Locker next week so that might change but I doubt it, Up In The Air was amazing...it was one of the best films I've ever seen and instantly entered my top 10 so I'd like to see it get some recognition. Avatar was awesome too, in fact I've seen it twice, but I'd prefer Up In The Air to clean up at the Oscars...

Feb 7 - 03:29 AM

Replicant Lems

david leeman

Did Memento even get nominated. I don't remember one of my top 5 of all time. Guy Pearce should have won best actor as well. The academy awards really suck. They get stuff right once in a while but that's it. District 9 or Inglorious Basterds for best picture

Feb 7 - 06:05 AM

Replicant Lems

david leeman

Jeff Bridges will win. I'm a huge Rockwell fan. He was absolutely brilliant in the underappreciated Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. I'm sick of seeing Clooney play himself all the time and get praised for it. Needs more roles like Burn After Reading.

Feb 7 - 06:13 AM

Dezy T.

Dezy Tinwin

Inglourious Basterds FTW
Moon deserved to be nominated.
Let's see how they funk up the oscars this time.

Feb 7 - 07:51 AM

drew h.

drew howard

Ya all this praise for District 9 is getting on my nerves. IGN gave it 5/5, so i was going into the theater expecting a masterpiece, it was far from that. Also, why isn't Pete Doctor up for Best Director? Now that's one category i wouldn't mind being expanded.

Feb 7 - 11:30 AM

SciFiMan

Andrew Turner

District 9 was awesome. Read my review - if you can think of any eloquent counters for why I am wrong and why District 9 sucks you might have something - but after reading it I think your reaction will be to be a dip**** RT user that gives -1 to stuff without argument to further their own agenda. District 9 - I say that this is the best sci-fi of all time. ALL FREAKING TIME. I think Sharlto should have gotten the Actor nom and won it - HANDS DOWN - that was the best performance I have ever seen. District 9 is for intelligent folk that don't have a weak stomach - I will give you that - but it is a VERY DAMN GOOD movie. "Ranks up there with Blade Runner" is god-damn right, and it ranks above it and above Empire and 2001 and ET if you ask me. Yes, it is that good. (or it is at least from a casual perspective on the same level as the other great sci-fi films)

Feb 7 - 11:40 AM

SciFiMan

Andrew Turner

Feb 7 - 11:40 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Judging by the general tone/ sentiment of most of this discussion, I must really be one of the few people out there who actually appreciates most of this years list of BP nominees.

D9 - Great, solid original picture. The acting and directing was awesome and I thought the pacing and editing suited the film very well. The very first night that I saw it I knew it would not be enjoyed or loved as much by everyone but that does not detract from the fact that it is a well made movie. Im sorry but as picky as I am, I would never let something as trivial as the lack of the explanation of the black fluid in D9 ruin a movie for me. George Lucas tried to be too cute with his explanation of The Force and (personally) that tainted a lot of the mystery behind Star Wars and seemed to make The Force seem a lot less than what it should have been.

Inglourious Basterds - As much of a QT fan as I am, I am still not 100% about IB. Like all of his movies, the beauty is in the dialogue and characterisation and whilst I really enjoyed the development, story and the ending I still think the main problem could lie with the film's pacing. I would also like to echo the sentiment of some other posters, Laurent deserves the same if not the same amount of recognition as Waltz, she was very good in this movie.

Avatar - I am happy for all of Avatar's success so far, sometimes I feel that people get too much pleasure or enjoyment out of seeing something fail or do poorly. Cameron took on an enormous risk developing this movie, you all know it, it just burns deep inside that something so many believed (and badly wanted) to fail has done so ridiculously well.

I will be the first to admit that Avatar compared to the other nominess didnt have the story, dialogue or character development that movies like D9,IB or The Hurt Locker but it did have likeable characters, good pacing considering its running time and an enjoyable story. Borrowing from the good Colonel 'thats a potent mix'. We can only speculate of the reasons behind its popularity

Feb 7 - 12:26 PM

iakobos

J Taylor

NTROST writes:
on Feb 05 2010 11:07 PM
@iakobos
"District 9 has too many plot holes"
What plot holes?
==============================================
I'll give you two holes that bothered me. [Spoiler Alert since there's still one person on RT who hasn't seen District 9.]
I can accept a black liquid that enables a ship to fly. And I can accept a black liquid that turns a human into prawn. But a black liquid that simultaneously makes ships fly and turns humans into prawns? Sorry but I don't buy it. Yeah I know this is sci-fi but even sci-fi has to have some basis in reality or in established sci-fi principles. And in reality, and all other sci-fi, stuff that makes ships fly kills humans. It doesn't turn them into aliens. That part of the plot took me right out of the movie because I didn't buy into it.

Plot hole 2. Do you really expect me to believe that the most wanted (and militarily untrained) human in Johannesburg and an illegal alien could march into a heavily fortified building, go up against heavily armed and special forces trained mercenaries and escape? I don't think so. And because I didn't buy it, again I fell right out of belief in the story.

Now for an average sci-fi flick, those may not be plot holes that are all that bad. But for an Oscar contender they would be a death knell against my vote.

Feb 7 - 01:49 PM

SciFiMan

Andrew Turner

iakobos: no. Your plot holes are wrong.

1. Who the HELL are you to presume what these substances are and how they work? They used some kind of Chemistry set to make the black fluid that gives their stuff power AND that turned Wikus into a Prawn while the black stuff in the machines seemed to be some kind of cardiovascular system - and it was also made apparent that this substance was different from the other substance - in the beginning of the movie I might add - where they collect it up and do something to it. You are not entitled to say anything about the technology here - I feel like I am talking to Roger Ebert who hates Star Trek because they use Warp Travel to get places and his ideas about how Warp Travel should work in terms of human frame of reference VS technological automation are IDIOTIC. I wrote a rant about that. I also felt like it was ingenious - these fluids - why would it turn Wikus into a Prawn for example? I bet the answer might have something to do with how these Prawns are able to get across multiple galaxies and be as complex and far advanced as they are.

2. There was a scene that was deleted that showed them stealing a tank and driving it to the MNU building - the tank can still be clearly seen at the beginning of the MNU building sequence. These guys were desperate and needed to get the fluid - this caused them to go to extraordinary measures to get what they need to get the job done. It worked because MNU had found where Wikus had been talking on his phone and they sent their guys out there - meanwhile Wikus shows up at MNU with a gun that can make people/objects EXPLODE, he knows the internal layout of the building and he had security access (that it turns out still worked). Also, Fundiswa Mhlanga tells us in the end that these idiots didn't do a good job of hiding their experimental practices and Wikus had seen them first hand because he was held by these people for a short time.

I don%u2019t see any plot holes. This movie is intended for an intellectual audience and I think you have to put more thought into why you feel like these are plot holes!

Feb 7 - 03:00 PM

SciFiMan

Andrew Turner

iakobos: no. Your plot holes are wrong.

Feb 7 - 03:00 PM

iakobos

J Taylor

I presumed nothing. I simply watched the movie and reported what I saw. That's the facts, not presumption. Hey if you like it fine. It didn't work for me. And don't compare me to Roger Ebert's dislike of Star Trek. That's the kind of lame analysis of an ignorant person who missed my earlier post were I said that of the nominations, Star Trek was my favorite because I'm a Trekker from way back.

As for the missing scene that explains how they were able to get in so easily that's called a PLOT HOLE because an important piece of information that would have justified the plot was left on the cutting room floor. I probably still wouldn't have bought the whole break in and break out but regardless you need to get over yourself.

Feb 7 - 09:41 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

the liquid aspect is not a plothole. Just because it not believable to you does not make it a plot hole.

Feb 8 - 01:55 AM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>